User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 15.8K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Faceslasher said: I am sad that Nima had to die, she was a cool character, I shed a tear when she was eaten. I wish you could've prevented this.

er...

• @corruptbiggins said: er...

Wait she doesn't die? Oh god, I killed her. I am a sick sick monster.

Thing is, she went for the canister instead of Jesse. I guess you have to kill Billy, get the can, then it's prevented.

• I won't be buying the game. I had already planned on it, as I'm getting a $200 gift card for my bday next week, but I was just so incredibly turned off by the actions of Telltale employees this week on multiple fronts.

Re: the jeep thing, I've read your side of the story and it simply should never have been your course to lawyer up and go through insurance. You should have just taken care of it. You invited the dude to go there and he didn't ask to be paid for the use of the jeep, just have travel expenses covered; you don't dispute this. The couple thousand you lost for a paint job would have been more than worth it in terms of PR. You could have been good guys. Also, who in their right mind transports a custom car on a flatbed trailer anyway?

The metacritic thing is worse, and your "who cares, they used their gamertags" response is the last straw. I seriously hope there are career-altering consequences for the four employees in question. You need to squash this out hard, from the top down. It's not a simple oopsie. It destroys the most valuable resource a developer has: trust from your customers. Companies spend decades trying to build and maintain that trust through quality products, good customer service, and ethical dealings. Succeeding on all THREE of these fronts could have made your lives so much easier; just look at Minecraft. Without them, well, seven-figure ad campaigns can fall flat on their face if they are being played to a distrustful audience.

Anyway, from the lack of respect for customers demonstrated in your collective actions this week, I don't really expect that you care about my opinion in the slightest. But just so you know, I'm one voice who won't be buying from you anytime soon. I, like millions of others, really looked forward to seeing what the "small, underdog developer" had lovingly crafted. I feel shocked at how you've absolutely squandered so much freely-offered goodwill from your potential customers. Do you realize how many small companies would have KILLED to have been in your position? And then you acted like sleazy little lobbyist-like, corporate weasels. Such a waste.

P.S. Protip: you don't blow off review tampering. I'd address it much more seriously ASAP.

• @Faceslasher said: Wait she doesn't die? Oh god, I killed her. I am a sick sick monster.

Thing is, she went for the canister instead of Jesse. I guess you have to kill Billy, get the can, then it's prevented.

No no. You have 2 options. You click one of the keys (Or buttons) to chose Jess or the can. I choose Jess everytime because Nima is badass and doesn't deserve to die. So, when you get two options to pick over can and jess, click the button or whatever next to jess. ^-^ The can (I think) is going to be destroyed either way. I have only tried the way to save jess, so I wouldn't know.

• @Faceslasher said: Wait she doesn't die? Oh god, I killed her. I am a sick sick monster.

When jesse is hanging off the bridge thing and the canister is on the ground PICK TO SAVE JESSE. If you pick to go after the canister, Nima dies.

I think the Nima survives ending is the canon one though, the other is just for fun.

• @mannyguy1 said: When jesse is hanging off the bridge thing and the canister is on the ground PICK TO SAVE JESSE. If you pick to go after the canister, Nima dies.

I think the Nima survives ending is the canon one though, the other is just for fun.

Thanks, I just said this...

• Just finished the game, and I loved it. My brother watched it and loved it too. The ending was great, the characters were nice, the story was terrific.

I didn't get the ending at first, but my brother explained to me (surprisingly) that /spoiler/ the money was Nedrey's that he was suppose to retrieve when he got to the boat, which I don't believe was explained in the game.

Also, I don't remember if it was ever explained what happen to Laura's assistant.

All in all, I really enjoyed the game. It got real intense at some parts, especially the final frontal with Trex. I really want a sequel game.

• I am a hardcore Jurassic Park fan, as well as a hardcore PC gamer.

In my opinion the story was pretty good, I love how they filled in some gaps left by the movie. And OMG its Jurassic Park.

However as a gamer the game was pretty boring. I wish there was more to do than just click microscopes (you don't even need to click them all, many of them are just pointless) and do quick time events. I would have been much happier with more exploration and god forbid move the character around by myself!

• Hey guys, long time lurker her. Finished the game literally five minutes ago, and I wanted to write a review, so here goes:

Tried to keep it as spoiler free as possible, but some might have slipped through, sorry.

Also, I'm going to start with each episode individually, and then at the end go over each element in more detail.

EPISODE 1:
    Thought this episode was great, loved the prologue, and all the dino scenes. Great music (some taken straight from the film) and atmosphere too, really sets an awesome tone for the rest of the game. I thought the scenes with Jess and Gerry were particularly well done, and superbly voice acted. Nice mix of action and exploration overall. Also, there are a couple cool easter eggs to die hard Jurassic Park fans. 9/10.

EPISODE 2:
    My least favorite episode, thought the beginning was a little to slow/talk, however it does pick up rather nicely during the end. The interactions between Nima, Gerry, and Jess are also very good here. The music on the other hand is not up to par. It doesn't feel Jurassic Parky and one song repeats waaaay to much. The gameplay is also almost exclusively exploration (with one sweet exception), which can be kind of boring. 6.5/10.

EPISODE 3:
    This episode more than makes up for episode 2. Awesome beginning, intense middle, and one hell of an ending. All the characters and their interactions are given a lot of development time, and they all remain excellently voice acted. Good music (more from the films). Like the first episode, good mix of action and exploration, and some seriously awesome sequences. 8.5/10.

EPISODE 4:
    The final episode, well done, with a solid beginning, good middle, and an ending that I think raps up the game quite nicely (though an after credits seen would have been very nice *hint hint telltale*). Some truly great moments for each of the characters, and some very nice twists, although some of Dr. Sorkins scenes could have lasted longer. Excellent music (including the missing main theme at precisely the right moment). Again, very nice mix of action and exploration, and a particularly cool scene involving a certain over-sized reptile. (8/10)

Now for the individual elements:

STORY:
    This was my favorite part of the game. A very well written and interesting plot combine with superb pacing and some awesome twists to deliver an exceptional experience. 10/10.

GAMEPLAY:
    Many people are complaining that the gameplay is too simple and simply one long QTE. This maybe true, but if you play this like a game your doing it wrong. Instead treat it as an interactive movie, and you'll have a much better time. The exploration is nice, and lets you get a glimpse into the world of Jurassic Park, the puzzles, while simple, are fun, the action QTE's can get a little annoying (especially the ones where you have to pound a button), but are not game-breaking, and the dialog system is a very nice touch. 8/10.

GRAPHICS:
    Another topic of criticism among gamers. While not great, the graphics are okay, and serve the purpose. The art direction however, is great, and the animations are smooth and realistic. 8/10.

SOUND:
    Very, very well done. New music complements original tunes that, while used sparingly, are just as good as in 1993. Sound effects are good too. 9/10.

CHARACTERS:
    Yet another fantastic element of Jurassic Park: The Game. Characters are well developed, unique, and each have their own problems to deal with. Interaction between them is superb and the voice acting is above top notch. 10/10.

DINOSAURS:
    Almost all the dinosaurs from the first film are present and faithful to their movie version. Classics like T-Rex, Triceratops, Velociraptor, Parasaurolophous, and Dilophosaurus all look and sound perfect. They are alos supplemented by new comers such as Herrarasaurus, Troodon, and Mosasaurus which are nicely done. My only small gripes are that Brachiosaurus, Gallimimus, and Stegosaurus are absent. Also the T-Rex is used a little to much. 8/10.

JURASSIC PARK FEEL:
    The most important part of the game; it has to feel like Jurassic Park. And Telltale pulls it off very skillfully. Locations, dinos, and sounds are very faithful to the films and the game has the same awe inspiring quality as the first movie. 9/10.

OVERALL:
    Jurassic Park: The Game is a very solid game. An excellent story, neat art direction, fun characters, great sound, and of course plenty of dinos all work together to bring Jurassic Park to life. Besides from a few minor gameplay and graphics gripes, Telltale has managed to do what I was at first very skeptical about. Create a very, very good game based on one of my most beloved franchises. I highly recommend this to any JP fan or just someone who just likes a good story with some carnivorous lizards thrown in for good measure. So, to anyone embarking on this adventure 65 million years in the making, I leave you with this: hang onto your butts. 8.5/10.

• Also, why do we have to wait for the post to be approved by a mod?
    EDIT: Nevermind, guess that's just for bigger posts.

Add Comment