User Avatar Image

IGN's Review

posted by KingHorror on - last edited - Viewed by 757 users

First Let Me say Telltale, You are Awesome, Being a huge Jurassic Park Fan You guys Really took me back into the Movies and I really am enjoying it so far. (almost done with Ep.2, no issues so far ether) I tell what I really think of it once I find time to finish.:)

IGN on The other hand...Not so much apparently

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212843p1.html

P.S. It does seem like looking back at the previews that Greg(whom I normally like and agree with) Didn't like the game's direction to begin with which is a shame. Anyway Hat's off to Telltale you did a Good Job.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @caeska said: That's a terrible idea. This game was never meant to be a GTA: Isla Nublar

Oh yeah, that's a really horrible idea. Nobody would ever play a Jurassic Park like that, and it wouldn't sell any copies.

And are you telling me that if a JP game like that came out, you wouldn't play it? LOL don't lie, you know you would. :D

• I think these reviews are done by people who have never seen the original film.
    I LOVE literally the entire saga and (trying to be objective) this game IS Jurassic Park, is what i wanted to feel returning to Isla Nublar, independently of my love for the movies.

There's all. Dinosaurs, places, vehicles, people references, interaction, ecc. ecc. but above all there's the original Jurassic Park atmosphere, the situations...

So, I sure would like to play a sand box game inspired by the film, but THIS Telltale game has the ability to represent the true atmosphere of the film... The strong point of this TTgame is the story and how it is told, with an unusual gameplay BUT perfect for reliving the real feeling of Jurassic Park.

• The thing with IGN is that their reviews tend to side with hype. GTA 4 got 10/10, same with MGS4 and many other games that people talk high of before they come out(go check out how they rated the titles released this past month too). It's almost like they start rating those games at a 9 and go up and down from there. While both the games I mentioned were fun, neither is in my top 20 of all time. Seriously, GTA4 isnt even my favourite GTA game.

• Is this topic Paranoid Park ? All the legit websites that have already published a review are bashing the game big time. It will eventually get a terrible score on Metacritic.

• Did he just call Nedry "Newmen" in that video review?!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Lambonius said: Did any of you guys actually READ the review? This reviewer points out some very real and valid problems with the game, both from a fundamental design standpoint, and a storytelling standpoint.

I see that as well. Nonetheless, his most striking point IS the gameplay, where Zeros' comment comes into play:

@Lambonius said: I find it a bit unfair to review a game because that game is not the genre you would have preferred it to be, it should be based on the game as it is. It would be like saying "i didnt like call of duty because its not an adventure game" or "i didnt like world of warcraft because its not a first person shooter".

I see the problem, though I'm not sure how the situation can be remedied. It's true that many reviewers give some genres less favorable reviews, but they are seldom that biased that they hand out 50% ratings like candy just because it's a certain game genre. But reviews are always subjective, and reviewers always have to give their subjective impression whether they like a game or not. That's why I find the IGN review to be at least a valid one for the purpose of discussion.

It is, however, not a surprising result from this site. IGN had looked at the game at PAX and voiced its concerns already (as was discussed in the "IGN is worried..." thread on this forum).

@Lambonius said: Is this topic Paranoid Park ? All the legit websites that have already published a review are bashing the game big time. It will eventually get a terrible score on Metacritic.

Would you mind to post links to those "legit" websites?
    I'd be really interested.

• @T002Tyrant said: closeted men who beat off to space marines in high def....

Which is why they gave Heavy Rain a 9. :( Isn't this game the one Telltale based JPTG gameplay upon ?

Stop being delusional, JPTH is getting, at best, average scores which, in the videogame industry, means that the game is REALLY disappointing.

• @Vainamoinen said: Would you mind to post links to those "legit" websites?
    I'd be really interested.

Check on 1UP or Game Informer. The game is likely to get, at best, a 60 on Metacritic (and I'm being pretty generous here), which is terrible for in this industry.

• @sockableclaw said: Oh yeah, that's a really horrible idea. Nobody would ever play a Jurassic Park like that, and it wouldn't sell any copies.

And are you telling me that if a JP game like that came out, you wouldn't play it? LOL don't lie, you know you would. :D

I would never play a game like that. I'd much rather drill a hole in my head than play a GTA-like Jurassic Park, as that would be more rewarding and much more fun.

Add Comment