User Avatar Image

Dear telltale games

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

I was wondering ...

You all know what Lucas arts did to Ron Gilbert.

They fired him and he has been upset about it ever since.

Ron gilbert the maker of maniac mansion and monkey island one and 2. A brillant man just might give you the rights to maniac mansion and monkey island in order to make more games if he still owns the rights.

Could you imagine working with steve and ron ?

Maybe Im just a dreamer or crazy. Im sure Im not the only one though.

Maybe you guys should contact Ron gilbert and see if you guys can make even more classic game remakes.

Lots of people want a monkey island game but lucas arts doesnt have the balls to do it. Most people argue that monkey island isnt the same without Ron there anyways.

Maybe Im just overly excited about your new game sam and max but I hope that some day you or Lucas will dare to be innovative enough to bring us a new monkey island or maniac mansion. I rather have fresh innovative individualls as yoursleves do it though. Because you dare to be different you dare to go out on a limb and to try new things , different things. The world needs different and Id software and Lucas arts just doesnt have the balls to be different anymore.

THATS RIGHT LUCAS ARTS!!! All your games are the same. ! Down with lucas arts and up with telltale!!!!

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote][quote][quote]But can you imagine another Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion game? It can't be done (well).[/quote]

Of course it can be done well.[/quote]

Really, explain how. The stories should be left alone. They ended with no cliffhanger or opportunity to continue.[/quote]

Well, should I quote you from this thread

[quote] Something involving Maniac Mansion. I would like something involving the characters from Day of the Tentacle.
    [/quote]

The rest of that thread discusses which titles are best suited to potential sequels. There's also some discussion at MixNMojo.

There was some really great chat on adventuregamers.com too, but it seems the discussions there are pruned beyond a 2 month limit. :(

• The fourth Monkey Island game was conclusive for its own story but certainly left the possibility of more Monkey Island games open.

• I didn't even know that Lucasarts was still making games. I thought they were just whoring out their Star Wars licenses to any random developers they could find. Which is precisely why Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy dissappointed everyone so very badly. On the other hand, KOTOR was pretty good. And the new Indiana Jones game looks like it could be interesting. Still, Lucasarts seems to have lost their secret to making good original games. What was the last original license? Something in space? With a guy with a robot hand? Not cool. Somehow I suspect it'd take some time before Telltale could even consider trying to hire Ron Gilbert. Unless they can finance his RPG... Which is exceedingly improbable to the point of silliness.

[EDIT: Oh, kick ARSE! That's Grand Master Yak Pvt._Public to y'all now. I have joined an elite group. An elite group of people who have far too much time to do anything other than write posts on some random forum.]

• I'm sure that if everyone who wants a monkey island 3 by Gilbert gave him a dollar, JUST A DOLLAR, he could buy the rights from LucasArts. Someone should really consider this.

• [quote]I'm sure that if everyone who wants a monkey island 3 by Gilbert gave him a dollar, JUST A DOLLAR, he could buy the rights from LucasArts. Someone should really consider this.[/quote]
    He'd probably just buy a car with the money.

• :)) I don't think so, Haggis.
    He's always complaining and hoping to win lots of money to buy them. Really, he always says money is the problem.
    And another Monkey Island would surely make him earn enough money to buy 3 cars and a yacht.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote] The stories should be left alone. They ended with no cliffhanger or opportunity to continue.[/quote]

Hey! We still don't know what the Secret of Monkey Island is! That's a cliffhanger if ever there was one!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote][quote][quote]But can you imagine another Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion game? It can't be done (well).[/quote]

Of course it can be done well.[/quote]

Really, explain how. The stories should be left alone. They ended with no cliffhanger or opportunity to continue.[/quote]

Well, should I quote you from this thread

[quote] Something involving Maniac Mansion. I would like something involving the characters from Day of the Tentacle.
    [/quote]

The rest of that thread discusses which titles are best suited to potential sequels. There's also some discussion at MixNMojo.

There was some really great chat on adventuregamers.com too, but it seems the discussions there are pruned beyond a 2 month limit. :([/quote]

Very resourceful, I applaud you. When I said that, I thought there was an oppertunity to continue. But then I realized that if you did, it wouldn't be very fun.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Ron Gilbert doesn't own the rights to Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island, and he seems busy pitching his own (RPG) game to publishers.

But I do agree that LucasArts is just recycling the same old same old. Companies like Telltale, that dare to make cool adventure games, may attract the attention of other companies, who in turn may think "hmm... why aren't more people making adventure games?" It would be nice if LucasArts would be one of those companies, but I wouldn't count on it. At least there's always Telltale! :)[/quote]

I'm not sure what Telltale is doing that's particularly original. Episodic content has been done before, and their major games are a retelling of a complete graphic novel story and a sequel to a game set in a universe that is also in comic book and television form. As far as I can tell, they're not messing around much with the standard point and click interface, either.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what Telltale is doing. Creating more graphic adventure games is a good thing. But it isn't particularly original, innovative, or different than the sequel-first mentality most companies have. The only difference is that Telltale is appealing to a mostly forgotten niche.

You might see more original content from them if I end up working for them after college, or someone similarly ambitious, but for now, they don't really deserve praise for anything but filling a need.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote] The stories should be left alone. They ended with no cliffhanger or opportunity to continue.[/quote]

Hey! We still don't know what the Secret of Monkey Island is! That's a cliffhanger if ever there was one![/quote]

And we don't know if he ever got off that cliff, either. ;)

Add Comment