User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 38.3K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think I've had two bugs so far. One was when I fell in the thames I fell through the earth and teleported back to the shore. And the other I fell through a fence (and teleported back where I was before). Nothing game breaking. I had worse in the original series.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@coolsome said: I miss the Daleks being powerfull! you know people cowing in fear of them! not MERCY!!!!

To be fair, that WAS Rory's daughter he was facing.

• @divisionten said: To be fair, that WAS Rory's daughter he was facing.

Yh but the Daleks have turned into jobbers now. Where as before they scared even The Doctor sometimes.

• @coolsome said: Yh but the Daleks have turned into jobbers now. Where as before they scared even The Doctor sometimes.

That could be because he's used to them constantly popping up. In Dalek, it was the very last Dalek, the race that destroyed his people. But it quickly became apparent that it wasn't, and they've been constantly appearing ever since. Even the Doctor must feel like shrugging his shoulders and saying "What, you lot again?" by this point.

If he actually does something like that next time they appear, I want a cookie.

• While I love Matt Smith, I feel the overarching story overshadows the individual ones and I'm finding myself increasingly turned off by it. It's actually kind of irritating - I want to like this show, but I just... I find it really hard to do so when it's almost completely different from the Eccleston era, the series I fell in love with.

Like the 'Saints Row 2' of Doctor Who, if you will. Now it's Red Faction: Guerilla. Still good in its own way, but it's not the same thing.

...god that was nerdy.

• We're seeing their plans in reverse. Plan Two; Send a Woman to kill the Doctor. Plan Three: Send the equivalent of the A-Team to lock the Doctor up and attempt to destroy the universe. The question is now what is plan one?

You forget the Silence can control people's actions by suggestion. It's a dangerous tool I expect to become vital. Madame Kovarian was probably a good person who was told she hates the Doctor by the Silence and therefore she does.

Also; the show has never been the same show from era to era. The show started as an educational tool, turned into a fright-of-the-week monster half hour, then into a military drama, then into a gothic horror, then into a slapstick humor, then hard sci-fi, then back to a bizarre mixture of the previous three, into a Teacher-and-Apprentice show, then into a big damn movie, then a story about a man with humongous Survivor's Guilt. Now it's taken the form of a dark fairytale, reminscent of Gothic Horror. Not every era's to everyone's tastes. The eras I find myself most enjoying are Pertwee (Military Drama) and McCoy (Ooh, controversial opinion! Teacher-and-Apprentice Show), but I find aspects of each era to my liking. I very much like the feel of the Davison serials (Hard Sci-Fi with lots of Adventure), but I think that the stories aren't any good.

That said, my average grade for the Moffat era is probably far and away much higher than the RTD years. The only episode I didn't really enjoy yet has been Closing Time, but even that's saved by the last ten minutes. Whereas RTD constantly had episodes like The Long Game, Tooth and Claw, Love and Monsters, Fear Her, Gridlock, and the Waters of Mars. (I am intentionally leaving three episodes most people love that I can't stand there). Although Series Four is probably my favorite series since the revival, I enjoy the Moffat era much more right now.

Add Comment