User Avatar Image

Accents

posted by rubygloommel on - last edited - Viewed by 395 users

Alright, I was looking at a video on Youtube where someone was going through loads of different English accents, and I thought it might be fun if people posted using their own regional dialect, like if have a West-Yorkshire accent (England) and I use a lot of slang that people outside the area (even close by like in Lancaster) wouldn’t understand at all, like:

Nowt - nothing
Owt - something
‘ey up! - hi
Sound - good
Reet - right
What d’ya know? - what’s going on with you?
Numpty - idiot

Not to mention completely missing out t’s and h’s and turning th’s into ff’s and never bothering using the word 'the' :P

Just though it’d be fun since all English accents seem to be Cockney or the Queen’s and all American accents seem to be New York or Californian Edit: And Southern! :D

Edit: Also any slang unique to your area? :)

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Isn't that the whole point of going abroad, so people will look at you? ;)

Thanks to those who posted the informational "accent" videos. They've been fun to watch, as well as the ones linked off them, like how to pronounce "aluminum".

• @WarpSpeed said: Isn't that the whole point of going abroad, so people will look at you? ;)

That's what I thought went to went to the Uk - I'll have a cool accent... then I just blended right in...

Thanks to those who posted the informational "accent" videos. They've been fun to watch, as well as the ones linked off them, like how to pronounce "aluminum".

Al u min ee um?

• I don't have an accent that can be placed to any one area. I was born and raised in Australia but both my parents are American with still-strong American accents.

In short: Australians think I sound American, Americans think I sound English and the English think I sound Canadian. I'm yet to meet a Canadian but when I do I should very much like to ask them what accent they think I have.

• Have your parents ever tried to place your accent? Also, damn, now I'd like to hear this thing.

• @Woodsyblue said: In short: Australians think I sound American, Americans think I sound English and the English think I sound Canadian. I'm yet to meet a Canadian but when I do I should very much like to ask them what accent they think I have.

Australian - in order to complete the circle :D

• I understand how americans are different, but why do you guys say SODDER instead of solder, like its spelt?i

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Looking at that wikipedia article, I guess my dialect would be Hudson Valley English. I wasn't aware that stoop and teeter-totter were regional words actually, since I hear them all the time.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Have your parents ever tried to place your accent? Also, damn, now I'd like to hear this thing.

No, my accent has never been placed, though a few dialect coaches have marveled at it. I've just sort of developing my own way of speaking I guess.

@GuruGuru214 said: Australian - in order to complete the circle :D

Or they could say something completely random like South African to keep the search forever going :o

• Speaking of accents, having just recently finished the last episode of BTTF, I have to say that during the scenes where adult Doc Brown hides behind the diving helmet you could almost swear Christopher Lloyd sounds as if he's trying to affect a mock Quebecois accent. In the event there was anything intentional behind it, it does remind me of that little joke that Ubisoft threw into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, having Ezio utter 'Montreal' at a certain point.

• Oh, yes: and also Trixie mentioning 'falling off the poutine truck'.

Add Comment