User Avatar Image

I hate to be a killjoy, but here's a long joykilling post.

posted by wellgolly on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

It seems like most of the threads in this subforum are either speculation or suggestions about where to take the franchise from here. Just on the front page alone, there's:

[LIST]
[*]A suggestion to buy and finish Freelance Police
[*]Speculation about a new TV season
[*]Someone planning to sell Purcell's concept to Adult Swim for a new series somehow
[*]A season 4 (speculation and) suggestion thread
[*]Anticipation for some kind of release for the 25th anniversary of the franchise
[*]more speculation about a new TV season[/LIST]

Guys, none of this will happen. Ever. The only exception being the possibility of Steve Purcell drawing a little something on his blog, and a Telltale sale.

First off, things don't work this way. The sheer force of willpower alone can't create things. For the sake of an example, let's talk about the new TV series hopes. Pitching a new show would require tons of work, that a man who already has another demanding job simply can't do. It would take a very, very long time to go from concept to the screen, and most series don't get picked up. Hell, most don't even get to be made into a pilot. Just because you'd like to see it doesn't mean all the steps in the process would go smoothly. Not to mention it doesn't mean Purcell would find time, interest, and a satisfying concept for an adaptation.

Anyway, Sam & Max has always just been a very small amount of content for its fanbase's size.. If you've been a fan of the series since before the first Telltale season, you probably know what I mean. If you were a fan before Hit the Road, you definitely know what I mean.

The stuff we get tends to feel few and far between, but compared to most series, it's pretty insanely large. That's why we got to play three(!) different seasons that came out in just four years. That's pretty impressive. Especially considering no other telltale series even got a second season. The love is what got us from comics to games to tv to more games. But it's still just a cult-hit, and you guys seem to expect things to pump out of the franchise like it's Simpsons big. Although to be honest, not even that could come out with the volume of stuff some posters seem to expect.

I'm sure this isn't the end of the franchise, or even the Telltale series, but let's be realistic, you know? Maybe we'll get the season 3 soundtrack, but the earliest season 4 could possibly come would probably be more than a year, considering all the games telltale's got lined up. Personally, I'm hoping that we get to see the remaining pages of the infamous Max-gets-shot comic someday.

(Also, just to squash out the remaining hope, there's never going to be a poker night dlc with new characters)

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wellgolly said: When I said (speculation and) suggestion, I meant to just refer to the suggestion. I put the rest in parenthesis to just acknowledge what I was excluding. The suggestion thing seems a bit odd to me, I imagine there'd be legal issues.

That's actually a really good point. If someone were to send a script they wrote to a television show they love the people who work on the show wouldn't even be allowed to open the package. This is because if they use a single plot point or quote from the fan-written script in a later episode, even if they weren't really plagiarising it and it was just a total coincidence, the fan could then turn around and sue the producers of the show. I'm not sure if it's the same for an idea written down in a forum but something tells me the Telltale writers don't spend their nights browsing the forums looking for their ideas.

@wellgolly said: (in case you can't tell, i want the soundtrack :[)

Yeah, its a shame it doesn't look like they are producing soundtracks any more. Last one they did was for S&M Season 2 I think :(

• @supmandude85 said: ...

What did I say about that mat! Seriously.

• @wellgolly said: in case you can't tell, i want the soundtrack :[

I just remembered, we have a petition of sorts for a soundtrack to TDP.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@mikey485 said: All i really want for the 25th anniversary is a new surfing the highway collection including the big sleep and the two sketch books.

Ohhhh and don't forget to put transparent pages with the speech bubbles into "The big sleep" to get the same feeling as in the online version. :D

• You have to admit it was an awesome feature, though. Something far more web comics should utilise :)

• @Irishmile said: This is a forum ... to have conversations... I see no harm in conversing things that will never happen...

Also... Dogs and Rabbity things will never really be freelance police either.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

• @Irishmile said: Dogs and Rabbity things will never really be freelance police either.

You're right, of course. The whole idea is frankly absurd. I mean, "Freelance Police". It's a contradiction in terms. Obviously, all the dogs and rabbity things will have to get other jobs. :(

• @StrongBrush1 said: Not if I have anything to say about it.

Do you?

• @Irishmile said: Also... Dogs and Rabbity things will never really be freelance police either.

Yeah, because THAT would be REALLY ridiculous. :rolleyes:

• @wellgolly said: It seems like most of the threads in this subforum are either speculation or suggestions about where to take the franchise from here. Just on the front page alone, there's:

[LIST]
    [*]A suggestion to buy and finish Freelance Police
    [*]Speculation about a new TV season
    [*]Someone planning to sell Purcell's concept to Adult Swim for a new series somehow
    [*]A season 4 (speculation and) suggestion thread
    [*]Anticipation for some kind of release for the 25th anniversary of the franchise
    [*]more speculation about a new TV season[/LIST]

Guys, none of this will happen. Ever. The only exception being the possibility of Steve Purcell drawing a little something on his blog, and a Telltale sale.

First off, things don't work this way. The sheer force of willpower alone can't create things. For the sake of an example, let's talk about the new TV series hopes. Pitching a new show would require tons of work, that a man who already has another demanding job simply can't do. It would take a very, very long time to go from concept to the screen, and most series don't get picked up. Hell, most don't even get to be made into a pilot. Just because you'd like to see it doesn't mean all the steps in the process would go smoothly. Not to mention it doesn't mean Purcell would find time, interest, and a satisfying concept for an adaptation.

Anyway, Sam & Max has always just been a very small amount of content for its fanbase's size.. If you've been a fan of the series since before the first Telltale season, you probably know what I mean. If you were a fan before Hit the Road, you definitely know what I mean.

The stuff we get tends to feel few and far between, but compared to most series, it's pretty insanely large. That's why we got to play three(!) different seasons that came out in just four years. That's pretty impressive. Especially considering no other telltale series even got a second season. The love is what got us from comics to games to tv to more games. But it's still just a cult-hit, and you guys seem to expect things to pump out of the franchise like it's Simpsons big. Although to be honest, not even that could come out with the volume of stuff some posters seem to expect.

I'm sure this isn't the end of the franchise, or even the Telltale series, but let's be realistic, you know? Maybe we'll get the season 3 soundtrack, but the earliest season 4 could possibly come would probably be more than a year, considering all the games telltale's got lined up. Personally, I'm hoping that we get to see the remaining pages of the infamous Max-gets-shot comic someday.

(Also, just to squash out the remaining hope, there's never going to be a poker night dlc with new characters)

You where a little bit hasty when you posted this, dude. No offence meant, cos I agree with you, but you know how forums work, your lucky you haven't been flamed like no tomorrow.

Having said that, I 100% agree with you. I can see something happening for the anniversary but in all honesty I don't see a Sam and Max season 4 until late 2012 at the absolute earliest (I think it will be 2013 but that's just me).

Add Comment