User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 4.2K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lambonius said: free game

@Lambonius said: not getting what you're paying for

?????

• Hahaha...right. And what exactly did you pay for it again?

• I'm also tremendously curious about the "paid for" part. Exactly how much did you pay for TSL? By your own statement, you've never even created an account on our website so you haven't even downloaded the game period. So what exactly are you complaining about anyway? Something you weren't going to play not being done when you heard it was going to be done?

• Sure, you can have a civil conversation. But this dude's being a bitch. I can literally see his swarthy body dripping with raging nerd sweat.

"I DEMAND MY FREE GAME!"

Sorry you find it so "unacceptable". Now here's a handkerchief to mop up your tears, man up, wait a couple days and play your free game.

Bt

• I now find this thread hilarious.

• @wilco64256 said: I'm also tremendously curious about the "paid for" part. Exactly how much did you pay for TSL? By your own statement, you've never even created an account on our website so you haven't even downloaded the game period. So what exactly are you complaining about anyway? Something you weren't going to play not being done when you heard it was going to be done?

I don't understand what creating an account has to do with downloading the game episodes. I certainly can't recall ever creating one, and even if I have the forums and its discussions have no appeal or interest to me due to them appearing to be extremely unconstructive, which is why I won't bother.

So how can you say I haven't played your game when I have in fact played through the 3 episodes twice? There is something about that that makes no sense whatsoever.
    And the cost of the game can be measured in the insanely large amounts of time and energy expended in both playing it and wasting time here pointing out its positive and negative aspects, which it is obvious that people seem intent on ignoring anyway. Just because it doesn't involve pure financial expenses doesn't mean to say there's no cost involved. Sheesh.

Now if people could stop with the name-calling and blatant disregard for forum etiquette and accept that overly late releases is NOT a done deal, it would be much appreciated.

• OK... caeska its a game that they put a ton of love and effort into without financial compensation.. If they are late give them a break... I dont care if its a year late... what they are doing for fans of KQ is great and appreciated.

Everyone else stop baiting him...

Debate all you want but name calling ends now MMMKAY?

• ITT - somebody cries because a game that's being made entirely by volunteers in their spare time took a few days longer than anticipated to finish up and he calls it being "overly" late.

Seriously though - not one other single person has complained about the release needing one extra week to make sure we do things as nicely as possible for the final game we're ever going to do in our current engine. I really don't understand why you're so incredibly upset - major commercial titles are often delayed far longer than this. I'd say getting a team of 70+ volunteers to finish something off only a week behind schedule is pretty freaking impressive.

• @caeska said:
    And the cost of the game can be measured in the insanely large amounts of time and energy expended in both playing it and wasting time here pointing out its positive and negative aspects

In honor of your valuable time:

mooning.jpg

• There's a lot of white whine up in this thread.

[quote]And the cost of the game can be measured in the insanely large amounts of time and energy expended in both playing it and wasting time here pointing out its positive and negative aspects, which it is obvious that people seem intent on ignoring anyway. Just because it doesn't involve pure financial expenses doesn't mean to say there's no cost involved. Sheesh.[/quote]

This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Have you ever experienced ANY kind of real hardship in life? Seriously, the privilege of your position bleeds through everything you say. Playing it and COMMENTING about it COSTS YOU SOMETHING? Seriously, bite the big one, dude.

Bt

Add Comment