User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 17K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @kasaki89 said: are you dumb...it was never meant to be a game

Pssst. The title of the product is called, "Jurassic Park: The Game". It is infact, a game.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@anthoto1 said: What are you smoking ? Were you even born in 1993 ? :eek:

Seriously, I can see that this is the place where opinions necessarily clash, but keep it a little bit more civil. The consumption of psychoactive substances is not necessary to like this game, just a certain preference which others might not share.

• @anthoto1 said: What are you smoking ? Were you even born in 1993 ? :eek:

Hmmm tell me a better game then this game. Which game has characters which you care about? Certainley not the old consoles. Tresspasser was a fighting game and JP:OG was a Zoo Tycoon-Esque game. So yeah please actually anwser like someone with some sense instead of an invalid when I explained my thoughts.

• @jpark_08 said: Pssst. The title of the product is called, "Jurassic Park: The Game". It is infact, a game.

I've been playing videogames for more than twenty years and this is probably the less interactive thing that I've ever tested.

• @Mike55 said: Hmmm tell me a better game then this game. Which game has characters which you care about?

Back in 1993, Jurassic Park games (on NES, SNES or MD) had an actual gameplay that was up to standards. JPTG has none.

• @anthoto1 said: Back in 1993, Jurassic Park games (on NES, SNES or MD) had an actual gameplay that was up to standards. JPTG has none.

1.I've said it before. I'm not an experinced gamer. So what may have been good gaming for me you may not have liked.
    2.What gamplay did YOU want? I'm ok with button mashing but i'm not an experinced gamer.
    3.Yeah JP:TG is up to the standards and is far better then some recent games. Go play MUA2 and come back to me on bad gameplay.

• @jpark_08 said: Characters:

I'm shocked with all the love the characters are getting, not one of them is original or well written. Each one of them is a walking cliche. From the soldier with a troubled past seeking redemption, to the mad scientist or rebellious teen with daddy isssue. It's all very predictable and superficial.
    (It also didn't help that Telltale doesn't define half these characters until the very end of the game.)

Let me stop you right there. Both the characters in the game and the characters in the film are walking cliches. Look at Nedry--fat nerd programmer. Look at Hammond--Andrew Carnegie-esque genial billionaire. Some character developments were cliche (the stern Grant's hardened sensibilities about children are changed when he is thrust into a situation where he has to protect children) and some character developments were even preposterous (suddenly, this kid knows how to manipulate a UNIX system and save the lives of all).

Point being, I think the developers were intentionally trying to hit on the notes of the original film, with its cliche characters and silly triumph-over-the-odds revelations. While you can say that the characters were cliche, you cannot deny the fact that all of the characters in the game were on the island purposefully. While I'm kind of an apologist for the game, I do feel that some of the dialogue was overly campy and grating to hear. But that does not change my opinion of the effectiveness of the game's characters.

This goes to say nothing of the gameplay, which could have been so much more, but alas, the game is released, and there is nothing we as gamers can do about it now, short of complaining, which is an effort in futility. I enjoyed the game for what it was: an interactive Jurassic Park film for fans of the original.

• I confess I skipped your post to avoid spoilers, because I have not finished the game yet, but was looking for a thread where I could give feedback.

I'm enjoying the game so far and I'm a *huge* fan of both Telltale Games and the Jurassic Park franchise, so I've been really looking forward to this.

My main gripe so far is there seems to be a lot of inappropriate button inputs in the QTEs. The best example is where you are staring at the floor looking for tracks and you have to button mash a button. Really? Wouldn't just holding down a button be sufficient for simply looking at the floor?

The parts that require quick reactions and stick movements are great, but pounding one button really fast just feels really lame.

Just an opinion. Love it otherwise.

• @anthoto1 said: Back in 1993, Jurassic Park games (on NES, SNES or MD) had an actual gameplay that was up to standards. JPTG has none.

But what it does have is a story that can stand with the film it was based on. Show me an example of a Jurassic Park video game from the Genesis era that rivaled the 1993 film in a capacity of story, save perhaps Jurassic Park Interactive, which I don't believe I knew anyone at the time who even owned a 3DO.

P.S. The company is called Telltale Games, if that is any indicator of the kinds of products they release.

• okay well it's a bit difficult to come back to the game, but first let's specify I played it on PC with keyboard as the input interface.

I really enjoyed the story, the characters, and found the graphics very nice, of course it's nothing like top notch realistic graphics of some games. But it has a nice design overall, and the dinos are pretty good :).

But well to me the game went a bit wrong, because of many things, first the gameplay is really poor and not very interesting, it's completely driven by the game with almost no freedom.
    The observation you have a mouse but still to be able to click something it has to be on the center of the screen, sounds very much like port from console without any changes to make it more intuitive for mouse/keyboard user.
    Some sequences of buttons, well mainly the one where there is two or three buttons to press are completely insane for some you don't even have a complete second to do two or three buttons, but still you don't know what kind of button combination it is, which make's it impossible, unless replaying the sequence to pass some sequences at first.
    I also got another example where it is wrong where on the scuba part the thing you have to shoot to close the grate appears appears after another symbol, so of course you do the first and then die, and then you know there is another option and can pass it.

So well overall I'm pleased with the story, not going after the pure adaptation as always is really the way to go, it just feels right. Even if they are a bit cliche the characters are nice, and really enjoyed the dinos. But the games you take your inspiration of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain are really much more complex, you're still in control of the character and do take decisions that have an impact on the story, and you can also miss buttons sequence which impact what happens but do not kill you each time you're wrong.

I really hope the games are going to be better for the future, for example the latest Sam & Max season was just really nice, creative story, nice and challenging puzzles. Then was Back to the Future, story was nice but there it started to get much less of a challenge on the puzzle side, and finaly Jurassic Park, which is a no challenge at all, that's really the point that is lacking in the game, that you really don't have any kind of puzzle challenge, so many case you just check everything and okay done, only a couple of puzzles which are really too easy.

Add Comment