User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.0K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • All right, if you exclude KQ7 (which isn't a very good game) then every puzzle has a logical solution. I always had problems with the salt and the faux shop anyway.

• @caeska said: I always had problems with the salt and the faux shop anyway.

You're right--KQ7 is a terrible game. I always thought the "take the faux shop with a grain of salt" puzzle was actually one of the more clever ones that the game had to offer though. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• @caeska said: All right, if you exclude KQ7 (which isn't a very good game) then every puzzle has a logical solution. I always had problems with the salt and the faux shop anyway.

What puzzles in KQ7 don't have logical solutions?

And why would you have problems with "take the faux shop with a grain of salt"? Falderal is a place in which sillyness or various idioms/similes are taken literally. Such as a "mockingbird," a "bull in a china shop," and "take [it] with a grain of salt." Besides the nature of the town of Falderal itself, to "take [something] with a grain of salt" means to view something with skepticism while the word faux actually means false.

That seems perfectly straightforward to me.

I'm just not sure what puzzles in KQ7 are so hard to figure out, especially when compared to KQ5.

I really do think that you guys pick on KQ7 primarily because it seems the popular thing to do. In my opinion, it has a lot more going for it in terms of puzzles and story than KQ5 does. Certainly the animation isn't the smoothest, there are instant retries upon death, a one click cursor interface, and no adjustment for walking speed... but the voice acting is better than KQ5, the story is more interesting, there are no dead-ends, and no fricken moon-logic puzzles like cheese-powered wand machines.

• Don't forget...no narrator in KQ7.

• @Lambonius said: Yeah, I'm sorry, but the honey/emerald/elf thing works in the context of the game world and in the context of King's Quest. It makes sense and has logic. Yes, it's a little odd, but it makes sense once you realize what you need to do. It's been my experience that people who harp on and on about that puzzle are not the people who grew up playing King's Quest games as they were released.

I'll grant you the cheese one though. That one is totally a boner of a solution.

A modern game can't only appeal to fans of the series though. If it only works in the context of people who have previously played, you'll have problems with wider appeal.

• You say "wider appeal" and I hear "gameplay like in BTTF."

That totally scares me. I don't want a King's Quest for the casual gamer.

• @Chyron8472 said: You say "wider appeal" and I hear "gameplay like in BTTF."

That totally scares me. I don't want a King's Quest for the casual gamer.

There's a difference between the "casual gamer" and the "modern gamer." We can't stay in 1990 if we want the series to survive. A commercial game can't just be made for a small tiny niche of hardcore fans. King's Quest in it's time was accessible to the computer game players of it's era--It wasn't just reserved for a tiny group of people.

Hell, they got rid of the parser to make KQ more accessible to the then growing PC game market, to the "casual gamer" who didn't want to type and think as much--and KQ5 and KQ6 are among the fans' favorite games in the series. The idea that King's Quest wasn't modern or accessible or aimed at having "wider appeal" in it's time is just rewriting history.

• I think what Chyron means is that we don't want an overly-simplified game like BTTF was. If we get a single-click interface in a game that's 95% cutscenes and 5% clicking then blood will be spilled, of that I can assure you.

• @caeska said: I think what Chyron means is that we don't want an overly-simplified game like BTTF was. If we get a single-click interface in a game that's 95% cutscenes and 5% clicking then blood will be spilled, of that I can assure you.

I don't think we'll be getting that, but I also don't think we'll be getting KQ5 or KQ6 in terms of gameplay either.

• Telltale is going to MASSACRE this series. hahaha....mark my words.

Add Comment