User Avatar Image

Reason why they likely won't focus much on the future as a setting...

posted by sn939 on - last edited - Viewed by 512 users

A lot of fans were disappointed that the game did not offer us the glimpse of Hill Valley's future which we thought we'd been promised with OUTATIME. Well, we did have the nice little coda in the end with the three alternate future Marty's...but frankly, I really don't think Telltale is ever really going to explore the future for any significant length of time in future installments, if any.

The reason is quiet simple...the series' philosophy, as revealed at the end of BTTF3, has been, by and large, that the 'future is not written'. This is reinforced at the end of the game, when Marty asks Doc which of the three Marty's is him and Doc says "Isn't it obvious", implying that he's the only REAL Marty, because the future is not written and the other Marty's are thus only projections of possible futures.

Now...if the future is not written, and nothing that we see of Marty, or any other character's destiny, is set in stone (because they can all be changed with the minimum of effort once Marty and Doc are back in the 1980's and live out their lives into a new future), then there really is no point in our investing much time in a plot line which we know doesn't really make a difference to the characters because its only a 'possible future'.

I mean, if you consider BTTF2...well the sole reason for showing us the future was to show us what kind of sci-fi wonderland Hill Valley's become. True, we also learn about Marty's messed up future, and his messed up kids...but ultimately, at the end of BTTF3, we learn that whatever Marty and Doc did to help Marty Jr was meaningless ultimately because the future wasn't written anyway, from their POV. In fact, I've always believed Doc's real motive in bringing Marty to help his son is so that Marty himself matures over the course of his experiances and gets over his 'chicken problem'.

Ultimately, if you look at it, the only real lasting significance the 2015 segment has to the overall plot is Old Biff stealing the Delorean and Almanac and altering the past...so once again, it is the PAST which is the focus of the series, and NOT the future.

So even if we do catch a glimpse of the future...expect it to be nothing more than a sneak peek which, at most, sets up the main plotline which is concerned with the past. After all, its only if Marty and Doc are in the past, that they can truly get "Back...to the Future"!

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think tehy have setup the perfect future plot.

    The 3 marty's plunging around time are threatening to collapse of the entirety of time; our marty has to go into the future to track them down and stop all 3 before they kill time; eg get each bk to their own timeline and get them stuck there.

  • Am I the only one who really isn't THAT concerned about the 3 Marty's and their supposed 'potential' to screw up time?

    From what I understand, all three Marty's are possible future selves of 'our' Marty...in other words, they've all diverged more or less from each other on May 15th 1986 (i.e. the time of the end of the Game)...they're unlikely to screw around with Marty's timeline BEFORE that date, because it would affect each of THEIR personal histories...and anything AFTER that is fair game from 'our' Marty and Doc's POV because the 'future isn't written yet'...

  • The whole point is: There SHOULD NOT be multiples from various timelines co-existing and they are "fighting" tweaking timelines to try and get rid of each other. The fact all 3 exist with 3 separate deloreans has the potential to tear the university apart. Hence it does matter to our Marty and Doc

  • @sn939 said: Am I the only one who really isn't THAT concerned about the 3 Marty's and their supposed 'potential' to screw up time?

    From what I understand, all three Marty's are possible future selves of 'our' Marty...in other words, they've all diverged more or less from each other on May 15th 1986 (i.e. the time of the end of the Game)...they're unlikely to screw around with Marty's timeline BEFORE that date, because it would affect each of THEIR personal histories...and anything AFTER that is fair game from 'our' Marty and Doc's POV because the 'future isn't written yet'...


    Bingo. I would also add the fact that marty undergoes some pretty important time travels prior to may 15th which they wouldnt want to mess with (the trips we see in the game) hence why they all show up just after Marty gets back.

    @sn939 said: The whole point is: There SHOULD NOT be multiples from various timelines co-existing and they are "fighting" tweaking timelines to try and get rid of each other. The fact all 3 exist with 3 separate deloreans has the potential to tear the university apart. Hence it does matter to our Marty and Doc

    Think of it this way; biff shows up in 1955 specifically from 2015 of the second version of the timeline (first being the original one at the beginning of part I). The belief is that in the third timeline (the biffhoric one) Biff is dead by 2015 but let's assume he's not and gets a delorean in that timeline and goes back to 1955; now we have 2 biffs from 2 different timelines. The timeline has changed several times since then an so lets say biff gets a delorean again in the current timeline and goes back to 1955; exact same scenario we see at the end of the game.

    And it's never revealed whether or not those 3 marty's are from the same year. One talks about his great great grankids meaning one of 2 things; due to a rejuvination clinic he's living to a very old age (seamus is marty's great x 2 grandfather so following similar timelines it would likely be around the 2080s) or this marty has traveled into HIS future.


    I could see this as a Scrooge type scenario; Marty seeing different futures depending on his choices.

    I don't know if there's enough material to make a potential second season have a central future year like they did with 1931; traveling into the past you see the cause and effect wheras going to the future you could only see this if you had a newspaper or photo. If there is a second season it will likely go one of 2 ways;
    1) we'd see different eras in the future which would be good so we can rekindle with Griff and Marty Jr.
    2) it goes somewhat like part II: we see the future and then another era in the past. Mind you we already saw 2 alternate presents and an alternate past in season 1 so not sure how many of those they could do (though when dealing with the future there's infinite possibilities).

  • @Michael J Fox is Canadian said:
    I could see this as a Scrooge type scenario; Marty seeing different futures depending on his choices.

    I don't know if there's enough material to make a potential second season have a central future year like they did with 1931; traveling into the past you see the cause and effect wheras going to the future you could only see this if you had a newspaper or photo. If there is a second season it will likely go one of 2 ways;
    1) we'd see different eras in the future which would be good so we can rekindle with Griff and Marty Jr.
    2) it goes somewhat like part II: we see the future and then another era in the past. Mind you we already saw 2 alternate presents and an alternate past in season 1 so not sure how many of those they could do (though when dealing with the future there's infinite possibilities).



    Yeah, I agree...when you see stuff changing in the past, you know it will have an impact on Marty's present, and there is the possibility that it will endanger his existence (e.g. Arthur McFly being killed, Emmett not becoming a scientist et all)...so the stakes are high. With the future, it really doesn't make much of a difference, because you know Marty can simply go back to 1986 and lead his life differently...OR you wonder why Marty and Doc even take the effort to alter the future when they could simply say "Oh what the hell...this stuff isn't even going to HAPPEN for another thirty years!"

  • Sorry, I find this reasoning quite stupid.

    Marty's life might be crucial to the world of BTTF, but I'm having a hard time whatever he changes about it could alter THE WHOLE world.

    The Future might not be "set in stone", but... Well, neither is... THE PAST.

    Marty's present is the past's future. He knows things, he changes things in the past, that changes his present. It's kinda the same.

    Going to the future doesn't mean it's a bogus world... Moreover, they dared to set the plot line majorly in 1931 where there were almost nobody we knew from the movies, why couldn't we see a distant future then ?

    Aren't you guys interested in our Heroes' legacy ? About how the crazy world of BTTF can evolve ? Sure there might be some problem they have to "fix" in the past (which is their present), but that's the whole point of BTTF, isn't it ?

    I find the excuse of saying "oh lol they can just change the future" the most lazy answer ever. They're changing the past, the present, I don't see what's wrong with changing the future.

    Moreover, Doc might have said that, but it's also completely stupid.

    The future IS set in stone. If you take into consideration the fact that it was always planned that Marty would see a possible future and change his life according to what he saw.

    Either you take time travel as a variable to deal with, and that means, of course, that the future can be changed just as much as the past, either the future is already written, since no matter what our characters do, the future already knows....

    Doc just meant that what Marty saw was not necessarily what will happen. But BECAUSE he saw it. Otherwise it would have happened.

    If Telltale really goes that route of having nothing ever mattering in the future, they're just extremely lazy and unoriginal.

  • @Strayth said: Sorry, I find this reasoning quite stupid.

    Marty's life might be crucial to the world of BTTF, but I'm having a hard time whatever he changes about it could alter THE WHOLE world.

    The Future might not be "set in stone", but... Well, neither is... THE PAST.

    Marty's present is the past's future. He knows things, he changes things in the past, that changes his present. It's kinda the same.

    Going to the future doesn't mean it's a bogus world... Moreover, they dared to set the plot line majorly in 1931 where there were almost nobody we knew from the movies, why couldn't we see a distant future then ?

    Aren't you guys interested in our Heroes' legacy ? About how the crazy world of BTTF can evolve ? Sure there might be some problem they have to "fix" in the past (which is their present), but that's the whole point of BTTF, isn't it ?

    I find the excuse of saying "oh lol they can just change the future" the most lazy answer ever. They're changing the past, the present, I don't see what's wrong with changing the future.

    Moreover, Doc might have said that, but it's also completely stupid.

    The future IS set in stone. If you take into consideration the fact that it was always planned that Marty would see a possible future and change his life according to what he saw.

    Either you take time travel as a variable to deal with, and that means, of course, that the future can be changed just as much as the past, either the future is already written, since no matter what our characters do, the future already knows....

    Doc just meant that what Marty saw was not necessarily what will happen. But BECAUSE he saw it. Otherwise it would have happened.

    If Telltale really goes that route of having nothing ever mattering in the future, they're just extremely lazy and unoriginal.



    Let me clarify...I have NOTHING against setting the sequel at least partially in the future. In fact, I would love to see the new 2015 (or will it be 2016 now) and a more successful version of Future Marty and a Marty Jr who isn't a wimp.

    What I'm saying is that, given the way time travel in BTTF is revealed to work, from Marty and Doc's POV, the future plot line is unlikely to hold as high stakes for them (or ANY stakes for them, for that matter) as much as a plot line in the past.

    I agree, changing the past is technically the same as changing the future. But, from Marty's POV, a change in the past could endanger HIS existence in his present form and completely erase life as he remembers it...whereas, a change in the future doesn't really affect his existence. Sure, seeing possible futures can influence his own decisions (thus spawning OTHER possible futures!)...but from Marty's POV, anything he sees in the future is only hypothetical (that doesn't make the future 'bogus'-after all, it is still the 'most likely future' at the time of the time traveler's departure from the present).

    I mean, look at it this way. Say you have Kid Tannen about to kill Arthur McFly in 1931. And on the other hand, you have Griff trying to kill Marty Jr. in, say, 2025. Now both occurences would alarm Marty and cause him emotional distress, because his family member is being threatened in both cases. And he will no doubt do his best to try and save both of them. But ultimately, even if Marty fails to prevent his son's death in the future, then no matter how much it pains him, he knows that from his POV, it hasn't happened YET, and he can simply go back to 1986, live out his life, and somehow ensure that Marty Jr doesn't fall into Griff's clutches.

    Whereas, if he fails to prevent Arthur's murder, then he's basically screwed because he will be erased from existence!

    The stakes are DEFINITELY higher when alterations to the PAST are concerned...

  • Look at it this way; the vast majority of the plot in part I couldn't have happened if marty went to say 2015 instead of 1955;

    -impossible to erase his own existance
    -you're basically removing any and all scenarios of knowing what will happen (lightning bolt at the clock tower, dance)
    -doc WOULD be dead for sure (he was shot by lybians)
    -you couldn't have the scenario marty had of meeting his parents as teenagers. Nor could you have his kids there if he's seemingly stranded in the future

    Or try and apply the games concept to 2031 instead of 1931
    -well the whole edna/newspaper puzzle would be pointless. Marty would have no way to find doc without the last time displayed working
    -Even if marty is able to read the last time departed, he'd have no clue where to find doc in the future.
    -you lose the entire plotline of marty having to meet another version of emmett
    -as mentioned the fading plotline would be impossible
    -The only possible way to return to the present and find an alternate timeline as we see twice in the game would be someone to steal the delorean in the future.

    moreover, they dared to set the plot line majorly in 1931 where there were almost nobody we knew from the movies

    We know Emmett and William McFly does show up. Not a lot but in 1885 in part III we didnt get a single character from the films. I thought 1931 was an excellent spot, we had basically 2 missing generations in each of the tannen and mcfly's bloodlines, we got to see 1 of the tannens we never met and completed the mcfly bloodline of 6 generations (from Seamus to Marty Jr/Marlene) .


    And let me clarify I'm not saying the future shouldn't be done. That segment from part II was one of my favourite in the trilogy. Depending on how crafty the writing is, they could do 1, 2, maybe even 3 episodes in the future but you really do lose that sense of urgency since you can't do as much in the future with a back to the future concept which centres around the timeline. Presumably if they do have a second season at least one episode will involve being stranded in the future (likely the last one).

    The only other way i could see it work is to have 2 central points in the future with the results of one affecting the other and doc and marty going back and forth to try and fix something.

  • @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Look at it this way; the vast majority of the plot in part I couldn't have happened if marty went to say 2015 instead of 1955;

    -impossible to erase his own existance
    -you're basically removing any and all scenarios of knowing what will happen (lightning bolt at the clock tower, dance)
    -doc WOULD be dead for sure (he was shot by lybians)
    -you couldn't have the scenario marty had of meeting his parents as teenagers. Nor could you have his kids there if he's seemingly stranded in the future

    Or try and apply the games concept to 2031 instead of 1931
    -well the whole edna/newspaper puzzle would be pointless. Marty would have no way to find doc without the last time displayed working
    -Even if marty is able to read the last time departed, he'd have no clue where to find doc in the future.
    -you lose the entire plotline of marty having to meet another version of emmett
    -as mentioned the fading plotline would be impossible
    -The only possible way to return to the present and find an alternate timeline as we see twice in the game would be someone to steal the delorean in the future.



    You hit the nail right on the head!


    @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: We know Emmett and William McFly does show up. Not a lot but in 1885 in part III we didnt get a single character from the films. I thought 1931 was an excellent spot, we had basically 2 missing generations in each of the tannen and mcfly's bloodlines, we got to see 1 of the tannens we never met and completed the mcfly bloodline of 6 generations (from Seamus to Marty Jr/Marlene) .


    And let me clarify I'm not saying the future shouldn't be done. That segment from part II was one of my favourite in the trilogy. Depending on how crafty the writing is, they could do 1, 2, maybe even 3 episodes in the future but you really do lose that sense of urgency since you can't do as much in the future with a back to the future concept which centres around the timeline. Presumably if they do have a second season at least one episode will involve being stranded in the future (likely the last one).

    The only other way i could see it work is to have 2 central points in the future with the results of one affecting the other and doc and marty going back and forth to try and fix something.

    Agreed. I wouldn't mind an episode or 2 in the future...maybe we could see the possible future of the Tannen and McFly lines...but you really can't have any high stakes in the plot for Marty and Doc. Unless...well the whole 'stranded in the future' thing would be interesting, since it may answer the whole question of whether or not the future selves/descendants of time travelers will get erased if they fail to return to the present after some time. Then again...the major reasons why they have been stranded in the past before is due to the Delorean either breaking down (in the games) or due to a lack of suitable technology/parts/power sources in the past (plutonium, gas, replacement parts for time circuit control chip et all). If they're in the future, they shouldn't have any problem fixing the Delorean (even upgrading it beyond its current capacities). (Who knows, maybe FIXING the Delorean can be a nice mini-game set in the future?)

    But of course, most of the high stakes plot lines in BTTF revolve around the time travelers endangering their existance, or the timeline being altered in some catastrophic way...and that kind of story simply doesn't work out with the future.

  • One thing (besides the future) the games didnt do was replicate much of part III other than Marty finding out doc was killed in the past.

    Seamus McFly helped Marty but he was more of a tertiary character and not nearly as critical as Arthur, George, and Marty Jr.

    Now I've posted in this thread how there's more to do in the past with BTTF but here is one benefit to the future: Marty and Doc have no clue where anything is or how things work. Yes the technology should be there but that doesn't mean it will be accessible.

    They could do an episode in the future with a similar concept as part III: have a puzzle to actually get back to the present but have Marty and Doc stranded in the future until then with marty's descendant as a helping character (and likely a run in with a Tannen that makes this process critical).

Add Comment