User Avatar Image

Who is your favorite guitarist

posted by bobber56 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users
138 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't like AC/DC either, but I can appreciate why others do. It can be catchy stuff. It's just not very impressive. Personal tastes. I mean, the drummer must be the most simplest drummer on the planet. Which works fine for AC/DC, but anyway...

• @JedExodus said: The only bits I like about Kashmir are the brass and strings, ie the parts that Zep didn't do themselves. I really don't know what's supposed to be so remarkable about it, maybe it was revolutionary for the time but it does nothing for me.

Well, see, that basically is the reason for it being so good. It was a song that was new and very different from pretty much all of the rock songs you'd be hearing at the time. But, y'know, I just really like the overall groove of the song, I like the originality of the riff(s), I like the innovation in the song and the unusualness of its structure. And I also really do enjoy the performance on the track. Sure there are plenty of bands who are easily capable of covering "Kashmir" picture perfect, and are probably able to run circles around it, but I think that it's Led Zep's approach to the song; the distinctive style of theirs that's strongly present in the song - I think that that's what makes it for me; that's what gives the song its unique feel and vibe that I find really appealing.

I just personally believe that it's a well-written song which was well though-out, well-performed, and has a style that I feel is exclusive to Zeppelin, cannot be emulated, and just fits the song incredibly well.

I mean, I've heard versions of the song that are a bit more complex in terms of arrangements and technicality, and are probably musically better and tighter. But they lack the style that Led Zep brought. That's what made it for me.

@JedExodus said: I don't like AC/DC either, but I can appreciate why others do. It can be catchy stuff. It's just not very impressive. Personal tastes. I mean, the drummer must be the most simplest drummer on the planet. Which works fine for AC/DC, but anyway...

Yeah, I agree. So often I just find myself wanting them to try something new; something different; try out just a few more different sorts of arrangements and structures. And yes, mix up the beats every now and then. But, in saying that, this extreme simplicity is what AC/DC is going for; that's the style that they've chosen because they like it and that's what they feel comfortable with. I'm sure they can go beyond what they're currently doing, but I get the feeling that determinedly sticking to this style is actually what allows them to come up with these catchy riffs and memorable songs, because they're working within a formula which they've refined, and which allows them to churn out quality rock songs with consistency and ease. I think they know this, and they ultimately have a reluctance to change the formula at all. And, as a fan of their output, I really can't hold it against them too much.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I don't like AC/DC either, but I can appreciate why others do. It can be catchy stuff. It's just not very impressive. Personal tastes. I mean, the drummer must be the most simplest drummer on the planet. Which works fine for AC/DC, but anyway...

Phil Rudd is a lame drummer.

• @bobber56 said: Phil Rudd is a lame drummer.

Haha! Yes, got to agree. :D

It would be nice to see a deviation from his standard bass, snare, bass, snare 4/4 beat. Honestly, he hardly does any fills, he shows almost zero independence, and he displays no imagination or proficiency as a drummer. You could give somebody drum lessons for a few months, and they'd probably be fully capable of what Rudd can do (or what he bothers to do).

I know I've said I don't blame AC/DC for their simplistic approach, but that's one aspect of their music which has just annoyed me. They could make their music so much more interesting and dynamic if they were to just hire a different drummer, and it wouldn't come at the expense of their distinctive style, sound or music-making formula.

• Neil Peart is a real drummer.

• @bobber56 said: Neil Peart is a real drummer.

Neil Peart is unnaturally good. I have such immense respect for that guy. He's one of those sorts of drummers who's more than just a beat-keeper or a human metronome, but a guy who can bring so much to the music through the way he plays his instrument; where he adds something to the music, rather than just serving as the anchor that all the other musicians play their parts around. The same can't be said for many drummers.

• So now it's drummers, eh? How do you feel about Rick Allen, Bobber?

• @GuruGuru214 said: So now it's drummers, eh? How do you feel about Rick Allen, Bobber?

You mean of Def Leppard? He's great. Especially because he's able to do all that drumming with the one arm! How do YOU feel about Neil Peart? What about Gene Krupa?

• @supmandude85 said: I don't have one.

Well, are there any that you at least enjoy or admire?

Add Comment