User Avatar Image

IGN's Review

posted by KingHorror on - last edited - Viewed by 787 users

First Let Me say Telltale, You are Awesome, Being a huge Jurassic Park Fan You guys Really took me back into the Movies and I really am enjoying it so far. (almost done with Ep.2, no issues so far ether) I tell what I really think of it once I find time to finish.:)

IGN on The other hand...Not so much apparently

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212843p1.html

P.S. It does seem like looking back at the previews that Greg(whom I normally like and agree with) Didn't like the game's direction to begin with which is a shame. Anyway Hat's off to Telltale you did a Good Job.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am personally not surprised Jurassic Park the game is definitively a niche game.. sort of like Heavy Rain was... People that love JP will love it... people who love a game with a great story will love it... people who like "adventure games" will love it... the average gamer might dig it but.. I think its sort of one of those games that was made for a specific target..

But that is just my opinion.

• @sockableclaw said: Lol at you all.

If they had given the game a good review, you'd be singing IGN's praises, and you know it.

Also they gave the BTTF episodes good reviews, so they aren't biased against Telltale.

They seem to give JP a bad review just because it doesn't follow the earlier games' formula for gameplay, and the reviewer is seemingly taking no notice of story or atmosphere.

And the fact that they gave BTTF a good review just goes to show that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

• Touche!
    I guess it's just me. I love the Jurassic Park series, and never played BTTF. So yeah, it's only an opinion. Some people like it, some don't.
    Although I'll always disagree with IGN. Always...
    Except maybe with Back to the Future. I'd probably like that.

• @caeska said: They seem to give JP a bad review just because it doesn't follow the earlier games' formula for gameplay, and the reviewer is seemingly taking no notice of story or atmosphere.

And the fact that they gave BTTF a good review just goes to show that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Nah, I think it shows that BTTF actually deserved the good scores that it got. Jurassic Park is basically Dragon's Lair if you wanna get right down to it. It's fun to look at but there's no real control. I would've given the game a 6.5 myself.

• IGN= Ignorami, Gamers, and Nitwits

To put it bluntly, these guys have no idea when they're looking at a good game. I thought the first episode was excellent. Granted, it was a little disheartening to see myself fail so miserably at quick-time events,but I enjoyed the cinematic visuals and the story behind the game.

• @sockableclaw said: The fact is, everyone REALLY wanted a free-roaming sandbox type of Jurassic Park game where you actually get to roam wherever you wanted in the park

Uh, no, not everyone. Some of us actually like that it's a structured story instead of a free-roaming, meandering mess. Free roaming is not the be-all-end-all of gaming. It works great for some things, but if you want a story that actually has tension and a little thing called pacing, free-roaming is not the way to go.

I do agree with IGN about the graphics, but Telltale has never been about cutting edge graphics and really...who cares? I DISAGREE with them about the story and characters. Maybe that reviewer never bothered to make the characters talk to each other or something, because I thought they were the most realistic and well-rounded characters that TT's ever done.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Uh, no, not everyone. Some of us actually like that it's a structured story instead of a free-roaming, meandering mess. Free roaming is not the be-all-end-all of gaming. It works great for some things, but if you want a story that actually has tension and a little thing called pacing, free-roaming is not the way to go.

I do agree with IGN about the graphics, but Telltale has never been about cutting edge graphics and really...who cares? I DISAGREE with them about the story and characters. Maybe that reviewer never bothered to make the characters talk to each other or something, because I thought they were the most realistic and well-rounded characters that TT's ever done.

Are you telling me you wouldn't want a free-roaming Jurassic Park game where you could go to any part of the park you wanted? You're crazy.

And imagine a bonus mode where you could take the normal tour as if you were a tourist! And each tour you took would be different because you'd never know whether the dinosaurs would actually show up for each section, just like in the movie. That would be GREAT!

• @sockableclaw said: Are you telling me you wouldn't want a free-roaming Jurassic Park game where you could go to any part of the park you wanted? You're crazy.

I for one would enjoy that. But I agree - there isn't ever much story behind a free-roaming game (other than The Elder Scrolls games) because there is so much to do and you get lost in all the side quests. I would like to finally see all of Jurassic Park, but maybe as a mod for a bigger game, not as its own game. I think TellTale did the right thing.

(I see you edited, sockableclaw) Yeah, that would be cool, but again, as a mod, not a complete game. Actually, now that you think of it, why hasn't someone done a Fallout / Oblivion / any other free-roam game mod about Jurassic Park?

• @sockableclaw said: Are you telling me you wouldn't want a free-roaming Jurassic Park game where you could go to any part of the park you wanted? You're crazy.

And imagine a bonus mode where you could take the normal tour as if you were a tourist! And each tour you took would be different because you'd never know whether the dinosaurs would actually show up for each section, just like in the movie. That would be GREAT!

That's a terrible idea. This game was never meant to be a GTA: Isla Nublar

• @lordvader900 said: I for one would enjoy that. But I agree - there isn't ever much story behind a free-roaming game (other than The Elder Scrolls games) because there is so much to do and you get lost in all the side quests. I would like to finally see all of Jurassic Park, but maybe as a mod for a bigger game, not as its own game. I think TellTale did the right thing.

GTA IV had a great story. :)

Add Comment