User Avatar Image

Illegal copies, what do they look like

posted by barchetta on - last edited - Viewed by 443 users

Let me first make it clear that I do not own any illegal copies of any TellTaleGames games, only the real deal (plus downloadable-only games, like Poker Night, Puzzle Agent, Hector, Bone -- yes, I'm a big fan):

sm0.jpg

But on my vacation to Indonesia last month, I came across one of the many illegal movie and software stores.

sm6i.jpg

There I saw ...

sm1n.jpg

(lower right corner: "Collectible Badges"?)

sm2p.jpg

80,000 rupiah, that's US$ 9.00 or € 6.50 for a set of 2 DVD's.

sm3q.jpg

Ooooh, that looks pretty fake!

sm4l.jpg

Of course, no Collectible Badges to be found. Instead, 2 chinese DVD's.

sm5e.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't buy anything there.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There used to be bandwith caps all over the place here in the UK.

But then there was a massive media uproar over it, so they decided to change to speed capping instead.

Since we have an old unlimited boradband contract, and the fact that AOL doesn't really care that much, I have never had an issue downloading anything.

(However, the UK is way way behind in terms of speed. Most areas of the country have 4mb max, 1mb if you are lucky)

• yeah what sucks is we're getting bandwith caps and decreasing out net speeds. Before the cap I was downloading at like 5 MB. After it I was lucky to get 1MB

• @Vainamoinen said: We are SO alike. ;)

Not really. The first thing I did when I got a broadband connection was: download Steam and try out the Half-Life 2 demo while my fresh registered old Half-LIfe 1 key got me all the expansions for free even though I never owned them.
    From what I know about you that would be the last thing you'd do.

• Hard media probably exists for about 20 more years.

• @DAISHI said: Hard media probably exists for about 20 more years.

Maybe as a commercially viable option. But I think people will still collect hard copies of things for collections and such. Just not the general population.

• @RetroVortex said: There used to be bandwith caps all over the place here in the UK.

But then there was a massive media uproar over it, so they decided to change to speed capping instead.

Since we have an old unlimited boradband contract, and the fact that AOL doesn't really care that much, I have never had an issue downloading anything.

(However, the UK is way way behind in terms of speed. Most areas of the country have 4mb max, 1mb if you are lucky)

Indeed. I can't get any better than 4Mb currently. Which means a 5gb game can take about 4hours to download. With the size of games increasing (RAGE is 20gb, and I hear SWTOR's beta is currently 30gb). It'll soon take me an entire day to download a game.

• @Rawr said: Indeed. I can't get any better than 4Mb currently. Which means a 5gb game can take about 4hours to download. With the size of games increasing (RAGE is 20gb, and I hear SWTOR's beta is currently 30gb). It'll soon take me an entire day to download a game.

My internet's pretty darned slow. It'll take me a day to download about 5gb uninterupted, which is never.

• Internet is really slow in Indonesia. That may be the reason for these many movie/software shops there. Then again, it's mainly Australians who buy the stuff.

As for the extras, like the collectible badges: they're probably not printed on the inside of the cover. Don't believe everything that's printed on these fake covers. The movie covers always mention 'Dual media', like 'HD-DVD and DVD' or Blu-Ray, while they're ordinary DVD's. And many extras like a commentary track, alternative ending and deleted scenes, which they actually lack, because it's a DVD-5 (eventhough they print 'DVD-9' on the back cover). It's just a big big scam.

• I understand the appeal, but you can get these games anywhere on disc(mostly, some governments regulate[not naming names] and the only way is illegal unfortunately). As far as I know, these versions are missing content. There are very few places you cant get(one way or another, legally) what you want game-wise and you should support the people who make/sell/distribute them to encourage future releases...but yet again... :/ those few places where certain thing are prohibited(not saying this OP is one of them), just get them and play them. Do what you can to spread the word. I am in no way condoning people who want to drink for a week/ask for something else from parents/life's hard, I need 10 pairs of pants... folks in USA,Canada,UK etc. If you CAN get it legally, DO IT and no one here wants to hear otherwise. There are some that sacrifice good meals and new clothes to support their favourite games.
    I just wouldn't be surprised if some of these games aren't available in some markets... especially sam & max, which just got edgier and edgier.

Edit: Wait. There's a newer Playboy PC game? hahaha. I have no interest, but I find that funny. Oh. ....And yes, I've purchased all my TTG games. Staff can check my account. I've also purchased Sam & Max seasons 2&3 twice...PC & PSN(wanted to try the controller settings and the bundle beckoned me).

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: Not really. The first thing I did when I got a broadband connection was: download Steam and try out the Half-Life 2 demo while my fresh registered old Half-LIfe 1 key got me all the expansions for free even though I never owned them.

The "alike" thing was of course a joke. But as I definitely expected you to immediately bring up the Steam issue, we could still go for "we know our every thought". :D

Add Comment