User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 22K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ok but how do u control the pointer with teh mouse????

• User Avatar Image
    NickTTG Telltale Staff

@Sitec said: The only thing I would have done different is maybe had a few more "Serene JP moments" with Brachiosaurs, Gallimimus, and Stegosaurs etc. wandering around. The best part for this would have been when Nima and Gerry are talking on the lookout. I thought it was coming but it didn't.

For the record, I totally agree. In the lookout scene with Gerry and Nima, we talked about doing some dinosaur stuff, but in the end had to cut it. Glad you like the game as a whole though!

• I loved when Miles said to Nima "Hey we have dodgson here! See she doesn't care" :) They really did do their homework. One of those great touches with the game for hardcore Jurassic Park fans.

• Sorry to say this time you really blew it.
    I only did some of it but could not stand it and stopped.

It is not a game, there are no real challenges, you don't have to solve riddles or else.

Rather it's like a mini-movie in which, to pretend it's a game, now and then you get instructions to push buttons. "Push up then push left". What's the challenge in that?

I'm sorry there's no "Satisfied or your money back" policy because, for as much I loved your other games, this one is a joke, I will not play further, and I really would like to give it back for a refund.

I do hope your next one will be back on track. Please!! You were good, get back there. Return to games that DO challenge the player. I like good games, and you were one of my favorite sources.

Let's make this a once in a lifetime slip never to be repeated again. Thank you.

• ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------- Piccobello's detailed review ---------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I finished the game and was looking forward to write a small review.
    I will try not to spoiler. So let's get it started:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro
    I already preordered in spring and JPTG was a highly anticipated game for me. There are just a handfull of JP games and 90% of them are - let's be honest - junk. They don't attract me as a gamer and they don't even attract me as a fan. If I remember when I got the JP game for the SNES as a kid I was so excited about and then so frustated about how bad the game actually was [I know there are fanboys who will hate to hear me saying this], but it was a general game, collect all the eggs, fight dinos, no story, no spirit, no fun.

Story
    This is the most anticipated thing I was looking for and I think Telltale did a great job here. One of the members here said, it was even better than JP2 and JP3 both and I can just agree with that.
    When I watched the trailers and especially the characters I was doubtful if they match into the JP scenery, but in the end they are cleverly integrated into the plot and have comprehensible backgrounds and relations to each other. Every character has it's own pros and cons, but that's what makes a character believable.
    The plot as it is is stunning. It has everything you would expect of a JP movie. For my taste the introduction could have been longer. Compare it to the movies, the actual action begins after half of the movie. But treating JPTG like JP 1.5 it's ok for me though.

Graphics
    I don't want to repeat what has been already said. I think Telltale did a great job and tried to do the most of their opportunities. Despite some bugs, let's talk about the good things: I was really impressed by some of the effects, especially the tunnel-view you get to see later in the game. In movies I mostly hate this effect, but here it was used sparely, but intelligent.
    And a very important note, when we talk about graphics is also game art. Telltale has added so many new scenes, buildings, ideas - and they perfectly fit into the JP theme. When I watched JP2 I was so annoyed of the art direction. It was completely different to JP1 - I thought those facilities were built by another company, not InGen.

Sound
    Awesome! (Again, we don't discuss the audio bugs in here)
    I always got goose pimples when I hear the JP theme and Telltale even added more sounds to it. Some songs will recall the original theme, some are more specific to that game.
    However, the only point when music annoyed me was in Episode 2. I beleive there was one song which was repeated to often (I will check the soundtrack to post the song's name here).
    The dinosaurs have of course the "traditional" screams and grunts like in the movie, which makes a perfect atmosphere.
    I played the game in English and was very pleased by the voice performance.

Gameplay
    Okay, I've said many good words about the game, now let's go ahead and put some constructive criticism.
    I'm not sure what to say about the gameplay: there are scenes when it makes fun and scenes when it gets annoying.
    Sometimes you've the feeling that you're actually playing a game and sometimes watching a movie, which can be both positive and negative.
    There are some scenes when the atmosphere is surprisingly getting destroyed by the gameplay and otherwise. It's hard to describe.
    For example: The fighting scenes could actually benefit of a bit more freedom. Instead of dying, it would have been nice to have alternative actions, so that it also makes fun to play the game twice, because you could try other solutions to survive.
    I also had the impression that dialogues had just no effect in the story. I could have skipped every dialogue and just play the game itself (I'm not sure if that was intended).
    Moreover, there are also puzzle elements. I'm not a puzzler, but I found those way too easy to solve.
    In the result, the gameplay could have done more differently.
    For a casual gamer it's probably too easy and too repetitive.

Result
    I'm satisfied with the game. It could have been longer, but on the other hand if it were longer it probably would lost much of its atmosphere and would have added scenes, which don't bring the story further.
    However, this is the Jurassic Park game I've waited so long, because no one ever tried to stick to the concept and the actual idea of Jurassic Park (and it's just not about having dinosaurs fight and kill each other) and I think they really got a good job here and "dived" into the subject.
    Thanks Telltale.

I wonder if there're people who actually read all this above :confused:

• Piccobello, you hit the nail in the head on your review, i feel the exact same way :) love the game very much, money well spent in my opinion

i literally have nothing to complain about in the game, other than a certain character i really liked dying... sorry i don't know how to do the spoiler tag

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@piccobello said:
    I wonder if there're people who actually read all this above :confused:

I read it all. Thanks for the feedback and criticisms. I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

EDIT: I've been reading every review, good and bad, that I can get my eyes on.

• @Dinoman87 said: Piccobello, you hit the nail in the head on your review, i feel the exact same way :) love the game very much, money well spent in my opinion

@Dinoman87 said: I read it all. Thanks for the feedback and criticisms. I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

Thanks for reading it :o

• I agree with basicly everything you said, piccobello. Although, i still would have loved for the game to be longer. In fact, there were moments in the game where it felt like some story elements were missing. What story we had was great but at times it felt like the story jumped around a bit. And seeing how it was originally going to be 5 episodes i can't help but wonder what story elements were removed.

• @waroftheworlds01 said: I agree with basicly everything you said, piccobello. Although, i still would have loved for the game to be longer. In fact, there were moments in the game where it felt like some story elements were missing. What story we had was great but at times it felt like the story jumped around a bit. And seeing how it was originally going to be 5 episodes i can't help but wonder what story elements were removed.

You're right, without knowing what has been removed we can't say if it was necessary to remove them.

Add Comment