User Avatar Image

IGN's Review

posted by KingHorror on - last edited - Viewed by 724 users

First Let Me say Telltale, You are Awesome, Being a huge Jurassic Park Fan You guys Really took me back into the Movies and I really am enjoying it so far. (almost done with Ep.2, no issues so far ether) I tell what I really think of it once I find time to finish.:)

IGN on The other hand...Not so much apparently

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212843p1.html

P.S. It does seem like looking back at the previews that Greg(whom I normally like and agree with) Didn't like the game's direction to begin with which is a shame. Anyway Hat's off to Telltale you did a Good Job.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @caeska said: I'd much rather drill a hole in my head than play a GTA-like Jurassic Park, as that would be more rewarding and much more fun.

That would have worked if we hadn't stopped you.

• @anthoto1 said:

Stop being delusional, JPTH is getting, at best, average scores which, in the videogame industry, means that the game is REALLY disappointing.

I find it more dissapointing that people need opinion of others to find enjoyment in a product. I can't even remember how many amazing games i've played that have received mediocre scores, and how many awful games I've played that received 9+ scores.

• @Drowning witch said: I find it more dissapointing that people need opinion of others to find enjoyment in a product. I can't even remember how many amazing games i've played that have received mediocre scores, and how many awful games I've played that received 9+ scores.

Well that's why a proper review discusses the aspects of the game and opinion is supposed to come secondary. Not start off with opinion and sprinkling it throughout your article. While some points were quite valid, some were not. The point about being able to randomly select objects and dialogue, again, valid...but who the hell does that. No wonder the writer couldn't get immersed into the game. As previously stated, this game was obviously not the reviewer's preferred style of gameplay, but a good writer will not let that shine through their article. The game appeals to a certain demographic and I wouldn't be surprised if the average gamer only rated this around 6. That is why you discuss HOW the game is played, what kind of game it is, what demographic it is intended for and make comparisons in style. THIS is what interested buyers want to read about...not the fact you didn't like it.

The review is just badly done...and it isn't the first time I've seen this from IGN. Their articles can be very amusing and interesting, but their reviews always seem slanted and that isn't professional, it's tabloid journalism.

• @Vainamoinen said: I see that as well. Nonetheless, his most striking point IS the gameplay, where Zeros' comment comes into play:

Yeah, but that's just it, the game is advertised as an "adventure game", a specific genre of game with specific expectations for gameplay and design, and he basically points out several ways JP doesn't live up to these expectations.

• @T002Tyrant said: Let's face it, IGN are a bunch of adolescent 360 playing, closeted men who beat off to space marines in high def.... They'll give a 9/10 to anything that has a man with large muscles sweating and grappling with other men....

PS: Anyone thinking I'm making a serious attempt at discrediting IGN. There should be a switch that says push to close, push it and your brain should be re-attached to your spinal chord.....Remember they'll give 9/10s to things with large breasted women in too, they have to keep up appearances :P

They did give The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a 10/10 and it has neither. ;)

• @caeska said: I would never play a game like that. I'd much rather drill a hole in my head than play a GTA-like Jurassic Park, as that would be more rewarding and much more fun.

So are you telling me you wouldn't love to explore the entire island? Why WOULDN'T anyone like that?

You saying that a GTA-like Jurassic Park is a terrible idea is like saying that hot fudge chocolate sundaes are terrible. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

• While I did find myself enjoying the game, I also have to agree with their criticisms of it. They're certainly valid points.

• @Johro said: The thing with IGN is that their reviews tend to side with hype. GTA 4 got 10/10, same with MGS4 and many other games that people talk high of before they come out(go check out how they rated the titles released this past month too). It's almost like they start rating those games at a 9 and go up and down from there. While both the games I mentioned were fun, neither is in my top 20 of all time. Seriously, GTA4 isnt even my favourite GTA game.

MGS4 is definitely in my top ten best games ever. Actually I just put the entire MGS series at my number 1 spot, it's my favorite series for it's extremely high quality gameplay, constant innovation, and really great story. See? Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it was just a "hyped" up score it didn't deserve. I'm pretty sure the hype has worn off by this point, being several years later, and I still give MGS4 a 10/10.

As for GTAIV, it's hard to argue that game wasn't extremely well made and Rockstar just took it even further with Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar deserves every bit of praise it gets. They consistently put out high quality products.

Listen guys, quit making excuses, if IGN or any other reviewer didn't like Jurassic Park but you did, then just forget about it. You already bought the damn game anyway, why are you reading reviews for crying out loud.

Gamers are far too obsessed with reviews, it's ridiculous really.

• @Booflax said: Gamers are far too obsessed with reviews, it's ridiculous really.

Quoted for truth. Honestly, just try the darn game. I've loved games that others have hated. I've hated games that others have loved. Sonic Unleashed for example. The reviews were good, it sounded promising. After playing through some of it, I would have given it a 5/10 for half the game being good, but the other half boring and not very well thought out.

Add Comment