User Avatar Image

Playstation 3 version of Jurassic Park needs retail disc

posted by SammerHammer on - last edited - Viewed by 618 users

Downloading games over Playstation Network is very slow. Is it really a good idea to make Jurassic Park for PS3 a download only title with no retail release?
I have a great internet connection, but downloading a simple 2 GB demo for a game takes about four hours over the Playstation Network. If I have to download this, are we going to have to dedicate an entire day just to download it?
Please don't do this to us Playstation 3 owners who love Jurassic Park. We need to be able to buy this game on a disc at a store.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @chris945 said: bttf got both episode release and is getting physical release. maybe the same can happen with jp

Yes but Xbox isn't getting BTTF on retail... so it might end up one game exclusive to certain consoles (IE: JP=360 BTTF=PS3/Wii). But everyone should have them at least available through digital distributions.

• Telltale just landed that agreement with Sony to publish their games on the PS3. The 360 got a retail copy of JP, because apparently they can't put it on Xbox Live (I don't know if this is accurate). Would it be an exclusive retail release on Xbox 360? No, it should not be. Why? With the agreement Telltale just landed there would be no reason not to make a retail release on PS3 also. Us console gamer's LOVE our physical copies, sure I don't mind downloading the occasional game, but if it's a DAMN good game I need a physical copy of it sitting on my library! Call me a collector, but it would be a true shame for PS3 users not to get a retail copy, specially the ones that like keeping their physical copies of games organized.

I love Telltale to death, and I do download their classic games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Strong Bad. Is never really bothered me too much not to have a physical copies of those games, because I just accepted that the digital distribution is part of the business identity of Telltale. However, now you have Telltale making games on big franchises like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and the Walking Dead. These franchises are very well loved by their fans, they deserve a retail release, because sadly not everyone is an active online gamer that knows to keep track of digital releases. Hell, I wanted really badly Back to the Future when it came out, but since it came out on PSN and Live, I din't get it. Now that it came out today in physical copy, I was the first in line at the local store picking up my copy! And I was not alone, my gamestop SOLD out of these physical copies.

Now, with this agreement with Sony I am truly excited to see releases of Telltale franchises that I can add to my collection... And I would love for Jurassic Park to be among them. Sure, I have a 360 also, but no offense, I would rather have the blu ray of the game :P.

• hello
    Do we have "official" informations about it ?

@rainwhole said: Telltale just landed that agreement with Sony to publish their games on the PS3. The 360 got a retail copy of JP, because apparently they can't put it on Xbox Live (I don't know if this is accurate). Would it be an exclusive retail release on Xbox 360? No, it should not be. Why? With the agreement Telltale just landed there would be no reason not to make a retail release on PS3 also. Us console gamer's LOVE our physical copies, sure I don't mind downloading the occasional game, but if it's a DAMN good game I need a physical copy of it sitting on my library! Call me a collector, but it would be a true shame for PS3 users not to get a retail copy, specially the ones that like keeping their physical copies of games organized.

I love Telltale to death, and I do download their classic games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Strong Bad. Is never really bothered me too much not to have a physical copies of those games, because I just accepted that the digital distribution is part of the business identity of Telltale. However, now you have Telltale making games on big franchises like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and the Walking Dead. These franchises are very well loved by their fans, they deserve a retail release, because sadly not everyone is an active online gamer that knows to keep track of digital releases. Hell, I wanted really badly Back to the Future when it came out, but since it came out on PSN and Live, I din't get it. Now that it came out today in physical copy, I was the first in line at the local store picking up my copy! And I was not alone, my gamestop SOLD out of these physical copies.

Now, with this agreement with Sony I am truly excited to see releases of Telltale franchises that I can add to my collection... And I would love for Jurassic Park to be among them. Sure, I have a 360 also, but no offense, I would rather have the blu ray of the game :P.

• Just so we're clear here, the 360 isn't getting special treatment. (Well, it is, but not in a good way.) Telltale's games are meant to be downloaded. As episodic games, they're small (and...meant to be released episodically). Even if you put all the episodes of any one of their games together, I think it'd be too small to really deserve a retail release.

Thing is, XBLA is a pretty restrictive service, and Telltale's past experiences with it have been so awful that it seems unlikely they'll ever release anything on it again. Telltale doesn't want to ignore the 360, but they also don't want to put Jurassic Park on XBLA, so a retail release it is. PS3 owners shouldn't feel like they're getting screwed. They're pretty much being told that the PS3 has the best downloadable game service (well, as far as consoles go ;) ).

And on a semi-related note, Steam has taught me that downloadable games as a whole are better than physical releases. You can't lose your copy of the game, your game collection can't take up a lot of space in your house, and since they're not mass-producing hundreds of thousands of plastic discs it's better for the environment too. Sure, the install times can be a pain, but that seems like a small price to pay for everything else. I've made it a point to (legally) download games instead of buying retail whenever that's an option (not that there are too many games that interest me these days). Hopefully gaming as a whole will be downloadable in the near future.

But anyway, getting back on track...even though nothing's been confirmed, BttF did get a retail release for the PS3 after its PSN release, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with JP.

• Honestly, I prefer having a disk. I'd rather it take up shelf space than hard drive space.

• Dear Sixteen60.

First of all, thank you for the official news you give to us about the European release of JP.
    I read that many of us would rather get a PS3 disc game than a PSN download (tecnical reasons, and want to have a collector box between the hands).
    - Can you tell us if we can hope a PS3 retail game fot JP in a near future ?
    - Any possibility to have some other voice languages (I'm french but I also think of spanish, italian players...) in a future release of the game ?

Thanks again for your answers.

• We want a retail disc for Jurassic Park!! I love to collect games and have it after years, bringing old memories! Please Telltale, release it on a disc!

• are we aloud to use our free thingy on psn ?

• Does anyone from TellTale can tell us if there will be a PS3 retail disc release for JPThe Game ? Thanks :)

• I agree. I used to buy a lot of content at the Playstation Store but frankly the harddrive cant keep storing new games forever so it eventually became full, not to think of all of the retail games that has to be installed.. Today i got like.. 2-3 games at the harddrive and not even 500mb left. So, my point is, that i basicly demand a retail version of Jurassic Park for the Playstation 3 since it is a game that i very much want to play and i wont be able to do so without deleting tons of game data (and also get a better internet connection).

Since Tell Tale have a new publisher deal with Sony (i just ordered Back to the Future from the US. I am a swede!) i hope that will happen, as well with the upcoming The Walking Dead game.

Add Comment