User Avatar Image

Voice acting in Bone

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 696 users

Is the voice acting in the trailer final? I've heard much worse (see www.audioatrocities.com for some examples), but it's terrible compared to Psychonauts or the more recent LucasArts adventure games; considering that LucasArts is where Telltale's founders got their pedigree, I expected much better. I'm not alone in this opinion, by the way:
http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=55488

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • From this new article ;

[quote]"The voices are pretty close to what I had in my mind, especially Phoney Bone," Jeff Smith said. [/quote]

And, well, if Jeff Smith thinks the voices are "right", then I think I can live with them. :p

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Exactly how I feel :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I feel the same aswell though I must say that Simely was the only one that really bothered me.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Really? I thought Smiley fit my idea better than the rest. Phoney was a bit... strange and high, but since he was yelling at the time, his voice would be, so I think I'll like his acting. Fone was the weirdest for me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it like Brushguy (hi, Brushguy!) said.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

yeah, I found him slightly too goofy, yet truthfully my problem with him may purely based on the fact that I never really had a image of how he should sound in my head. Then again wouldnt that make me more excepting of the voice....oh well time will tell

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Exactly. It's amazing: you have a distinct idea of a character as you read a book, then you think about the voice in a movie or game and have no idea what it should sound like!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

You know, I tried to come at the trailer with the mindset that the voices were probably not going to be exactly like I imagined while reading the comic. Largely, this succeeded, the voices were indeed not like I was expecting, and I'm fine with that. There is one line in the trailer which is simply so poorly delivered it boggles the mind (Especially given what an outstanding line it is!):

When Fone says "Stupid, stupid rat creatures!", it's as though the actor is reading the line with no concept of what it means or the context in which it is used. His voice is completely flat, conveying no emotion whatsoever. He should be, at the very least upset, with the rat creatures, ideally he should be completely incredulous that _anyone_ could be so completely mind-numbingly *stupid*. Instead, he just sounds bored.

The line is "Stupid, *STUPID* rat creatures!", not "stupid stupid rat creatures"

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think the voice acting in the trailer sounded just fine. Better then some voice acting I have heard in adventure games. I can't wait till this game is released.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I had no real probelms with the voices of the characters, based on the trailer. Certainly hugely different from what I would have done, but I think I can perfectly understand the choices, after thinking about them. Hard to judge without hearing more.

I did however find the trailer 'narrator' voice monotonous and a bit annoying. Takes all kinds :-)

All in all, I'm starting to get my hopes up for the game.

• To the last three posters - Welcome to the forums

The voices were great. I'll wait for the game before making any more comments for or against.

Add Comment