User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 23.4K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Zeek said: No, they do the opposite, actually. The intro goes INTO the screen. There is no pop-out from what I remember. It was really impressive.

Huh. I'll have to look into that at some point. Never really got into the Kung Fu Panda stuff...guess I'll need to check it out now.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@JedExodus said: It has quests, and shooting and John Goodman, i'd lie if I said I wasn't tempted.

It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation. Are the times completely gone when you'd pop a DVD into your drive and the game just friggin runs?!?

• @Vainamoinen said: It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation. Are the times completely gone when you'd pop a DVD into your drive and the game just friggin runs?!?

Yup, and thank god for that. They made it so you don't even need the disk! How incredibly convenient.

• @Vainamoinen said: It has Steam also, and that's it pretty much for my temptation. Are the times completely gone when you'd pop a DVD into your drive and the game just friggin runs?!?

Your aversion to Steam is both strange and slightly concerning in its intensity.

I have no idea what times you are talking about. Those never existed except for consoles. Maybe you are talking about consoles. Are you?
    What is the big difference between Steam and a disc-check? Oh yeah. I don't need the disc to play when I use Steam. Steam wins. Fatality.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: I have no idea what times you are talking about. Those never existed except for consoles. Maybe you are talking about consoles. Are you?

If you don't want to include the process of having to install a game (which I would in this case), there's still my C128 and my Amiga 600, both of which weren't consoles and worked exactly that way. So these times DID exist - that's the kind of emotional baggage you get when you start gaming long before a Monkey Island is even on the market.

Maybe I'm just not comfortable with having this kind of freedom stolen out of my back pocket, or maybe I am just too damn old to accept all that newfangled crap! :D

@der_ketzer said: Your aversion to Steam is both strange and slightly concerning in its intensity.

Whatever the reason, nothing to worry about. The aversion to Steam is a simple principle that is not necessarily very intense. If too many games a year get stricken off my list because their use of Steam is announced, I get... shall we say... annoyed.

• Well I have about 50 games installed right now and can play them any time without searching for a disc and without using a cracked .exe. (a lot of them don't even have a disc-version though).

I have a backup plan anyways. Keep the files on my HDD and download cracks, easy peasey if worst comes to worst.

Also, today I bought a motherboard, a Hard Drive some RAM and a few tins of Root Beer. Then I got roped into lugging a big ol' washing machine about.

• I got a copy of Invaders Must Die. It's ironic that my band covered it and I still haven't heard the original. Here's the cover in case any of you care, BTW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_yIe2ED98g&feature=related

• Little Big Planet 2 & Lego Harry Potter years 1-4

Add Comment