User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Blackthorne519 said: Hahah, sleep depraved? Have you been committing base and vile acts in your sleep again, Cez?

YES! He's been raping my childhood!!! haha

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

LOL, Exactly, Lamb! That's precisely what I meant!

Man, I need to go to bed now...!

• Episode 4 is now available for one and all!

Head on over, download and enjoy!

http://www.tsl-game.com/episode_iv.php

• Telltale, take notes. Although TSL did get a lot of things right and it IS an overall fun game (and this is the best episode to date), there are a LOT of things they got wrong.

Besides the obvious problems with cliche dialogue and an unnecessary need to tie everything together (although it is interesting to watch it unfold to an extent), I also have problems with the formatting of the game. It just seems a bit too.... formulaic. King's Quest has never been about chasing down specific items for a spell the whole game, it's more about having a general objective and picking up items along the way that you happen to find useful to you later on (I know you can argue that KQ4 is about finding the fruit, but you're not constantly reminded that that's your primary objective. You can explore the world and do LOTS of things and you soon forget that that's what you were even there for in the first place). On that note, it's also incredibly annoying to have to travel across the entire world looking for a specific item when most of the world is unchanging and not that fleshed out/interactive - not to mention the long loading times between screens.

Also, the retry button ruins any sense of danger. There's also hardly any deaths.

The boss fight, however, they got right. It was really fun and looked great. I would prefer making it so that you can react the whole time, instead of having to choose your move beforehand, but that's just me.

The Pandora's box puzzle before the boss fight, though, was a definite NO. PLEASE don't put anything like this in these games. It would have been ok if you only had to do 1 side, but that was just FAR too tedious. I know Cez made the defense that he wanted the player to feel the frustration that Valanice was feeling, but I don't like that logic. I think making the viewer feel frustrated is an effective artistic technique in other areas of expression - such as film or even music, but people play games solely for fun... and that simply was not fun. It didn't even feel rewarding after beating it.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

• Thanks for the feedback! And glad you're generally enjoying the game. :)

We've been interested in particular about feedback on those two puzzles/events/sequences--the box and the fight. An interesting range of answers have come back, but we like getting it all so we can make future attempts in Episode 5 or Cognition (our upcoming first commercial game) even better.

• My recommendation would be to slap Cesar's grubby little hands and shout a resounding "NO!" when he tries to put his foot down regarding ridiculous design decisions that he has (for some reason) gotten emotionally attached to. Sometimes children need to be disciplined for their own good before they'll learn. lol

• @Lambonius said: My recommendation would be to slap Cesar's grubby little hands and shout a resounding "NO!" when he tries to put his foot down regarding ridiculous design decisions that he has (for some reason) gotten emotionally attached to. Sometimes children need to be disciplined for their own good before they'll learn. lol

DanBackslide-405338_604_403.jpg

Never mind, César! Keep doing what you think is right.

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: DanBackslide-405338_604_403.jpg

Never mind, César! Keep doing what you think is right.

"yes man
    your party counterpart that will agree to *anything* regardless of how crazy or stupid - and sometimes illegal - it is, who can meet or beat your intoxication level and still remain as coherent as you are"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yes%20man

Add Comment