User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

posted by Important-Looking Pirate on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 16.5K users

When's that scheduled for then? :D

564 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Mermaid said: I don't think we need Guybrush as a father. You can see a lot of character development if you compare the SOMI - Guybrush to the TOMI - Guybrush.

Well, he's a little more piratey. ;)

Seriously though, the "Tales" have successfully managed to avoid character development on Guybrush's side. We've never seen those contracts of course, but I could imagine that this was one of the conditions from LucasArts' side (i.e. "We want our character back afterwards unchanged"). The development was more around Guybrush, and with Morgan, some bold character steps for a humorus adventure game were even attempted. Instead, Telltale played largely on Guybrush's already existing character traits, and that had its great moments too. That Guybrush didn't for a second consider Morgan as an affair was just great. There are so many movies which should have a slice of that almost anti-stereotypical portrayal of men. :D

Speaking of stereotypical, the advent of a child is about the least innovative thing that could happen to the Guybrush-Elaine relationship. Not even if it's a ghost zombie demon pirate baby. Boooorinnnngggg, seeenit! Besides, "Sam & Max Season 4" will take care of that as we will have to see what Sybil has brought to life.

• Guybrush developed enough to make friends who he isnt just using to do a puzzle or get an item off.

• I admit that I kind of got discouraged by the lack of Monkey News.
    I still have the letter ready to go. I just wonder if by sending it we'll do more harm than good. We don't want to annoy anyone but we DO want a new Season.

• @Silverwolfpet said: I admit that I kind of got discouraged by the lack of Monkey News.
    I still have the letter ready to go. I just wonder if by sending it we'll do more harm than good. We don't want to annoy anyone but we DO want a new Season.

I doubt anyone in Lucas would stop a game because of fan mail.

• @coolsome said: I doubt anyone in Lucas would stop a game because of fan mail.

Tell that to Battlefront 3...

• @Trenchfoot said: Tell that to Battlefront 3...

Huh? What happened to that?

• what do u think out of the three will happen

Sam & Max freelance police (it should happen =D)

monkey island 6 aka tales of monkey island 2 aka return to monkey island aka something monkey island (again it should happen)

star wars battlefront 3/another sequel to knights of the old republic/just some more star wars games (most likely to happen)

now as a bonus heres some names if some other game publisher got to make games (and im gonna use some games for examples)

EA. (using harry potter deathy hollows games as examples) monkey island - call of monkey island: mordern voodoo 2 (first person shooter)

sam and max - call of duty: freelance police (again first person shooter) and what does this got to do with monkey island season 2 well A. i have no idea but B. if there is a season 2 i would like to see a episode where lechuck and guybrush switch bodys but no one but lechuck and guybrush know and lechuck uses a voodoo spell to make guybrush unable to tell anyone its guybrush in lechucks body and then Lechuck in guybrush's body and elaine goes on a rampage through the carriban (which again lechuck has put a spell on elaine)

• Why don´t we use a petition? I´ve already seen that by Majorask Mask for the 3DS and I thought it would be cool to make that for ToMI2, too. I was a little surprised, when I saw that there already exists one (although there are only five signing till now), so we can simply use that (and try to proliferate them):
    http://www.petitiononline.com/monkey6/petition.html

• @Vainamoinen said: Well, he's a little more piratey. ;)

Seriously though, the "Tales" have successfully managed to avoid character development on Guybrush's side. We've never seen those contracts of course, but I could imagine that this was one of the conditions from LucasArts' side (i.e. "We want our character back afterwards unchanged"). The development was more around Guybrush, and with Morgan, some bold character steps for a humorus adventure game were even attempted. Instead, Telltale played largely on Guybrush's already existing character traits, and that had its great moments too. That Guybrush didn't for a second consider Morgan as an affair was just great. There are so many movies which should have a slice of that almost anti-stereotypical portrayal of men. :D

Speaking of stereotypical, the advent of a child is about the least innovative thing that could happen to the Guybrush-Elaine relationship. Not even if it's a ghost zombie demon pirate baby. Boooorinnnngggg, seeenit! Besides, "Sam & Max Season 4" will take care of that as we will have to see what Sybil has brought to life.

So your saying Guybrush now being loyal to his crew (Winslow) when he would just stab them in the back before, him caring about his friends (Morgan, and for a time LeChuck) when before he used friends as tools and him actually being able to properly stand up to Elaine aren't character development?

Seriously dude, every MI game has developed Guybrush's character in one way or another (even Escape to a much lesser extent), but I agree that Tales was on the light side, but then again, Guybrush's character was already well developed going in.

But anyway, I personally could see kids being interesting, provided it's done right. Like if the children where about 6/7ish and could help solve puzzles and not just be useless and get snatched it would be brilliant! (In essence, if Guybrush's son/daughter was like Max).

Why have lot's of people said about Sam and Max season 4 now? Has it been confirmed to be coming soon? Cos that would kick-ass!!!

• I'm definitely looking forward to the next adventure. The ending here left a lot of questions. I think that the next one will be even more dramatic. As for kids being involved, I'm not sure I like that idea. Guybrush usually faces his challenges head on without really thinking of what he's doing and bringing kids into it can be, I would think, relayed as abuse even if the children were capable of surviving all of the dangers Guybrush gets himself into.

Then there is the parent issue. The MI series, no offense, does have a lot of alcohol references and innuendos. Putting kids into that mix might be considered distasteful and might get parents hackles up.

Add Comment