User Avatar Image

I have an important question!

posted by thatdude98 on - last edited - Viewed by 234 users

Where are all the GOOD games?

Honestly, this is the first time I've been on Telltale in months. After Sam and Max: Season 3 was over, I just didn't see the point.

And now I know I made the right decision. I mean, Hector? Puzzle Agent? Jurassic Park?

Why should I shell out money for these? They all seem... well... idiotic.

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    @Chyron8472 said: wait, WHAT? You're telling me... that you're a mod for the forums of the preeminent adventure game developer of the last decade... and you've never once played a game from the franchise that is almost wholly responsible for defining the graphical adventure game genre as we know it?

    I haven't played them either. Does that exclude me from your little retro club?

    Not everyone grew up with the same games, Chyron. If he hasn't played them, that doesn't exclude him from having an opinion - in fact, he actually said that he hasn't got one. He's just hoping it's a solid adventure game, and honestly, isn't that what's important here?

    Also, why is it a problem for him to be a moderator if he hasn't played King's Quest? It's a surprise, sure, but pretty much ordering him to rectify his 'mistake' seems a bit harsh. Kinda like my first sentence.

  • @Darth Marsden said: I haven't played them either. Does that exclude me from your little retro club?

    Not everyone grew up with the same games, Chyron. If he hasn't played them, that doesn't exclude him from having an opinion - in fact, he actually said that he hasn't got one. He's just hoping it's a solid adventure game, and honestly, isn't that what's important here?

    Also, why is it a problem for him to be a moderator if he hasn't played King's Quest? It's a surprise, sure, but pretty much ordering him to rectify his 'mistake' seems a bit harsh. Kinda like my first sentence.



    It's not a problem, per se. It's just... well, this company is the most successful adventure game developer of the present day, Vain is a mod here which means he spends a lot of time among hardcore fans of the genre, and he hasn't played even one game from the franchise that started it all.

    It's not "my little club." He's just missing out, and if I may say so, so are you. King's Quest isn't some piddly little random adventure game series. It's the reason why graphical adventure games are what they have become, excepting for some aspects introduced to the genre by LucasArts.

  • Add me to the list of Telltale forum moderators who not only haven't played King's Quest, but haven't played a non-LucasArts or Telltale adventure game period, except Machinarium. That means no Sierra games whatsoever.

  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    @Chyron8472 said: It's not a problem, per se. It's just... well, this company is the most successful adventure game developer of the present day, Vain is a mod here which means he spends a lot of time among hardcore fans of the genre, and he hasn't played even one game from the franchise that started it all.

    It's not "my little club." He's just missing out, and if I may say so, so are you. King's Quest isn't some piddly little random adventure game series. It's the reason why graphical adventure games are what they have become, excepting for some aspects introduced to the genre by LucasArts.

    I'd rather not fight a battle on someone's behalf without them commenting on it themselves, but I think it's fair to say that games have moved on a long, long way since King's Quest.

    The main reason I myself haven't played them (except the demo of King's Quest 8, which doesn't really count since it looked, felt and played nothing like the other games) is because they're borderline unplayable to modern gamers. Say what you will about the impact they had at the time they came out, but they have not aged well. It's not so surprising that people who weren't around when they first came out haven't played them, or for people to have overlooked them at the time if they weren't into adventures at that point in their lives and then subsequently not bothered playing them once they were.

    The new one may not be aimed at people like me and Vain, but if Telltale do it right it should still be somewhat accessible to people like us. Fingers crossed.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: Add me to the list of Telltale forum moderators who not only haven't played King's Quest, but haven't played a non-LucasArts or Telltale adventure game period, except Machinarium. That means no Sierra games whatsoever.



    Given that there are free fan remakes out there which very closely resemble the feel of the first three games of the series (albeit with graphics, voices and interface on par with the sixth), and that you can buy the next 3 (which include KQ6, my personal favorite) together from GOG for 10 bucks, there's really no excuse for that.

    I'm not belittling or being arguementative, but this is an adventure game developer's forum after all. If one ever claimed to have a serious interest in adventure games, they ought to give those games a look.

  • My first was The Black Cauldron. But we're already familiar with that :P

  • This isn't just nostalgia. King's Quest VI seriously competes for the #1 spot of my favorite graphical adventure game of all time.

  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    You are about to hate me also- chalk up another mod who has not played KQ. Heck, I had never even seen the BttF mOvies until TT said they were making a game based on them! Nor have I seen JP, but I have read the book. I guess I could be excused a little, growing up blind and all.

  • My best excuse is that I didn't have a computer until late 2000, my first adventure game was Curse in 1997, and it remained my only adventure game until 2007-2008, when I played the rest of the Monkey Island series, shortly before Tales brought me to Telltale and into proximity with the adventure game community. I haven't finished the LucasArts back catalog either, though I'm anxious to get on to Indy 3 and continue my streaming project.

    Come to think of it, I haven't finished with Telltale's games either, still needing to play Bone and Wallace & Gromit, and to buy Puzzle Agent 2 and Hector 2 and 3.

  • "Mods who have never played a King's Quest Game" is a group I am now referring to as "Bad People".

    Why do bad people get to run the show around here? Shouldn't another group be put in charge? Specifically, people who aren't bad people?

Add Comment