User Avatar Image

Languages?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

Which languages will be included in the game?

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I know that translations are never perfect, and I always prefer the original version, but sometimes you're tired and want to play without much thinking, and playing in a language that is not yours is more uncomfortable, like try to drive from the back seat (Rebecca Black reference?). And a lot of people can't play with only english subtitles. I have many friends that would love to play Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games but they just CAN'T.

I thought that Microsoft would help with translations, like they did with Wallace & Gromit, which has been the only TT game in Xbox to the date and had multilingual support.

Maybe my post was a bit hostile, but I was sad and needed to let off steam.

• @nomecopies said: I know that translations are never perfect, and I always prefer the original version, but sometimes you're tired and want to play without much thinking, and playing in a language that is not yours is more uncomfortable, like try to drive from the back seat (Rebecca Black reference?). And a lot of people can't play with only english subtitles. I have many friends that would love to play Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games but they just CAN'T.

+1.

• I agree with nomecopies, it is nice to play in their own language, without the stress of having to translate the sentences.

• Let's see which PC games that are due to release this month will include Italian and Spanish languages (list from vgreleases.com):

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    NCIS - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Sonic Generations - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Aliens:Colonial Marines POSTPONED RELEASE (but all past Gearbox games were at least in Italian)
    Jurassic Park: The Game - :confused:
    Need For Speed: The Run - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Saints Row: The Third - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Assassin's Creed 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Anno 2070 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Time of Fury (cannot find any info from Wasteland Interactive)
    Serious Sam 3: BFE - ITALIAN&SPANISH

Which is the only game that is known to not have Italian and Spanish languages?:rolleyes:

• Will German language be included in the Steam release or do I to have to order it directly from Telltale to get the game in German?

• @Bloody Eugene said: Let's see which PC games that are due to release this month will include Italian and Spanish languages (list from vgreleases.com):

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    NCIS - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Sonic Generations - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Aliens:Colonial Marines POSTPONED RELEASE (but all past Gearbox games were at least in Italian)
    Jurassic Park: The Game - :confused:
    Need For Speed: The Run - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Saints Row: The Third - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Assassin's Creed 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Anno 2070 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Time of Fury (cannot find any info from Wasteland Interactive)
    Serious Sam 3: BFE - ITALIAN&SPANISH

Which is the only game that is known to not have Italian and Spanish languages?:rolleyes:

Key difference:
    Telltale is a relatively small dev company with budget limitations.
    All the others are highly funded massive corporations.

To telltale each language taken for translation = a fair slice of budget that could be used to make the game a whole lot better and has limited consumer impact since like 90% of the world can speak english to some degree and therefore can cope with english only.

To massive devs of the other games, they probably already have in house translation teams and the cost is like a drip in an ocean in their budget.

Afterall translation is a big effort, its not just simply this is english this is italian its essentially a full re-write of dialogue to translate the grammar, slang terminology, colloquialisms of language and in some cases entire re-imagines to make puzzles/challenges work as they can be wording dependant. (good example is the speak easy password in BTTF, the options in other languages have to be entirely different for the mechanic of last syallble = first of answer to work)
    Plus not only is there that element of re-writing it all there is the cost of getting an entire extra cast of voice actors for the language if its a full translation.

• It will be out for spanish and german just with sub titles it's coming out with a lot of a variety of languages just with sub titles. Im good with english so im not worried

• italians should start to learn english

• @JPFix said: italians should start to learn english

Uao. Nice answer. So everybody in Europe should start to learn english because it's too difficult to make subtitles? German and French too, I suppose.

• @BitToTheFuture said: Uao. Nice answer. So everybody in Europe should start to learn english because it's too difficult to make subtitles? German and French too, I suppose.

:D Good answer. Bravo!!

Now also have to learn Chinese, is the language of fashion. I'm on it.

Add Comment