User Avatar Image

Possible BTTF Season 2 ideas/speculation/suggestion

posted by itssas83 on - last edited - Viewed by 11.2K users

ok first things first, I have made this page in hopes of gathering some reasonable suggestions to making the possible BttF: Season Two more enjoyable, not so everyone can post whats been said a million times about the puzzle difficulty, so here goes...

Make Puzzles more Complex/Fun/Creative/Etc.. (its said, moving on...)

One thing I been thinking about a lot these past few days is Jurassic Park, and how it will be the first game that Telltale will give you the option, or misfortune, of dying. I was thinking that we can incorporate a similar concept into the BttF series, which i would like to call "Caught Scenes". In the next paragraph I take 2 examples of this concept and explore possible scenarios from season one.

1931, when you and Doc are getting ready to jump into the Delorean, Officer Parker walks up and tries to put an end to the fun. Well what if you failed to get the keys and jump in the Delorean in time, and Parker catches you. Would he shoot/arrest you and Carl Sagan, altering the future forever?

When you are back in 1931 hiding behind the tree, what would happen if you failed to lure your alt self away from that tree? "Caught Scene" begins of you coming face to face with your alternative self, breaking rule #1 of time travel, causing irreparable damage to the time space continuum?!?!

personally i have found that if your not allowed to generally suffer some type of consequences for your actions, and puzzles essentially play on a harmless loop, the game just becomes repetitive and kinda boring. As a BttF fan, i think this would also be an exciting and safe way to explore the consequences of time travel and paradoxes etc. without having to have it play into the actual storyline. this alone could lead to some really exciting ideas.

as we know from the "its a wrap" video, telltale listens to us at the forums and values our opinions. this is a great chance to give our two cents, for whatever it might be worth! even if they use just use one or two suggestions everything can make a difference!

482 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @yoman45135 said: [QUOTE=Shadowknight1;549498][QUOTE=yoman45135;549491]

Sure they would theres over 5,000 people who bought the game and when it gets the retail release there will be a few thousands more.
    So if im any good at maths thats a nice chunk of many for them to keep as well.

5000 x $20 = $100,000

Budget of BTTF1 = 19 million.

• To my mind, the best bets for the time period/setting are-

1. The 1960's...they can borrow gags and elements from the unused 'Number Two' script and we get to see another version of George and Lorraine (I found flower girl hippy Lorraine quiet entertaining in that script). And maybe 60's Doc who is high on LSD!

2. The future...which does seem to be implied by the ending of the first season. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'revised' 2015 (or rather, 2016!) which shows a happier future for Marty (since he avoided the race with Needles). Or maybe the 2020's or later, showing us older versions of Marty Jr. and Griff. Hell maybe the far future...say around 2086...and we get to see Marty and Doc's descendants!

3. I would mind something set in the period between 1885 and 1931-say around the 1900's or 1910's, so we get to see William McFly as a young man and learn who HIS Tannen contemporary was. I would like to see the missing link in the Tannen family...Bufford's son and Kid's father (and Gertrude's husband) and how William's relationship with him went.

Actually, I wouldn't mind them spending a little more time in 1986. Once the time travel started, Marty hardly spent any time in the 'Lone Pine 1985'...he was there for all of 5 minutes at the end of BTTF1 and then the last ten minutes of BTTF3. I'd like to see more of the successful McFly family...in fact, if Arthur and Sylvia are still alive, I'd like to have Marty meet them (and I wonder if they recognise their grandson as 'Sonny Crockett' though I have my doubts about that-but it will be interesting for Marty to see that 'hot babe' once more as an aged woman!) Also, maybe we could see Clara, Jules and Verne...and how they are trying to fit into the 20th century.

• @effigy123456 said: the could base season 2 on the orginal 'Number Two' script.

@effigy123456 said: To my mind, the best bets for the time period/setting are-

1. The 1960's...they can borrow gags and elements from the unused 'Number Two' script and we get to see another version of George and Lorraine (I found flower girl hippy Lorraine quiet entertaining in that script). And maybe 60's Doc who is high on LSD!

2. The future...which does seem to be implied by the ending of the first season. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'revised' 2015 (or rather, 2016!) which shows a happier future for Marty (since he avoided the race with Needles). Or maybe the 2020's or later, showing us older versions of Marty Jr. and Griff. Hell maybe the far future...say around 2086...and we get to see Marty and Doc's descendants!

3. I would mind something set in the period between 1885 and 1931-say around the 1900's or 1910's, so we get to see William McFly as a young man and learn who HIS Tannen contemporary was. I would like to see the missing link in the Tannen family...Bufford's son and Kid's father (and Gertrude's husband) and how William's relationship with him went.

Actually, I wouldn't mind them spending a little more time in 1986. Once the time travel started, Marty hardly spent any time in the 'Lone Pine 1985'...he was there for all of 5 minutes at the end of BTTF1 and then the last ten minutes of BTTF3. I'd like to see more of the successful McFly family...in fact, if Arthur and Sylvia are still alive, I'd like to have Marty meet them (and I wonder if they recognise their grandson as 'Sonny Crockett' though I have my doubts about that-but it will be interesting for Marty to see that 'hot babe' once more as an aged woman!) Also, maybe we could see Clara, Jules and Verne...and how they are trying to fit into the 20th century.

1. Definitely agree. I could see it too. Bob Gale pretty much wrote number two by himself. It had some good elements. The LSD thing is kind of tricky; it may not be appropriate content for the game although they could be subtle so children wouldn't get it but adults would. One of the drawbacks at the time of the second film was this script had Marty preventing his own conception again (which was 1967) and another elaborate sequence to get back to the future and it was too close to the first film. But given the fact that we've now had 2 more films and another season of the game, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Now one drawback is that each of the time periods we've seen at this point (the 4 in the films and 1931 and 1876) have all had different generations.

2. I'm kind of mixed on where in the future they should go. It might be neat to show this decade (which is their future). The 2040's could be a good thing to show Marty's grandchildren or even the 2080s (as his great great grandchildren are supposedly in trouble)

3. I'm hoping to see more of William. From what we see in the game, he may be the McFly most similar to Marty; he's confident, seems to be financially successful without any intervention. And yes there is the missing Tannen. It would be a neat role reversal to have a tannen who is not a villain. Beauregard was kind of an antagonist but only because his establishment was being threatened by Edna and he does believe he's doing the right thing with his saloon.

I don't know how much time we'll see in the 'present'. We see it for about a half hour at the beginning of the first film to set up the characters and the rest of the film and 5 minutes at the end of the first and third films to see the after effects of the time travels. Likewise in the game we see it for about 20 minutes to catch up on the last six months and introduce us to edna and the last 3 minutes of the final episode (no gameplay). The reality is at this point in a time travel story, the present is only interesting when it's an alternate timeline. I would hope to see Arthur and Sylvia at a later part of their lives.

• Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans
    Way back up in the woods among the evergreens,
    There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
    Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode,
    Who never ever learned to read or write so well
    But he could play a guitar just like a ringin' a bell.

(Chorus)
    Go Go
    Go Johnny Go Go (x4)
    Johnny B. Goode

He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack,
    Oh sit beneath a tree by the railroad track
    Oh the engineers would see him sittin in the shade,
    Strummin with the rhythm that the drivers made,
    Oh n' people passin' by they would stop and say
    'Oh my but that little country boy could play'

(Chorus)

His mother told him 'some day you will be a man,
    And you will be the leader of a big ol' band
    Many people comin' from miles around,
    To hear you play your music when the sun go down,
    Maybe some day your name will be in lights sayin
    'Johnny B. Goode' tonight

• I just read the number two script again and it does in fact contain some elements of things we see in the game; When they are leaving 2015 the street starts to change (episode 5) and Marty realizes something may be wrong as they are about to hit 88 MPH in mid air (episode 2).

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: I just read the number two script again and it does in fact contain some elements of things we see in the game; When they are leaving 2015 the street starts to change (episode 5) and Marty realizes something may be wrong as they are about to hit 88 MPH in mid air (episode 2).

Yeah.

The problem with the Number Two script IMO, was that for the most part, it was essentially a rehash of the first movie-a 'Back to the Future in the 60's' kinda thing!

Sure we had the whole 2015 sequence, and there was the Almanac plot, but the latter in particular served as little more than a plot device to get Marty and Doc stranded in 1967. After that, we had the whole subplot of Marty interacting with younger versions of his parents, Marty endangering his existence and working to ensure his conception, and Marty enlisting the aid of a past version of Doc to get the Delorean back to the future. (Though of course, in this version, the two Docs have a lot more subtle interaction and there's a lot of humor there!)

• @sn939 said: Yeah.

The problem with the Number Two script IMO, was that for the most part, it was essentially a rehash of the first movie-a 'Back to the Future in the 60's' kinda thing!

Sure we had the whole 2015 sequence, and there was the Almanac plot, but the latter in particular served as little more than a plot device to get Marty and Doc stranded in 1967. After that, we had the whole subplot of Marty interacting with younger versions of his parents, Marty endangering his existence and working to ensure his conception, and Marty enlisting the aid of a past version of Doc to get the Delorean back to the future. (Though of course, in this version, the two Docs have a lot more subtle interaction and there's a lot of humor there!)

Yeah it would be interesting to see how that script would have played out; it was definitely funnier. Bob Gale has actually indicated one of the reasons in part III that Doc doesn't remember his second visit from Marty in 1955 was him taking so much LSD in the 60's; well in that script we actually see it. The sequences with old man peabody were hilarious. It did heavily focus on a character trait that Marty is always out for a quick buck and the future was far darker than what we saw (marty really was a loser in the future).

The time travel sequences were far better though; the hover conversion being damaged by a police shootout while escapting Bifhoric 1985 and a more engaging and hilarious end sequence with a miscalculation of the weight in the Delorean (200 pounds of docs weight) when flying the Delorean over the canyon (could make for a good puzzle in a game).

Also there was less time in the Biffhoric timeline; there was no second encounter with Biff (finding out how and when he got the almanac), they already knew it was 1967, Doc called Biff to find out how he got it. Interesting though that it was Doc confused what happened to the timeline and Marty the one explaining it to him.

And of course that script ended with a somewhat less climatic ending than the first (doc saying he's going to focus on the fifth dimension) given that there was no "To be concluded" or third film at the time.

So yeah in summation I don't think we were ready for those elements number two had since they were too similar to the first film but at this point we are; The 'other self' paradox was great in part II but it was already redone in episode 2 (and 4 and 5 with doc). Episode 2 did touch on Marty preventing his birth to a lesser extent but I wouldn't mind seeing that happen again. Also getting stranded in time with an elaborate time travel sequence would be interesting and the cool thing about the number two sequence is that it would have been the only elaborate sequence with the flying deloran.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Yeah it would be interesting to see how that script would have played out; it was definitely funnier. Bob Gale has actually indicated one of the reasons in part III that Doc doesn't remember his second visit from Marty in 1955 was him taking so much LSD in the 60's; well in that script we actually see it. The sequences with old man peabody were hilarious. It did heavily focus on a character trait that Marty is always out for a quick buck and the future was far darker than what we saw (marty really was a loser in the future).

The time travel sequences were far better though; the hover conversion being damaged by a police shootout while escapting Bifhoric 1985 and a more engaging and hilarious end sequence with a miscalculation of the weight in the Delorean (200 pounds of docs weight) when flying the Delorean over the canyon (could make for a good puzzle in a game).

Also there was less time in the Biffhoric timeline; there was no second encounter with Biff (finding out how and when he got the almanac), they already knew it was 1967, Doc called Biff to find out how he got it. Interesting though that it was Doc confused what happened to the timeline and Marty the one explaining it to him.

And of course that script ended with a somewhat less climatic ending than the first (doc saying he's going to focus on the fifth dimension) given that there was no "To be concluded" or third film at the time.

So yeah in summation I don't think we were ready for those elements number two had since they were too similar to the first film but at this point we are; The 'other self' paradox was great in part II but it was already redone in episode 2 (and 4 and 5 with doc). Episode 2 did touch on Marty preventing his birth to a lesser extent but I wouldn't mind seeing that happen again. Also getting stranded in time with an elaborate time travel sequence would be interesting and the cool thing about the number two sequence is that it would have been the only elaborate sequence with the flying deloran.

Here are some ideas from the Number Two script that could be used in a game-

1. Marty encountering flower girl Lorraine and toddler versions of Dave and Linda; as well as Sam and Stella Baines. That would be a nice homage to the first movie.

2. Marty being considered a draft resister and ending up in jail, with Lorraine bailing him out.

3. Marty and Doc having to ensure Marty's conception could be a small puzzle in the game, with Marty having to ensure that Lorraine gets the money to celebrate her anniversary with George. However, it shouldn't really be the focus of an entire episode...but just a minor subplot at most.

4. Marty interacting with hippie 60's Doc high on LSD (it could only be implied though)...and MAYBE 60's Doc's plan to send the Delorean back to the future.

5. Maybe the whole bit about Marty having to give a speech at an anti-war rally could be a nice emotional moment in the game.

Actually I think the 1967 setting should only be used for 1-2 episodes and it should be tied in with a plot involving the future.

• I would like to see the young Emmet involved again somehow, the dude was a hoot! It would be fun to place him and Marty in a situation like prehistoric times or whatever. But I don't see how that could be done as it would reveal to him his future in time travel.

Medieval times would be one era not explored in BTTF. With time travel the possibilities are pretty endless.

Add Comment