User Avatar Image

Reason why they likely won't focus much on the future as a setting...

posted by sn939 on - last edited - Viewed by 515 users

A lot of fans were disappointed that the game did not offer us the glimpse of Hill Valley's future which we thought we'd been promised with OUTATIME. Well, we did have the nice little coda in the end with the three alternate future Marty's...but frankly, I really don't think Telltale is ever really going to explore the future for any significant length of time in future installments, if any.

The reason is quiet simple...the series' philosophy, as revealed at the end of BTTF3, has been, by and large, that the 'future is not written'. This is reinforced at the end of the game, when Marty asks Doc which of the three Marty's is him and Doc says "Isn't it obvious", implying that he's the only REAL Marty, because the future is not written and the other Marty's are thus only projections of possible futures.

Now...if the future is not written, and nothing that we see of Marty, or any other character's destiny, is set in stone (because they can all be changed with the minimum of effort once Marty and Doc are back in the 1980's and live out their lives into a new future), then there really is no point in our investing much time in a plot line which we know doesn't really make a difference to the characters because its only a 'possible future'.

I mean, if you consider BTTF2...well the sole reason for showing us the future was to show us what kind of sci-fi wonderland Hill Valley's become. True, we also learn about Marty's messed up future, and his messed up kids...but ultimately, at the end of BTTF3, we learn that whatever Marty and Doc did to help Marty Jr was meaningless ultimately because the future wasn't written anyway, from their POV. In fact, I've always believed Doc's real motive in bringing Marty to help his son is so that Marty himself matures over the course of his experiances and gets over his 'chicken problem'.

Ultimately, if you look at it, the only real lasting significance the 2015 segment has to the overall plot is Old Biff stealing the Delorean and Almanac and altering the past...so once again, it is the PAST which is the focus of the series, and NOT the future.

So even if we do catch a glimpse of the future...expect it to be nothing more than a sneak peek which, at most, sets up the main plotline which is concerned with the past. After all, its only if Marty and Doc are in the past, that they can truly get "Back...to the Future"!

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: One thing (besides the future) the games didnt do was replicate much of part III other than Marty finding out doc was killed in the past.

Seamus McFly helped Marty but he was more of a tertiary character and not nearly as critical as Arthur, George, and Marty Jr.

Now I've posted in this thread how there's more to do in the past with BTTF but here is one benefit to the future: Marty and Doc have no clue where anything is or how things work. Yes the technology should be there but that doesn't mean it will be accessible.

They could do an episode in the future with a similar concept as part III: have a puzzle to actually get back to the present but have Marty and Doc stranded in the future until then with marty's descendant as a helping character (and likely a run in with a Tannen that makes this process critical).

Hey...that's a pretty cool idea. And that would add to the sense of urgency a bit, with Marty's descendant having to ensure Marty gets back to the present fast (or he/she will be erased from existence).

That said, with regards to BTTF3...Doc getting killed in the past and Marty going back to save him WAS the major plot point. The whole getting back to the future thing was more a reflection of the first movie, than anything else.

To my mind, the game successfully captured each of the major plot points of all three films-Marty endangering his own existence (BTTF1; Episode 2), a dystopic alternate timeline being created and Marty having to fix thing (BTTF2; Episodes 3-5), and Marty discovering that Doc died in the past and going back to save him (BTTF3; Episode 1).

• @sn939 said: Hey...that's a pretty cool idea. And that would add to the sense of urgency a bit, with Marty's descendant having to ensure Marty gets back to the present fast (or he/she will be erased from existence).

That said, with regards to BTTF3...Doc getting killed in the past and Marty going back to save him WAS the major plot point. The whole getting back to the future thing was more a reflection of the first movie, than anything else.

To my mind, the game successfully captured each of the major plot points of all three films-Marty endangering his own existence (BTTF1; Episode 2), a dystopic alternate timeline being created and Marty having to fix thing (BTTF2; Episodes 3-5), and Marty discovering that Doc died in the past and going back to save him (BTTF3; Episode 1).

I was thinking they could use elements of the abandoned 'numebr two' script (which was written by Bob Gale and not Zemeckis); actually they already did. In that script Marty looks out the window as they are leaving 2015 and sees Doc's house disappear (due to the timeline changing) similar to what we see in the game. They could use the grand canyon sequence (time circuits were damaged so they had to fly the delorean into an electrical field to get back to 1985. That script was not as good as the film we got but the time travel sequences were executed; as they were leaving 1985A, they were being chased and shot at by police the flying circuits got damaged in mid air and they struggled to reach 88 MPH. You could do this by having one of the future Marty's be a criminal of sorts and our Marty identified as the culprit. Use an escape sequence such that they get away to another time (maybe a different point in the future) and need to get back.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: I was thinking they could use elements of the abandoned 'numebr two' script (which was written by Bob Gale and not Zemeckis); actually they already did. In that script Marty looks out the window as they are leaving 2015 and sees Doc's house disappear (due to the timeline changing) similar to what we see in the game. They could use the grand canyon sequence (time circuits were damaged so they had to fly the delorean into an electrical field to get back to 1985. That script was not as good as the film we got but the time travel sequences were executed; as they were leaving 1985A, they were being chased and shot at by police the flying circuits got damaged in mid air and they struggled to reach 88 MPH. You could do this by having one of the future Marty's be a criminal of sorts and our Marty identified as the culprit. Use an escape sequence such that they get away to another time (maybe a different point in the future) and need to get back.

Yeah, I've read the 'Number Two' script and there are a lot of good ideas there (didn't much fancy the whole 'pain transference between doppelganger's though). I would love to see the 60's used as a setting in one of the future games (though of course, that's the past, and we're talking about the future here).

• @sn939 said: Yeah, I've read the 'Number Two' script and there are a lot of good ideas there (didn't much fancy the whole 'pain transference between doppelganger's though). I would love to see the 60's used as a setting in one of the future games (though of course, that's the past, and we're talking about the future here).

I haven't read its entirety but I've skimmed through it (it's on the official BTTF site). I do happen to know Gale wrote it singlehandedly as Zemeckis was working on Roger Rabbit.

Some good sequences which could be used;
    -a more elaborate hoverboard sequence with marty getting lifted to a high altitude and getting saved by Doc
    -I guess somewhat similar to 1985 Jennifer getting mistaken for her future self, Marty uses his thumb to identify himself in the future when his DOB pops up (which could be even funnier in the distant future having a 50 year old 'look' 18)
    -the 'escape from biffhoric times' sequence
    -Marty was supposed to stop his own conception (he was born in 1968). Although since it happened again in the game I'm not sure how often they can keep doing this.
    -doc constantly trying to avoid his younger self.
    -the version of doc from this era was hilarious. Supposedly in the 60's doc was a prof and addicted to LSD (although I'm not sure if they want drugs to be a plot point).
    -there was a lot more of dave and linda, they were present in 2015 and as young children in 1967 (not sure if they were written out of the future due to Wendy Jo's pregnancy).
    -1967 Doc again helps marty get back to the future but is unaware his future self is present. His calculations for the grand canyon sequence were based on one person and the script is pretty funny with them throwing stuff out of the delorean to make it
    -old man peabody was part of the script as well apparently being in a mental institution for the past 12 years for spouting about the 'space ship' he saw. Upon his release he sees the flying delorean and starts going crazy again. The last thing marty throws out of the delorean is a backpack with the almanac. Peabody burns the almanac but keeps the backpack figuring it will be worth money some day.

Now given the fact that this script was written as a stand alone sequel (it does not end on a cliffhanger setting up a third film as this was unconfirmed), things would need to be tweaked. Not sure if marty going back and visiting doc at a different era in the past AGAIN is a great idea although unlike the first film the plot for number TWO did not seem to involve marty changing Doc's future.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: I haven't read its entirety but I've skimmed through it (it's on the official BTTF site). I do happen to know Gale wrote it singlehandedly as Zemeckis was working on Roger Rabbit.

Some good sequences which could be used;
    -a more elaborate hoverboard sequence with marty getting lifted to a high altitude and getting saved by Doc
    -I guess somewhat similar to 1985 Jennifer getting mistaken for her future self, Marty uses his thumb to identify himself in the future when his DOB pops up (which could be even funnier in the distant future having a 50 year old 'look' 18)
    -the 'escape from biffhoric times' sequence
    -Marty was supposed to stop his own conception (he was born in 1968). Although since it happened again in the game I'm not sure how often they can keep doing this.
    -doc constantly trying to avoid his younger self.
    -the version of doc from this era was hilarious. Supposedly in the 60's doc was a prof and addicted to LSD (although I'm not sure if they want drugs to be a plot point).
    -there was a lot more of dave and linda, they were present in 2015 and as young children in 1967 (not sure if they were written out of the future due to Wendy Jo's pregnancy).
    -1967 Doc again helps marty get back to the future but is unaware his future self is present. His calculations for the grand canyon sequence were based on one person and the script is pretty funny with them throwing stuff out of the delorean to make it
    -old man peabody was part of the script as well apparently being in a mental institution for the past 12 years for spouting about the 'space ship' he saw. Upon his release he sees the flying delorean and starts going crazy again. The last thing marty throws out of the delorean is a backpack with the almanac. Peabody burns the almanac but keeps the backpack figuring it will be worth money some day.

Now given the fact that this script was written as a stand alone sequel (it does not end on a cliffhanger setting up a third film as this was unconfirmed), things would need to be tweaked. Not sure if marty going back and visiting doc at a different era in the past AGAIN is a great idea although unlike the first film the plot for number TWO did not seem to involve marty changing Doc's future.

I certainly thing another hoverboard sequence would be a great idea, this time in a future setting. Ditto for the whole scene of Marty trying to buy things in the future using his thumb print ID and having to explain why he looks so 'young'.

More Dave and Linda (at different ages) would be cool as well. Marty interacting with younger versions of his older siblings has a nice touch of irony to it. And I wouldn't mind seeing Old Man Peabody again...it would be a nice tie in to BTTF1. (In fact, wouldn't it be cool if Old Man Peabody's young, who was a small kid in 1955, shows up in the future as an old man and sees the Delorean..."THAT ain't no AIRPLANE" indeed!)

I'm not sure about YET another version of Doc...I think the first game has had enough of them already...although we MIGHT get to see how the changes in 1931 affected Doc's pre-1985 past (for instance, maybe we see how he sets up the Foundation in his father's name).

• @sn939 said: I certainly thing another hoverboard sequence would be a great idea, this time in a future setting. Ditto for the whole scene of Marty trying to buy things in the future using his thumb print ID and having to explain why he looks so 'young'.

More Dave and Linda (at different ages) would be cool as well. Marty interacting with younger versions of his older siblings has a nice touch of irony to it. And I wouldn't mind seeing Old Man Peabody again...it would be a nice tie in to BTTF1. (In fact, wouldn't it be cool if Old Man Peabody's young, who was a small kid in 1955, shows up in the future as an old man and sees the Delorean..."THAT ain't no AIRPLANE" indeed!)

I'm not sure about YET another version of Doc...I think the first game has had enough of them already...although we MIGHT get to see how the changes in 1931 affected Doc's pre-1985 past (for instance, maybe we see how he sets up the Foundation in his father's name).

If they do travel to another period Doc is alive I'd prefer they keep the 'other' docs involvement to a minimum. It's okay to interact with him a little but preferably not in a manner which will change his timeline AGAIN. And in the number TWO script he does help Marty but it doesn't seem to change his timeline. If it's between 1931-1955 (and hopefully not, there isn't much there that's left to see) Marty would have to identify himself as Harry Calahan to him and can't tell him about time travel. If it's between 1955-1985, Doc obviously knows Marty is a time traveler. I wouldn't mind the 60s for a short bit but if/when they go back into the past I'd prefer circa 1900-1910 (meet Kids father/Bufords son). I would say meet Beauregard Tannens Mcfly counterpart but it's likely that the McFlys were nto in america yet.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: If they do travel to another period Doc is alive I'd prefer they keep the 'other' docs involvement to a minimum. It's okay to interact with him a little but preferably not in a manner which will change his timeline AGAIN. And in the number TWO script he does help Marty but it doesn't seem to change his timeline. If it's between 1931-1955 (and hopefully not, there isn't much there that's left to see) Marty would have to identify himself as Harry Calahan to him and can't tell him about time travel. If it's between 1955-1985, Doc obviously knows Marty is a time traveler. I wouldn't mind the 60s for a short bit but if/when they go back into the past I'd prefer circa 1900-1910 (meet Kids father/Bufords son). I would say meet Beauregard Tannens Mcfly counterpart but it's likely that the McFlys were nto in america yet.

Yeah...that would fill in the last gap in the Tannen family...by introducing us to William McFly's 'adversary'. And I suppose Biff's grandmother (whom we hear in BTTF2) will be this Tannen's wife.

Yeah, I don't want Marty to visit any era between 1931 and 1955. Honestly, I think ANY time travel before 1955 is just likely to screw up events in 1955 even more (and the events of 1955 are very crucial to sustaining Marty's current timeline, as he knows it).

About the future time period though...I wouldn't mind sometime in the 2020's...maybe we'll see a 20-something Marty Jr. and an EVEN older Marty. Or perhaps the FAR future...like the 2050's (wouldn't it be great if they visited November 12th 2055!!! and witnessed the centennial celebrations of lightning striking the Clock Tower!).

• @sn939 said: Yeah...that would fill in the last gap in the Tannen family...by introducing us to William McFly's 'adversary'. And I suppose Biff's grandmother (whom we hear in BTTF2) will be this Tannen's wife.

Yeah, I don't want Marty to visit any era between 1931 and 1955. Honestly, I think ANY time travel before 1955 is just likely to screw up events in 1955 even more (and the events of 1955 are very crucial to sustaining Marty's current timeline, as he knows it).

About the future time period though...I wouldn't mind sometime in the 2020's...maybe we'll see a 20-something Marty Jr. and an EVEN older Marty. Or perhaps the FAR future...like the 2050's (wouldn't it be great if they visited November 12th 2055!!! and witnessed the centennial celebrations of lightning striking the Clock Tower!).

When it was assumed that episode 5 would feature the future a lot of people thought 2025/2026 would be featured showing the duplicate delorean show up and Doc steal it from griff. One possible plot point is something they do in the future prevents Doc from stopping Griff.

Something to keep in mind here; even though Gale and telltale said that they only considered the films to be canon, the game is faithful to the tv show; Arthur being Georges dad, Beauregard being Bufords father, Tiff Tannen being Biffs daughter, Martys middle name being seamus, Verne being a video gamer were all brought up in the show. Well the TV show only featured one episode in the future; traveling to the year 2091 where Marla McFly was an astronaut and Ziff Tannen (Griffs grandson) was the tannen of that era. Just something to watch for.
    I'm kind of thinking it would be the mid to late 21st century featured; they probably wont do 2015 for the simple reason that it's not turning out the way the film showed and they'd rather not deal with that plot point.

• Tiff Tannen was never mentioned in the show, and Beauregard Tannen in the show was in the Civil War, so it's uncertain as to whether or not it's the same Beauregard or if it's just a wink-wink to the cartoon, and it's not mentioned ever that he's Buford's father.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Tiff Tannen was never mentioned in the show, and Beauregard Tannen in the show was in the Civil War, so it's uncertain as to whether or not it's the same Beauregard or if it's just a wink-wink to the cartoon, and it's not mentioned ever that he's Buford's father.

Well it's actually not mentioned in the game either (he does look like the tannen shown in episode 4). The civil war ended 1865 so it should be the same one.

Add Comment