User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Blackthorne has a point.

    Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly interested in TSL given that it's apparently filled with much more drama and melancholy than the King's Quest franchise is known for.

    I can appreciate the amount of time and effort put into a project, especially one that is available for free, but TSL's style isn't really my thing.

  • You need to make an account on the POS website (not the forums) in order to download the game. That's the only way you can officially get it.

    The "cost of being a fan and commenting" crap is quite a ridiculous argument.

  • User Avatar Image
    Cez

    @Chyron8472 said: Blackthorne has a point.

    Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly interested in TSL given that it's apparently filled with much more drama and melancholy than the King's Quest franchise is known for.

    I can appreciate the amount of time and effort put into a project, especially one that is available for free, but TSL's style isn't really my thing.

    Of course I'm going to speak in pro of the game (duh!), but a lot of people have enjoyed TSL's gameplay (especially in episode 3) as a real throw back and challenge close to the Sierra days.

    While I won't deny to you that there's a heavier drama tone than any past King's Quest, TSL also has its very lighthearted and adventurous side. There are also elements of it that have been well praised, like the music and the "attention to detail" 3D revamped Green Isles. If you like the Green Isles, there's also our view of what lies beyond some of the lands (Inside Chessboard land, past the gate of the Beast castle, inside the city of the Winged Ones, etc).

    Yes, there's a dark tone that you may consider doesn't fit in a King's Quest game, but in all honesty, Tales of Monkey Isle also has its very dark moments (like the whole of Episode 4) that you don't see anywhere else in the series. TSL is not all about that tone either. it does have a collection of throwback moments that even the people that have had problems with its tone have thoroughly enjoyed.

    Episode 1 was not really a good first impression. Give 2 and 3 a try, and then make up your mind. That's all I ask :)

    I'd also recommend waiting until this sunday and grabbing the whole build of ep1-4 which contains all of the Green Isles and the culmination of our work in many ways (since Ep45 will take place in the Dreamworld, and will employ a new engine). It's also more stable since we killed a bug that was causing random crashes to some machines.

    You can see the trailer to Episode 4 here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEnPvghuvY&feature=related

  • @Cez said: since Ep45 will take place in the Dreamworld

    The other 41 episodes from now til then will continue to take place in the Green Isles. We have 10 whole episodes solely dedicated to Graham counseling people who are depressed.

  • @wilco64256 said: The other 41 episodes from now til then will continue to take place in the Green Isles. We have 10 whole episodes solely dedicated to Graham counseling people who are depressed.

    Lol...Not funny.

    @wilco64256 said: Yes, there's a dark tone that you may consider doesn't fit in a King's Quest game, but in all honesty, Tales of Monkey Isle also has its very dark moments (like the whole of Episode 4) that you don't see anywhere else in the series.

    Let's see...Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4...that was the one set at night, wasn't it? Is that what you mean?

  • User Avatar Image
    Cez

    @Lambonius said: Lol...Not funny.

    Let's see...Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4...that was the one set at night, wasn't it? Is that what you mean?

    lol no. I mean...

    no spoilers tags here? Or am I too tired to see it?


    SPOILERS***


    Guybrush and Morgan murdered by stabbing, plus the whole stuff going on with the Voodoo lady is not exactly your definition of lightness. If I recall correctly, Monkey Island never really treated that stuff as serious as it was handled in ep4. But I could be wrong.


    END OF SPOILERS**

  • @Cez said: Thanks!!

    been too sleep depraved for the past two weeks!


    Hahah, sleep depraved? Have you been committing base and vile acts in your sleep again, Cez? Methinks you're sleep deprived!

    Bt

Add Comment