User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 40.7K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Mr Nutt said: I completely forgot about that game! I was busy answering he door to trick or treaters... while dressed as a Silence.

Silent. The singular is Silent.

/nitpick

• @Remolay said: Silent. The singular is Silent.

/nitpick

Well it is late... I should probably go to bed or something.

• Pfft. Sleep is for the weak.
    Unless bunkbeds are involved. :-P

I didn't see a single doctor who outfit last night. And the family wouldn't let me turn the dog into K9. Sadface.

• Has anyone else tried the latest Doctor Who Adventure Game? I'm a little concerned because the installer has sat there for ten minutes not doing a damned thing. I can't even click the 'Cancel' button. It's like the thing's crashed.

And this is the second time I've downloaded it. Same thing happened with the first. I really don't want to download a 810MB file a third time, so someone else tell me they had the same thing!

EDIT: Looks like I was just panicking. It has installed, I just needed to leave it for around 15 minutes. Nice and professional there.

• Yeah, I had issues too. Oddly enough, when I ignored the advice to close all programs, and opened up my internet browser, it started installing fine. Something to do with it confirming your location/TV license paying-ness.

• I've just finished it and while it's longer it's very buggy, I managed to skip two parts around the end thanks to being able to walk through solid objects.

• Well, enjoy it, as this episode is apparently the entirety of the second series.

• That's 'entirety of the second series of Adventure Games'. Don't want anyone getting confused, what with all the rumours of Matt Smith leaving! (Rumours he's denying, by the way.)

But yeah, this sucks. Especially as they've fixed absolutely none of the issues I had with the previous series of Adventure Games. Except maybe how short it was - this one seems pretty big, and given the download size, I should bloody well hope so.

Notes I mentally made during the game:

- Wow, these character movements are awkward. They're like marionette puppets being pulled on strings, or maybe robots tat don't quite understand human movement.
    - Why does Rory never blink? His eyes seem to be staring into my soul. Please stop cutting to close-ups of him, it's very unnerving.
    - Oh look, the very first thing we do in this 'Adventure Game' is a pointless platforming section to retrieve a lost screwdriver. Joy.
    - Dear god, does no-one have any emotions? This must have been the most boring set of line readings ever.
    - Oh look, it's that stupidly pointless room from TARDIS. And it's still stupidly pointless. Kinda fun reading all the facts, even if it is stupidly pointless.
    - Hey, we can combine inventory items now. Nice, but I can't see it having that many applications. This is for kids, y'know.
    - Dear god, the back half of Rory's head looks wrong! Arthur Darvill must be ashamed of what they did to him! And what's with the shoulders? Why can no-one ever get the shoulders right? It's like his jacket is two sizes too big and someone's left the hanger in them.
    - More stealth sections! Yay! Only now they're pathetically easy with no-one to spot me and they get broken up every 20 seconds to eavesdrop on someone delivering unbelievably forced exposition. Woo.
    - Wait, all this is part of one huge level? No wonder it took ages to load.
    - God, not even the extras can put emotion into their voice! Is the script really that bad?
    - OK, I know they kiss in the series, but doing it in a game, especially with the Robo-Rory, is just plain wrong.
    - How come no-one is questioning Amy being in modern day clothes? She stands out like a sore thumb.
    - Rutans! Awesome! And the appearance is actually fairly faithful! Phil Ford's done his homework. Nerd points to him.
    - That's supposed to be someone from 1605 or whatever? Oh dear lord, that's a horrendous accent!

...so yeah, it's not that good. Haven't finished it due to utter indifference, but I can't imagine the rest of the game suddenly being 300% better.

• So was I the only one who ran into glitches where I walked off of the face of the Earth by walking into a wall or a fence? Also it was kind of odd how during one stealth section when I walked into a table the Sontarans in the room disappeared from existence.

Add Comment