User Avatar Image

Good podcasts

posted by puzzlebox on - last edited - Viewed by 127 users

Hi all!

I've been on a bit of a podcast kick lately, and want to know what cool stuff is out there that I might be missing out on.

I love pop science and things with a nerdy bent, so I've really been enjoying the Dr Karl and the Naked Scientist podcasts, as well as Freakonomics Radio.

You got any recommendations? What do you listen to regularly?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In February me and my brother are visiting an episode of Kevin Smith's "Jay and Silent Bob Get Old" in London... a great Smodcast series with Smith and Mewes.

• User Avatar Image
    Shauntron Telltale Staff

Radiolab is my all time favorite. I consider it to be the spiritual successor to Cosmos, in its clear and artistic presentation on science topics with an AMAZING amount of heart to go with the facts.

Nerdist Podcast is hosted by a comedian and they have really excellent guests, with frequent and shameless nerd references. The first time I listened to it I had to shut it off, because I was laughing so hard I was afraid I would have a car accident.

• I have to say Digital Porridge Which is pretty much just two guys talking about funny stuff, and The Noise In My Brain, which is music.

• @Shauntron said: Nerdist Podcast is hosted by a comedian and they have really excellent guests, with frequent and shameless nerd references. The first time I listened to it I had to shut it off, because I was laughing so hard I was afraid I would have a car accident.

I love that podcast too! Chris Hardwick is brilliant. I like some of the 'spin-off' podcasts produced under the Nerdist banner like The Indoor Kids (which focuses on gaming) and the Nerdist Writer's Panel (about writing for TV & film).

I'd also recommend Radio Free Burrito by Wil Wheaton, though he hasn't done a new episode for a while (nearly a year now) what with the fact he's been busy actually working on various TV shows. Well I guess that's the reason anyway.

Also I have heard good things about The Bugle by John Oliver & Andy Zaltzman. I just haven't gotten around to listen to it much yet.

• I like Skeptoid. It has weekly episodes of about 10-15 minutes, where the host, Brian Dunning, debunks science myths, like alternative medicine and "evidence" of visits from aliens and similar topics. It's a perfect length for listening to while hanging up laundry.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys! Some of these sound right up my alley, can't wait to dive in and try them out.

• The Bombcast for humorous gaming talk, My Brother, My Brother and Me for all-out hilarity, Stop Podcasting Yourself and Jordan, Jesse, Go! for general humor-slanted entertainment.

For the sake of all things good in this world, listen to MBMBaM, people.

• I'd like to suggest a newer one, The Weekly Weinersmith. Episode 1 talks about scientific manuscripts, crowdsourcing scientific funds, parasites that affect the behaviors of fish to make them more easily caught by their predators(which themselves are the next hosts in the parasites' life cycle), a study regarding the long-term personality effects of psychoactive mushrooms, and studies of diseases that use monozygotic("identical") twins, including(for example) twin pairs in which one of them has something like schizophrenia.

• I gave a listen to The Escapist's podcast this week for the first time, and found it really entertaining. For any gaming fan, this is a great podcast with the right amount of humour, frivolousness and quality discussion.

Well, that's what I thought, anyway. I'd recommend it to most people here.

Add Comment