User Avatar Image

Cooking- Post your recipes and thoughts here!

posted by Giant Tope on - last edited - Viewed by 411 users

Wow you guys, we haven't had a cooking thread yet. (Or if we have, it's died) There has to be people here who either cook or want to cook. So have at it.

Anything related to food can be put here. If anyone wants to ask for cooking advice or questions, they are welcome here too. I could probably answer a good bunch of questions. I'm only here on the weekends though, so keep that in mind.

Basic Knife Cut terms:
Slice- Vertical cuts. Leaves product in long shape. Cuts include julienne, batonette, and paysanne, which is essentially slicing veg without squaring it off. This wastes far less and is usually what you'd typically do when a recipe calls for a slice.
Dice- Squared off from a slice. Little squares. Not rocket science.
Chop- Like a dice except it's irregular and inconsistent. Basically cut down the thing to size.
Mince- Like a smaller chop. Get it as small as possible so it's almost like a paste
Tourne- Cutting the thing like a football. Super fancy, but no one but steakhouses use it anymore because it wastes so much of the product. Don't worry about this one because you need a special knife for it anyways.
Chiffonade- Cutting herbs like a ribbon. Take a bunch of leaves, line them up, roll them up like a cigarrette, then cut them as thin as possible, making pretty ribbon slices. This keeps the herbs from bruising and losing flavor.

There's a certain joy in making your own staple products yourself and can USUALLY save money, so here's some recipes off the top of my head that most people can usually do. I'm too lazy to convert them to metric, so just deal with my American-ness.

Applesauce____

3 pounds of fuji or gala apples, 1-inch dice or so
1/2 cup water, or more if evaporates too fast
1/2 cup sugar, unless you don't want sugar. That's cool too.

Put all the ingredients in a pot. Bring to a simmer on medium heat for, like 2 hours until the apples break apart. Remember to stir because you don't want it to burn and that's just sad. If it starts to, however, add a bit more water. If it's too far gone, DON'T SCRAPE THE BOTTOM. Transfer it to another pot and continue cooking.

This stuff is good with cubed bread sauteed with a bit of butter and sugar. It's the best apple dessert ever. Seriously. Put whipped cream on that and call it good.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

Whipped Cream_____

Heavy Cream, however much you want. Keep in mind it will expand.

Whip it with a mixer on high, or with your hands if you're feeling up for a challenge, until it gets stiff. Done. You can flavor it in many different ways. Add sugar or cocoa powder before you mix, fold preserves or custards in afterwards. Remember not to whip it too hard otherwise you will get...

Butter____

Heavy Cream

Basically keep going. The whipping will eventually separate the whey from the solids. Use a cheese cloth to catch the solids and smoosh it together to make a solid mass. You can add chopped herbs or whatever else you want into the finished thing. Pretty nifty.

Tomato sauce___

1 medium onion, diced preferably sweet if it's in season
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of Red Chili Flakes
2 cans of crushed tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes
Bunch of Basil, chiffonade
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
sugar if necessary

Get a sauce pot and coat the bottom with oil. You can use, like, canola oil with a bit of extra virgin. Too much extra virgin will burn when it gets remotely hot. When you move the pot around and see ripples, add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion gets transparent, then add the oregano and chili. Cook until it gets nice and aromatic. Add the tomatoes here and simmer for about 30-40 minutes until the raw tomato taste comes out. Add the rest along with salt and pepper to taste.

That's all I can really think of right now. If you guys want me to post more, I can. It'd make me feel special.

Oh yeah, and the minimum internal cooking temperature for human is 145 degrees. Don't wanna eat anything under-cooked. Could get sick.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I gotta say, Alton Brown's gyoza kick some serious hindquarters. Check it.

• I'm afraid I can't tell the one recipe that I have under my belt, but I'm going to start following this thread.

• I'm trying to get ready to leave on a week-long hunting trip tomorrow morning, but I'll totally post some of my cheesecake recipes when I have time after I get back.

• I make this figgy pudding a lot around Christmas time or generally late autumn time. It's very delicious and easy to make. (note that the soy milk doesn't have to be organic, or vanilla, or even soy milk, but I prefer it from the original recipe)

• Anyone got a foolproof lemon meringue recipe? Mine always go soggy in the middle

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Giant Tope said:
    Anything related to food can be put here.

I can only add Jewel Staite's food & drink blog here (Jewel's an actress known as "Kaylee" from the short-lived cult series "Firefly"):

http://happyopu.net/

• @GuruGuru214 said: I'm trying to get ready to leave on a week-long hunting trip tomorrow morning, but I'll totally post some of my cheesecake recipes when I have time after I get back.

Oh man please do. I've been wanting to get after your cheesecake recipes for a while now.

@GuruGuru214 said: Anyone got a foolproof lemon meringue recipe? Mine always go soggy in the middle

Well what do you usually do when you make such a pie? I could probably troubleshoot if I get an idea of what you do.

Mac and Cheese___

4 tablespoons of butter
    4 tablespoons of flour
    2 cups of milk
    1/5 cup of heavy cream
    3/4 cup cheddar, grated
    3 cups of macaroni or penne cooked to under al dente (so keep it slightly hard still), drained but not rinsed
    Chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
    Panko crumbs
    Parmesean cheese (optional)
    More Cheddar for topping

If you wanna bake it, turn on the oven to 350 F

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, but do not overheat. Whisk in the flour until mixed. If too soupy, add more flour. If too pastey, add more butter. This is called a roux. Add your milk and cream to this mix until you get a nice and thick sauce. Be sure to not have the temperature too high. This is your basic Bechamel Sauce. It's one of the mother sauces, so remember it. Now add in the cheese gradually. By adding the cheese, the sauce turns into a Bechamel derivative: Mornay. It's basically a cheese sauce.

Mix your pasta into the pot and turn off the heat. Salt and pepper to flavor

If you're baking it, pour it into a casserole pan and cover with the cheeses, the bread crumbs, and the herbs. Cook it until the top browns.

See, if you cook it too soft earlier, the pasta cooks to shit here, so remember not to do that.

• Realization, I have like three things under my belt, two of them desserts. Here's the one thing I feel I can share.

Peanut Butter Cake (Any similarities to a recipe found in a Betty Crocker cook book is purely intentional)
    Grease and flour 2 9" layer pans or 1 13x9 oblong pan.

Sift together 2 1/8 cups sifted flower
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 tsp. Baking Powder
    1 tsp. salt

add 1/3 cup soft shortening
    1/3 cup Peanut Butter (Not Oily)
    1 cup milk

beat for 2 minutes, add one egg, beat for 2 more minutes

Pour into prepares pans. Bake at 350. Layers for 25 to 30 minutes, square or oblong for 35 to 40 minutes.
    Let it cool and the page says to finish it with Peanut Butter Broiled Icing, probably somewhere in the same cookbook, I don't know. I only have this one page because I liked the cake. When I made it I used vanilla icing.

I recommend trying this cold. It is really good cold.

• Something I've mentioned in the past - Take any recipe that uses corn meal, and substitute blue corn meal instead. Blue corn has a stronger flavor than yellow or white, so it really brings out the corniness. If you can't find this in your supermarket, try asking in a health food store, or buy online.

Of course, the end result looks bluer as well. Be prepared for that. :)

Add Comment