User Avatar Image

Why does LeChuck love Elaine?

posted by StoutFiles on - last edited - Viewed by 536 users

I'm a little bit confused on why exactly LeChuck loves Elaine so much. Is it personality? Is it attractiveness? Is it her position of power?

See, I always thought it was her personality; she being so against LeChuck that he's turned on by it and makes it his mission to make her love him. But when she grabs the voodoo sword it COMPLETELY changes her personality! Elaine is now basically a slave to his power and has no control over her own emotions...she's basically a different person.

What's the point in that? Why would he want to completely change the person that he supposedly loves so that she's now a different person?

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @metroidreborn said: This is actually a sad quality in LeChuck's character in my opinion. He only believes that he loves Elaine, when deep down inside, the guy has no clue what it means to be in love. You saw what LeChuck has done to Elaine and what he is willing to do to her. He has abducted her, abused her, tortured and murdered her friends and family, and even attempted to kill her and reanimate her. Anyone in their right mind would not do those things to someone they were truly in love with.

    LeChuck does not truly love Elaine, but only thinks he does because of his own sick and twisted definition of the word: to cook, clean, and have sex with. He most likely was never taught what love was and Elaine may have been the first person to even be a little nice to LeChuck until she learned of his true nature, so he thought she would be perfect for him. In my opinion though, I don't think LeChuck knows how to love. I mean he has done things to Elaine that he has done to his worst enemies. I think Tales established what LeChuck has always wanted from Elaine, to be his servent. That's my take on it.

    I don't agree. If LeChuck wanted a servant, he could have had one at any time with little or no effort due to his voodoo powers (and you don't really think he cares for a tidy fortress, do you?)
    As for the sexual aspect, it's not that LeChuck never got a chance to satisfy this thirst here. There have been multiple indications of him having had intercourse with prostitutes as it was common for pirates then. On top of that, there was Minnie.

    Despite most of the aspects of LeChuck's obsession being of a negative and cruel nature, I don't see why he would try to oppress her since he offers her to become equally powerful as he is ("Queen of the Dead" / "Demon Pirate Goddess".) If he wanted to have her as a slave, he wouldn't make such an effort to get her. Just as he said himself at the end of Trial "Well. You can't say I didn't try." He tried to impress Elaine by sailing out to Monkey Island in the first place. Such a gesture is a sign of being in love with someone.

    Come to think of it, this reminds me a little of the Trojan Saga of Helen (the most beautiful woman on earth) who was espoused to Paris by Venus, who asked for Paris' vote in a contest in return.
    Maybe the Voodoo Lady once promised LeChuck he would have Elaine but asked for something in return he wasn't willing to give to her. Being enraged, he since tries to prove that he can win Elaine without the VL help and his obsession with this idea grows worse with every thwarted attempt.

  • @Mermaid said: I don't agree. If LeChuck wanted a servant, he could have had one at any time with little or no effort due to his voodoo powers (and you don't really think he cares for a tidy fortress, do you?)
    As for the sexual aspect, it's not that LeChuck never got a chance to satisfy this thirst here. There have been multiple indications of him having had intercourse with prostitutes as it was common for pirates then. On top of that, there was Minnie.

    Despite most of the aspects of LeChuck's obsession being of a negative and cruel nature, I don't see why he would try to oppress her since he offers her to become equally powerful as he is ("Queen of the Dead" / "Demon Pirate Goddess".) If he wanted to have her as a slave, he wouldn't make such an effort to get her. Just as he said himself at the end of Trial "Well. You can't say I didn't try." He tried to impress Elaine by sailing out to Monkey Island in the first place. Such a gesture is a sign of being in love with someone.

    Come to think of it, this reminds me a little of the Trojan Saga of Helen (the most beautiful woman on earth) who was espoused to Paris by Venus, who asked for Paris' vote in a contest in return.
    Maybe the Voodoo Lady once promised LeChuck he would have Elaine but asked for something in return he wasn't willing to give to her. Being enraged, he since tries to prove that he can win Elaine without the VL help and his obsession with this idea grows worse with every thwarted attempt.

    I can see your points here, but LeChuck doesn't want to settle for just any woman, he wants Elaine to be his. True he had plenty of time to have sex with other women, but that doesn't mean he doesn't crave to have those same relations with Elaine. The point that I was trying to make was that LeChuck only loves Elaine based on his definition of what love is. True he could have used his voodoo powers on anyone else to have a servant, but his crush is Elaine and it has turned into an obsession. He can satisfy his thirsts with numerous other women, but Elaine's beauty will always have him crawling back to her.

    Also, I have yet to see a true sign of LeChuck loving Elaine. Sailing to find the Secret of Monkey Island to impress her may have been a feat to get gratification but still does not really show love. Just look at all the other things he has done to her from abuse to attempted murder. He has used voodoo and trickery on her to gain her hand, even in Tales by using that trust artifact. You mentioned that he has given her equal power and that can be used as evidence to illustrate that he really can’t be trying to oppress her as a servant. However, you must also remember that the same power he is giving her is twisting her mind, making her evil, causing her to fall in love with him under a spell, and take his orders without any hesitation. He attempted to do the same to her in Curse by using Big Whoop to kill her and reanimate her. Not to mention he intended to use the Ultimate Insult on her in Escape. These just are not the gestures of someone who loves another person. The only power he tried to give and has given her is power that will only control her mind as a demonic bride.

    I believe LeChuck has warped his mind to believe he loves Elaine, but only on his standards and not by what love really is. LeChuck just seems obsessed with Elaine and will do whatever it takes to make her his own, even if that means killing her or twisting her mind.

  • and in escape from monkey island after lechuck and ozzie get the ultmate insult when ozzie and lechuck plan to use it to make elaine love lechuck and guybrush says she would never love lechuck and ozzie says the ultmate insult will make her do everything they say (or something along the lines like that) and they were gonna make her lechucks wife and since she would do anything lechuck says. then lechuck says in other words the perfect wife meaning that lechuck think elaine should do every last thing lechuck says

  • @ryannumber1gamer said: and in escape from monkey island after lechuck and ozzie get the ultmate insult when ozzie and lechuck plan to use it to make elaine love lechuck and guybrush says she would never love lechuck and ozzie says the ultmate insult will make her do everything they say (or something along the lines like that) and they were gonna make her lechucks wife and since she would do anything lechuck says. then lechuck says in other words the perfect wife meaning that lechuck think elaine should do every last thing lechuck says

    Yeah, Ozzie says "Once your wife has been exposed to its hideous, demoralizing power, her fiery pirate spirit will be shattered like so many emu eggs, making her compliant, submissive and obedient" and Lechuck says "In other words, the perfect wife". He really has the most chauvinistic view on the idea of love, and Guybrush, being the exact opposite, Elaine easily falls for, obviously making Lechuck determined to chase her, simply because she's with someone else.

    Now, I will probably be crucified for this, but this is the only thing I will say against the series; to me, Lechuck loves Elaine because the plot needs him to, they needed a villain to go after the girl that Guybrush also loved and create a compelling story out of it, so it was thought "OK, let's just make Lechuck love Elaine and chase her for no apparent reason, people will buy that". At least, if you're just playing MI1, that's what I think. However, for the series overall, it's become more complex, definitely, with what I said above, his need to make an obedient wife, and wanted the challenge of morphing Elaine into exactly that.

  • actally i just remember in tales of monkey island episode 4 or 5 (not sure which one) lechuck says it says in voodoo ladys diary that shes behind it and he says hes behind the never ending fight between guybrush and lechuck and he says shes behind his obsession of elaine

  • @ryannumber1gamer said: actally i just remember in tales of monkey island episode 4 or 5 (not sure which one) lechuck says it says in voodoo ladys diary that shes behind it and he says hes behind the never ending fight between guybrush and lechuck and he says shes behind his obsession of elaine

    He was lieng about parts of that like her making him evil. He was free from her control as a human and we all saw what he did.

  • @coolsome said: He was lieng about parts of that like her making him evil. He was free from her control as a human and we all saw what he did.

    yeah but when voodoo lady did do that thats when he got so obsessive and crazy and evil

  • @ryannumber1gamer said: yeah but when voodoo lady did do that thats when he got so obsessive and crazy and evil

    I think she just helped edvents around them not inflenced there persnalatys.

Add Comment