User Avatar Image

Possible BTTF Season 2 ideas/speculation/suggestion

posted by itssas83 on - last edited - Viewed by 24.5K users

ok first things first, I have made this page in hopes of gathering some reasonable suggestions to making the possible BttF: Season Two more enjoyable, not so everyone can post whats been said a million times about the puzzle difficulty, so here goes...

Make Puzzles more Complex/Fun/Creative/Etc.. (its said, moving on...)

One thing I been thinking about a lot these past few days is Jurassic Park, and how it will be the first game that Telltale will give you the option, or misfortune, of dying. I was thinking that we can incorporate a similar concept into the BttF series, which i would like to call "Caught Scenes". In the next paragraph I take 2 examples of this concept and explore possible scenarios from season one.

1931, when you and Doc are getting ready to jump into the Delorean, Officer Parker walks up and tries to put an end to the fun. Well what if you failed to get the keys and jump in the Delorean in time, and Parker catches you. Would he shoot/arrest you and Carl Sagan, altering the future forever?

When you are back in 1931 hiding behind the tree, what would happen if you failed to lure your alt self away from that tree? "Caught Scene" begins of you coming face to face with your alternative self, breaking rule #1 of time travel, causing irreparable damage to the time space continuum?!?!

personally i have found that if your not allowed to generally suffer some type of consequences for your actions, and puzzles essentially play on a harmless loop, the game just becomes repetitive and kinda boring. As a BttF fan, i think this would also be an exciting and safe way to explore the consequences of time travel and paradoxes etc. without having to have it play into the actual storyline. this alone could lead to some really exciting ideas.

as we know from the "its a wrap" video, telltale listens to us at the forums and values our opinions. this is a great chance to give our two cents, for whatever it might be worth! even if they use just use one or two suggestions everything can make a difference!

607 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: I just read the number two script again and it does in fact contain some elements of things we see in the game; When they are leaving 2015 the street starts to change (episode 5) and Marty realizes something may be wrong as they are about to hit 88 MPH in mid air (episode 2).

Yeah.

The problem with the Number Two script IMO, was that for the most part, it was essentially a rehash of the first movie-a 'Back to the Future in the 60's' kinda thing!

Sure we had the whole 2015 sequence, and there was the Almanac plot, but the latter in particular served as little more than a plot device to get Marty and Doc stranded in 1967. After that, we had the whole subplot of Marty interacting with younger versions of his parents, Marty endangering his existence and working to ensure his conception, and Marty enlisting the aid of a past version of Doc to get the Delorean back to the future. (Though of course, in this version, the two Docs have a lot more subtle interaction and there's a lot of humor there!)

• @sn939 said: Yeah.

The problem with the Number Two script IMO, was that for the most part, it was essentially a rehash of the first movie-a 'Back to the Future in the 60's' kinda thing!

Sure we had the whole 2015 sequence, and there was the Almanac plot, but the latter in particular served as little more than a plot device to get Marty and Doc stranded in 1967. After that, we had the whole subplot of Marty interacting with younger versions of his parents, Marty endangering his existence and working to ensure his conception, and Marty enlisting the aid of a past version of Doc to get the Delorean back to the future. (Though of course, in this version, the two Docs have a lot more subtle interaction and there's a lot of humor there!)

Yeah it would be interesting to see how that script would have played out; it was definitely funnier. Bob Gale has actually indicated one of the reasons in part III that Doc doesn't remember his second visit from Marty in 1955 was him taking so much LSD in the 60's; well in that script we actually see it. The sequences with old man peabody were hilarious. It did heavily focus on a character trait that Marty is always out for a quick buck and the future was far darker than what we saw (marty really was a loser in the future).

The time travel sequences were far better though; the hover conversion being damaged by a police shootout while escapting Bifhoric 1985 and a more engaging and hilarious end sequence with a miscalculation of the weight in the Delorean (200 pounds of docs weight) when flying the Delorean over the canyon (could make for a good puzzle in a game).

Also there was less time in the Biffhoric timeline; there was no second encounter with Biff (finding out how and when he got the almanac), they already knew it was 1967, Doc called Biff to find out how he got it. Interesting though that it was Doc confused what happened to the timeline and Marty the one explaining it to him.

And of course that script ended with a somewhat less climatic ending than the first (doc saying he's going to focus on the fifth dimension) given that there was no "To be concluded" or third film at the time.

So yeah in summation I don't think we were ready for those elements number two had since they were too similar to the first film but at this point we are; The 'other self' paradox was great in part II but it was already redone in episode 2 (and 4 and 5 with doc). Episode 2 did touch on Marty preventing his birth to a lesser extent but I wouldn't mind seeing that happen again. Also getting stranded in time with an elaborate time travel sequence would be interesting and the cool thing about the number two sequence is that it would have been the only elaborate sequence with the flying deloran.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Yeah it would be interesting to see how that script would have played out; it was definitely funnier. Bob Gale has actually indicated one of the reasons in part III that Doc doesn't remember his second visit from Marty in 1955 was him taking so much LSD in the 60's; well in that script we actually see it. The sequences with old man peabody were hilarious. It did heavily focus on a character trait that Marty is always out for a quick buck and the future was far darker than what we saw (marty really was a loser in the future).

The time travel sequences were far better though; the hover conversion being damaged by a police shootout while escapting Bifhoric 1985 and a more engaging and hilarious end sequence with a miscalculation of the weight in the Delorean (200 pounds of docs weight) when flying the Delorean over the canyon (could make for a good puzzle in a game).

Also there was less time in the Biffhoric timeline; there was no second encounter with Biff (finding out how and when he got the almanac), they already knew it was 1967, Doc called Biff to find out how he got it. Interesting though that it was Doc confused what happened to the timeline and Marty the one explaining it to him.

And of course that script ended with a somewhat less climatic ending than the first (doc saying he's going to focus on the fifth dimension) given that there was no "To be concluded" or third film at the time.

So yeah in summation I don't think we were ready for those elements number two had since they were too similar to the first film but at this point we are; The 'other self' paradox was great in part II but it was already redone in episode 2 (and 4 and 5 with doc). Episode 2 did touch on Marty preventing his birth to a lesser extent but I wouldn't mind seeing that happen again. Also getting stranded in time with an elaborate time travel sequence would be interesting and the cool thing about the number two sequence is that it would have been the only elaborate sequence with the flying deloran.

Here are some ideas from the Number Two script that could be used in a game-

1. Marty encountering flower girl Lorraine and toddler versions of Dave and Linda; as well as Sam and Stella Baines. That would be a nice homage to the first movie.

2. Marty being considered a draft resister and ending up in jail, with Lorraine bailing him out.

3. Marty and Doc having to ensure Marty's conception could be a small puzzle in the game, with Marty having to ensure that Lorraine gets the money to celebrate her anniversary with George. However, it shouldn't really be the focus of an entire episode...but just a minor subplot at most.

4. Marty interacting with hippie 60's Doc high on LSD (it could only be implied though)...and MAYBE 60's Doc's plan to send the Delorean back to the future.

5. Maybe the whole bit about Marty having to give a speech at an anti-war rally could be a nice emotional moment in the game.

Actually I think the 1967 setting should only be used for 1-2 episodes and it should be tied in with a plot involving the future.

• I would like to see the young Emmet involved again somehow, the dude was a hoot! It would be fun to place him and Marty in a situation like prehistoric times or whatever. But I don't see how that could be done as it would reveal to him his future in time travel.

Medieval times would be one era not explored in BTTF. With time travel the possibilities are pretty endless.

• @crmfghtr said: I would like to see the young Emmet involved again somehow, the dude was a hoot! It would be fun to place him and Marty in a situation like prehistoric times or whatever. But I don't see how that could be done as it would reveal to him his future in time travel.

Medieval times would be one era not explored in BTTF. With time travel the possibilities are pretty endless.

Well that would make no sense because if im right there was no medieval times in america (Britian stilll owned america I think or they didnt discover them something like that)

Besides medieval is boring in my opinion I would rather see the 50's again or the wild west or the future.

• @yoman45135 said: Well that would make no sense because if im right there was no medieval times in america (Britian stilll owned america I think or they didnt discover them something like that)

Besides medieval is boring in my opinion I would rather see the 50's again or the wild west or the future.

The only way a trip to the Medieval ages would work is if they confirmed that the DeLorean could travel to specified places as well as times. This would require a little logic stretching, considering the options given by the time circuits, or an entirely new time circuit display. While it is implied that the DeLorean can travel through space as well as time, it's never really a set destination.

• I really hope they treat this as a sequel and not more episodes of the same gameplay. The cartoon graphics have to go. I would like a little more free roam exploration and maybe some platforming not just an adventure point and click. In fact that's my major problem with BTTFTG. I hate adventure games. Good on story but weak on gameplay. There needs to be some more action involved. I would love for some uncharted like platforming while keeping some of the point and click/puzzle mechanics.

Also is it just me or does Marty not seem like Marty anymore? He seems like a kid not a teenager.

• @crmfghtr said: I would like to see the young Emmet involved again somehow, the dude was a hoot! It would be fun to place him and Marty in a situation like prehistoric times or whatever. But I don't see how that could be done as it would reveal to him his future in time travel.

If they go back to the 1930's again the fans would have a crapfest. They already spend 3 and a half episodes there.

I can't remember who made the quote but when part IV was at it's height of rumours (late 90's) someone brought up Doc mixing wits with Merlin. Still I can't see them going outside 1800-2100
    -if they go to the past it's usually about cause an effect. As mentioned they'd have to leave hill valley (and if you include the game and the films the only scenes outside of hill valley are Marty's entrance into 1885 in part III and ending up on the outskirts at the beginning of episode 3.

I'm assuming the DeLorean CAN travel across space, seems awfully convenient that the automatic retreival system landed it on docs doorstep. But so far every time travel we've seen with someone driving the car, the car ends up in the same spot. Regardless though, the setting should remain Hill valley.

People were mad about the lack of time travel in the first game, they can make up for it here. Set each episode in a different time.

• Keep in mind that time travel pretty much HAS to involve space travel to work at all. If one were to travel through time to the exact same spot in real space, to an arbitrary date and time, the rotation and position of the earth would have changed. In fact, given an expanding universe, even if one were to go to the right moment in time, say exactly one year ago taking leap seconds into account, the "real" location of the planet would be closer in to (the past) or farther out from (the future) the Big Bang origin point. And I'm not sure we even have a good coordinate system for measuring and placing the destination point -- almost everything we have ever had to calculate is relative to our own solar system.

Time travel to the same exact spot on a spinning, moving oblate spheroid in an expanding universe system means we have to somehow comprehend a relative system we can't currently even observe from any useful vantage point. Doc Brown rocks. :)

Add Comment