User Avatar Image

Kingdom Hearts

posted by ryannumber1gamer on - last edited - Viewed by 11.4K users

Title really says it all

I'm gonna start with i find really sad that Roxas spent the whole summer in a machine and has friends but they don't even know him and they don't try to become friends :(

421 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I liked Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2. Never could really get into Chain of Memories that much, relied on the manga to fill in the holes there. Now it's just getting ridiculous with side stories. 358/2 Days, Re: Coded, Birth by Sleep, and soon Dream Drop Distance...Where's Kingdom Hearts 3? Now, I don't have anything against the side stories...in moderation. If they only did Birth by Sleep between 2 & 3, it would've been fine. I can't say too much on 358/2 Days or whatever, but I haven't heard too many good things. Birth by Sleep, I've played and it's good, but still. I want Kingdom Hearts 3. It's one of those things that I am shocked that the biggest guys at Square aren't saying, "Okay, put down Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Type 0 and XIII-2 and put this game out."

In spite of what someone said earlier about it being a Square cash cow, it isn't. Or else we'd have 3 by now. Square has forgotten what the fans want. And they're suffering for it. Don't get me wrong, I want Final Fantasy XIII-2. But developing a sequel to a game that split the fandom and essentially tanked is far too risky for Square's financial situation. Not to mention that despite the fact that fans want it, we won't be seeing Versus XIII until probably late next year. It seems to me that the logical thing would have been to put off XIII-2 until the game that people WANT is out. More examples of this bad strategy is Kingdom Hearts 3 and a certain Final Fantasy remake. Instead of Kingdom Hearts 3, we're getting YET ANOTHER SIDE STORY! And instead of them remaking Final Fantasy VII, which fans have been clamoring for since the PS3 tech demo and would probably go a long way toward easing Square's financial troubles, we're getting a remake of Final Fantasy X, which has aged surprisingly well!

So, I'm starting to see the writing on the wall for Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Square-Enix in general. I wouldn't be surprised if they're bankrupt this time next year.

• Square is diluting its brand name. This is what happened under Eisner at Disney when they started pumping out too many straight to video sequels. Fortunately that onslaught has ebbed since his departure.

• I think the problem here is the automatic assumption that if a game doesn't have a number in the title, it's a side story. Ever hear of Resident Evil Code: Veronica? Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations? These are games without numbers in the title that are part of their core series. Birth by Sleep is not a side story, it's a prequel that sets the stage for the entire series. And Kingdom Hearts II makes absolutely zero sense without Chain of Memories in the middle, and 358/2 Days contributes to that. I admit, Coded served almost entirely as a plot device to catch the characters up with what we already knew. But Dream Drop Distance has been said to have a story "on par with a numbered title", and it's also supposed to set the stage for Kingdom Hearts III.

What I'm saying is don't write these games off because they don't have numbers in the title. They're all important parts of a complex narrative.

KHTimeline2.png

And there isn't a single game in the series that I didn't thoroughly enjoy on some level. If you're having trouble with Chain of Memories, I can relate, and I advise you to look into Re:Chain of Memories.

Also, there's a couple plot gaps you may not have considered that may be made into games at some point.

[quote=Tetsuya Nomura, Director's Secret Report XIII]Presently there are 4 main untold stories to consider: "the period of the King's absence", "the period of Riku's absence", "Roxas's time in Organization XIII" and "Xehanort's past". In this case, the story of "the period of the King's absence" is set in the realm of darkness. I am examining a way to tell these 4 stories so I might be able to find a way to tell them soon.[/quote]

Roxas's time in the Organization was made into 358/2 Days and Xehanort's past became Birth by Sleep, but we still don't know anything about the absences of Riku and Mickey. Which are admittedly easier to write off than Roxas and Xehanort, which is likely why the series moved on its way toward Kingdom Hearts III via Coded and Dream Drop Distance, but there's still content there.

Edit: I just watched the TGS trailer for Dream Drop Distance. It looks like we're going to get to see a bit of that missing chunk between Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts, when the apprentices became Nobodies, and I have a feeling that this "Keyhole of Sleep" thing may end up leading to the characters finding Ventus's heart inside of Sora.

• @DAISHI said: Square is diluting its brand name. This is what happened under Eisner at Disney when they started pumping out too many straight to video sequels. Fortunately that onslaught has ebbed since his departure.

I respect what you're saying. It's as bad as all the FF spin offs. I never even played FF X-2...

• OK new topic what are your hardest Kingdom Hearts bosses?

Mine as far as i played (i didn't finish any kingdom hearts games but i'm about to fight Luxord in KH 2)

Terra-Xehanort from Birth by Sleep
    Xaldin from KH 2
    The second Demyx fight

• @ryannumber1gamer said: Mine as far as I played (I didn't finish any Kingdom Hearts games but I'm in the World That Never Was about to fight Luxord)

Terra-Xehanort from Birth by Sleep
    Xaldin from Kingdom Hearts 2
    the second fight with Demyx in Hollow Bastion from Kingdom Hearts 2

fix'd

Mine would be, without question, the Vanitas Remnant and the Unknown from Birth by Sleep. I'm not sure which was worse. And coming in third and fourth are Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts II and Xaldin, though they've both gotten much easier now that I've learned some new strategy on them.

My strategy on Xaldin goes all the way back to the point that Mickey gives you Master Form. From that point forward, I don't use drives at all so I don't have any chance of getting Anti-form if I try to drive against Xaldin, since that was the main cause of me dying the first time I played.

As for Sephiroth: Trinity Limit and Berserk Charge.

• Here's what happened to me i got past Luxord and forgot to save before the next fight and i think i got the next boss down to 1 bar and a half and then when i was getting my magic back up he got a few lucky hits at me and i lost and had to fight Luxord again =(

• Yeah, Saïx can be a bit of a pain.

• Not really. I dont even think Ive died against him.

Add Comment