User Avatar Image

Lorax Movie

posted by supmandude85 on - last edited - Viewed by 260 users

What do you guys think of the new Lorax trailer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrlWJePbk8

Personally, I think it looks just like a Dr. Seuss book, but if you ever read the book it's alot darker and I don't think it should be portrayed this way. Plus, the new subplot seems pointless and showing the Once-ler is an abomination.

However, I don't think it could be as bad as The Cat in the Hat was:

aywvg8.png

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I feel like there needs to be like a 40-minute limit on children's book adaptations. That trailer is clearly resorting to Jumanji-like levels of just making crap up. It looks like it could be a decent movie in its own right but it's clearly just doing its own thing.

  • Jim Carrey and Mike Myers were hilarious in those movies. And Danny Devito is a comic genius.

  • @bobber56 said: Jim Carrey and Mike Myers were hilarious in those movies. And Danny Devito is a comic genius.

    But they have to be able to fit the character. I'll give Jim Carrey credit he fit the Grinch well, but Mike Myers was a horrible choice for the Cat in the Hat. Also, I always thought of the Lorax as like a hippie, but I'll still give Danny Devito a chance with this.

  • This looks pretty good and mildly inspirational. I'll probably enjoy it.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Anyway, ugly, ugly, ugly, obnoxious subplot, terrible choice for the Lorax's voice, and yet another gigantic shit on this poor man's work. The "joke" line at the end was so obnoxious and painful I wanted to rip my face off when I heard it. And I guess the Hollywood-mandated Romance Subplot is now being applied to entirely unrelated Seuess books, too. I don't think they even know why they include romance subplots anymore, they just do because they don't know how else to do shit.

    This is pretty much my opinion too. Modern Dr. Seuss movies are just pure garbage and miss the entire point and heart of the story in the mess of typical Hollywood tripe, and I mean to an offensive extent. Maybe the Grinch movie was a LITTLE, TINY BIT forgivable (and I have not seen Horton Hears a Who) since they were just starting out, and attempted to stretch it out as much as they could, but it just kept getting worse after that movie.

    Just stick to the cartoons because yeah, they get the point of the books across much better.

  • @PecanBlue said: This is pretty much my opinion too. Modern Dr. Seuss movies are just pure garbage and miss the entire point and heart of the story in the mess of typical Hollywood tripe, and I mean to an offensive extent. Maybe the Grinch movie was a LITTLE, TINY BIT forgivable (and I have not seen Horton Hears a Who) since they were just starting out, and attempted to stretch it out as much as they could, but it just kept getting worse after that movie.

    Just stick to the cartoons because yeah, they get the point of the books across much better.

    See my above link for Horton Hears a Who. It's, in my opinion, the best movie that's come out of Doctor Seuss books. No romance subplot at all.

  • I don't think the romance subplot is necessarily bad. The kid needs a motivation that's easily relatable. If it's simple greed then that makes him
    into a bogeyman with only the most meager morivation: profit. Ok, but why?

  • @DAISHI said: I don't think the romance subplot is necessarily bad. The kid needs a motivation that's easily relatable. If it's simple greed then that makes him
    into a bogeyman with only the most meager morivation: profit. Ok, but why?

    But it's not the tree-choppy guy that has the romance! It's the kid that gets the seed to plant that has the romance.

  • @Alcoremortis said: But it's not the tree-choppy guy that has the romance! It's the kid that gets the seed to plant that has the romance.

    This is right. I actually think that the Once-ler having a love interest that he tries to impress with the Thneed company would be a pretty good idea and a nice way to stretch the story out.

Add Comment