User Avatar Image

Risking Alienation

posted by wilco64256 on - last edited - Viewed by 699 users

I keep seeing comments from Telltale about how they use the model they do for games to keep from alienating players, but the more I see that concept the more I wonder about it. It seems that the more effort you put into "not" alienating players, the more players start showing up who start to get bothered by things being simplified. Back to the Future didn't alienate me because it was too difficult, it alienated me because it was far too simple.

I'm of the opinion that the best games knowingly take that risk of alienating people and accept that they're not going to please everyone. Some of the best games I've played in the last year (Demon's Souls, Resonance of Fate, Final Fantasy XIII) turned off a lot of people because of their mechanics, but I absolutely loved them.

I wonder what the balance is between not alienating people and still making a game that people enjoy playing.

58 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Speaking of which

Is that Silver Lining game any good? I've only seen some screenshots, which look pretty much like The Sims 2 to me, but if the story/gameplay is good, I'd probably still want to play it.

• Hahahaha! The Sims. Excellent. The models do kind of look that way hehe. Anyway, it depends on what you're into. The graphics are actually spectacular for a fangame. It's not perfect, but definitely fantastic for a fangame.

Story-wise, eh....it's very VERY dark. Be prepared for that. A lot of retcons, some of them blasphemous to some.

Game-play wise, it's not bad. Better than BTTF, anyway.

• So, Telltale is going to make some new King's Quest, huh?

I just hope they won't be as horrible as the original games.

• @thatdude98 said: So, Telltale is going to make some new King's Quest, huh?

KickInTheNuts.jpg

• @thatdude98 said: So, Telltale is going to make some new King's Quest, huh?

Troll?

• [quote=lambonius;550296]kickinthenuts.jpg[/quote]

lol!

• Troll?

Having a negative opinion of a series doesn't automatically make someone a troll...!

I so remember back in the day, that there were always so many discussions between die-hard Lucasarts fans, and die-hard Sierra fans, over 'who had the better games'.

There were definitely people who liked the products of one company, while disliking the products of the other!

Some of us enjoyed both companies and embranced their differences!

• True, Baggins. But walking in and giving a snarky comment on "how horrible the originals were" with no explanation or backup on his statement is pretty trollish.

Sure, some people didn't like them - most would offer a reason why.

Bt

• @BagginsKQ said: Having a negative opinion of a series doesn't automatically make someone a troll...!

I so remember back in the day, that there were always so many discussions between die-hard Lucasarts fans, and die-hard Sierra fans, over 'who had the better games'.

There were definitely people who liked the products of one company, while disliking the products of the other!

Some of us enjoyed both companies and embranced their differences!

And then there where those who were aware of and played the games of both companies but preferred one company's products without disliking the others.

I loved LucasArts but I never disliked Sierra, I just found their more unforgiving style harder to embrace, especially since I was quite young when the games were in prominence.

Add Comment