User Avatar Image

Is Star Wars over rated?

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 801 users

Houdini!

117 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "over rated" is pretty subjective too...I mean, when I hear people at work mentioning why the original trilogy are great movies and bringing up little details, would I consider that over rated? No, I enjoyed them immensely as a child and still do. When I look at the guy writing his 76th Star Wars fanfic, arguing on a forum about what a certain character theoretically would or would not do, while wearing Yoda ears? Then, oh yeah..... I think it has gone wayyy too far.

• Star wars has become really stupid now, they make lego sets which are not based on anything also george lucas keeps milking the star wars franchise and like someone said before every tv program has to have some sort of refrence to star wars or they die if you want a example watch the big bang theory... the whole tv program is built up of refrences.

Also the clone wars animated tv program... really? I mean really?

Star wars is no longer great like it was when it first came out it's now just a pile of mixed ideas all mashed up together.

• @yoman45135 said: Star wars is no longer great like it was when it first came out it's now just a pile of mixed ideas all mashed up together.

...since when WASN'T Star Wars a pile of mixed ideas all smashed up together? The whole core of the franchise requires taking at least two entirely different types of film and tossing them into a blender! We have a mix of Kurosawa samurai films, 1950s sci-fi serials like Flash Gordon, spaghetti westerns, arthurian high fantasy, World War II fighter pilot films like The Dam Busters, and countless other minor cinematic influences that give Star Wars its extremely unique aesthetic.

• They're all good movies. Some are just better than others.

• @Rather Dashing said: ...since when WASN'T Star Wars a pile of mixed ideas all smashed up together? The whole core of the franchise requires taking at least two entirely different types of film and tossing them into a blender! We have a mix of Kurosawa samurai films, 1950s sci-fi serials like Flash Gordon, spaghetti westerns, arthurian high fantasy, World War II fighter pilot films like The Dam Busters, and countless other minor cinematic influences that give Star Wars its extremely unique aesthetic.

You could only be right as Star Wars came after all these things it had to of been inspired by these things, Lucas is a film student, if you would, he likes to do that sort of thing. So I'd imagine you're dead on.

• @doodo! said: You could only be right as Star Wars came after all these things it had to of been inspired by these things, Lucas is a film student, if you would, he likes to do that sort of thing. So I'd imagine you're dead on.

I'm confused by your reply. The influences behind Star Wars are well documented. In books as well as on video.

Examples: 1, 2, 3

• @tobar said: I'm confused by your reply. The influences behind Star Wars are well documented. In books as well as on video.

Examples: 1, 2, 3

I was agreeing with Dashing, are you not? Doesn't matter, most people never know what I'm saying.

• As films, I think they're definately overrated, especially when compared with what's available today. However, their cultural significance is not to be scoffed at. Plus pretending that stilts are lightsabres during lunch breaks at primary school was crazy fun. Until they were confiscated ¬_¬

And then we imitated majora's mask for a few weeks, and all was well.

• @doodo! said: I was agreeing with Dashing, are you not? Doesn't matter, most people never know what I'm saying.

You should perhaps be more succint in an effort to stem the confusion.

• @Chyron8472 said: You should perhaps be more succint in an effort to stem the confusion.

I guess I'm out of luck.

Add Comment