User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

A reminder here to refrain from personal attacks - keep the criticism constructive and relevant please.

• Anakin and Blackthorne, please refrain from personal insults. When you have something constructive to say, please say it constructively... Otherwise this will be my last reply to you. Thank you.

I admire the work and achievements of César and his team - that doesn't mean I agree with all their creative choices, nor was such implied in my message of support. I don't have to agree with everything someone does in order to appreciate what they do and lend them my support! Nor does César himself agree with all his own choices in hindsight - and he's big enough to say so - but the important thing is he always follows his heart when making his choices, and I won't fault anyone for that.

My message to them is still: keep doing whatever you believe is best. That's my message to everyone. It says nothing about not listening to feedback. Ultimately the choice is still made by the individual based on what she or he believes is right.

I think it's unfortunate that the atmosphere of this forum has deteriorated due to the influence of a small group of "haters" (for lack of a better word, sorry), some of whom actually come from the KQ fan-game community. :confused: That genuinely saddens me and makes me wonder if they remember what made them KQ fans in the first place. Maybe they do.

I assume most of us are here because we love King's Quest - not because we hate what other fans are doing. I mean, the last thing King's Quest is about - except when it comes to the villains - is hate.

I'm sorry if any of this was too negative in tone... I respect so many people over here, but it upsets me to see the hostility over and over. :confused:

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: Anakin and Blackthorne, please refrain from personal insults. When you have something constructive to say, please say it constructively... Otherwise this will be my last reply to you. Thank you.

Back seat moderator IN THE HOUUUSSSE!

• I wasn't really trying to attack - I just felt sycophant was a more elaborate word than "yes man".

I do think it's good advice, though - avoid the sycophants. When you surround yourself with people who have no backbone and laud your every movement, it dilutes the quality of your output. I enjoy working with people who, if they disagree, are able to tell me and communicate it clearly.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

you guys make a lot of assumption on how our team works. It's rather insulting to the team, really, to assume that I have a team at my disposal just doing and implementing everything I want, the way I want it.

Sometimes I wish it was that easy ;) If anything, the Art Director gets more his way than I do sometimes to be honest :) I was ready to cut Shadrack's fight two weeks ago when it wasn't still fully implemented, because I was nervous it wasn't going to be fully finished, but Rich pushed to keep it in, and we kept it in because of him. And, although I designed Pandora's Box puzzle, the end result was an interaction between Rich, Weldon and myself, with feedback from the testers in between that caused a bunch of changes.

It's fun to see assumptions flying all around, especially when they are so far from being what actually happens :)

And Simo, yes, I feel you. Some people are just hellbent in bringing some stuff down with every little chance they have. Really, it's sad to see so much energy spent on it, but hey, whatever rocks their boat.

• I think they're referring to your fans and audience not your team.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I think they're referring to your fans and audience not your team.

Nah, I was referring to both.

Add Comment