User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 18.6K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @paulmccain said: Show me an example of a Jurassic Park video game from the Genesis era that rivaled the 1993 film in a capacity of story

Show me an exemple of a XVIth century vehicle that rivaled Ferrai F458 Italia.

• Also, "best" doesn't mean "good" in any way.

The fact that it's better than 15 years old games doesn't mean that it's any good comapred to any nowaday standard.

When Blade Runner the game was released, it was amazing, on every freakin' level, and it was a somewhat linear adventure game, but with several branching, choices, and multiple endings. It's actually a lot like Heavy Rain and Shadow of Memories, which are both story driven with simple gameplay mechanics. But the key point isn't that they're easy, it's that you have CHOICE. You interact in the world, in the story, with the characters.

You don't just press a button to see what they want you to see no matter what. You don't have anything to do in the game, and the puzzles were so easy they kinda just ask you to "click the two things you see in order".

It's just like BTTF except that, you can't walk.

And BTTF is a disaster. I actually didn't even like the story, they just butchered everything :/ I'm sad they even got MJ Fox to do a cameo for that thing.

Also, can I please remind you, a good story is cool for a game. But if that's the only thing cool about the said "game", and that you have NO way to change anything about it (ok minus the ONE choice about Nima at the final act -_- ), it's not even "interactive", you do not participate. It's more like a video player. There's no choice involved (or so little that it's not worth mentionning).

And I love games like Shadow of Memories, Gabriel Knight 2, Heavy Rain, Deadly Premonitions etc...

Those are games noted for not being mostly story driven, and they all had the player being IN the story. Not just watching what was planned in the order it was planned, as if you were playing videos on windows media player :/ ...

• (Review contains spoilers)

A few minutes ago, Nima, Jess and Gerry Harding made it to the boat and to safety - and I'm sitting here replaying the scenes in my head and forming an opinion as I go.

As a big fan of the Jurassic Park films and books, I'm always pleased and excited when something new is being produced or published. When this game was announced, I followed the production and signed up on the TellTale forums to read up on the progress of the game. Some of the news had me smiling, other bits of information that got out had me worried: though I’m not much of a gamer, word about the game play had me concerned. People complained it would be a “point and click” game, something for kids. Which had me thinking, ‘if this is a children’s game, it might be childish and not live up to the original intend and content of the books and films.’ Which is: messing with nature is a bad idea. And if you are unlucky enough, the consequences of that messing around will be deadly.

That last aspect of the game certainly did not let me down. From the very start of Jurassic Park: The Game, it’s clear that something has gone terribly wrong, and it won’t get better any time soon. If it’s not a group of Dilophosaurs hunting you, a T-Rex might be sneaking up from around the corner. Dr. Sorkin’s little Troodon project has gone terribly wrong as well, with the nocturnal predators out and about tracking our heroes constantly.

And those heroes are developed well enough to care for them. The park’s veterinarian, Gerry Harding, is the lead in this game, who has taken his daughter Jess to Isla Nublar after she got in trouble at home. (As is confirmed during a discussion between the two, Sarah Harding from The Lost World: Jurassic Park is his daughter as well.)
    It’s not long before the two encounter Nima, who has her own reasons to visit the island (aside from retrieving the canister with embryos), and the mercenaries Yoder and Oscar, hired to rescue the remaining survivors. On their way to safety, the group has to pick up Dr. Laura Sorkin and her assistant, David. The latter has become dinosaur food by the time the group makes it to the field laboratory, but Sorkin is still alive and hell bend on staying on the island. What follows is a wild chase and a race against time, during which the characters even find some time to discuss ethics and morals.

For the larger part, the story’s pretty well worked out: it sheds a light on INGEN’s background and Isla Nublar’s history. At the same time, this back-story does not seem consistent with the information we can gather from both the books and the films. INGEN and the Costa Rican government forcing the island’s locals in favor of the park does not seem something John Hammond (at least the film’s character), would approve of. And there’s no indication in any of the books that this happened – if any, in the novel The Lost World it’s established that the Five Deaths were all uninhabited, and Nublar most likely was as well.
    The option of choosing different directions in which to steer conversations, makes it possible to gather more information about the characters and the park.

Both characters and story make for an entertaining game: the game play isn’t hard to follow once you’ve gotten the hang of it. (I have to admit, it took me a while to figure it out and I needed some help from the boards before I got into playing mode properly.) It’s good to see that the Dilophosaurus, which we only see once in the film series while they do make for formidable foes, get proper treatment in this game. The Velociraptors presence had me puzzled (the game takes place after the original three have been killed and locked up in the first film), but Dr. Sorkin’s journal solves that mystery as well. They are not overused, but do pose a serious threat during the time they are seen and confronted in the game.
    Our old friend (or nemesis, if you wish) T-Rex is, of course, present as well. She gets a good amount of time to do some serious damage, but shares her screen time with the three newcomers: Herrerasaurus, a pack of Troodons and a Mosasaurus.
    The Troodons are the real danger in this game, with venomous bites, night vision and a nasty way of building a nest (which I will not reveal here – but it would fit into a horror film.) They do look somewhat like the Raptors, but are smaller and nastier creatures: their poison paralyzes and gives the person or animal bitten a hard time being delusional before death finally sets in.

The Herrerasaurs reminded me of the Raptors, a bit bigger and lumpier, but in this game they serve as filler, only appearing once and shortly during the roller coaster ride.

The Mosasaurus is the biggest and most refreshing newcomer when it comes to the prehistoric predators. Almost as big as a Tyrannosaurus, this swimming creature causes the main characters a lot of trouble when they get locked up in the underwater observatory. Sadly, the chapter featuring it is rather short – but perhaps it will return after Dr. Sorkin opened the waterways from the exhibit into the open ocean.

Sadly, the herbivores are limited to encounters with the Triceratops and the Parasaurolophus. A missed opportunity, it seems, as many fans are fond of the Brachiosaurus, the Gallimimus and the Stegosaurus (featured in the book and sequel film, The Lost World: Jurassic Park) and there certainly would have been room for them in the game. On the plus side, we do get to see a lot of familiar locations, among them Nedry’s car (and his body!) and the Visitor’s Center.

The biggest nuisance this game offers is the relatively long video fragments of the characters talking and debating, during which the player can only watch and listen. But, more often than not, these talks will be followed directly by a relentless action scene, demanding you to punch buttons like a maniac. When not prepared because of looking away for a moment to pick up a drink or snack from the table, you could be killed in seconds.

Another problem I had with the game was the amount of time Jess got to talk: I’m not against the presence children in the Jurassic Park films or games, in fact they are an integral part of many of the storylines, but Jess was more annoying than Eric Kirby from Jurassic Park III: trying to smoke, stealing, lying, being obnoxious and calling everything she could not properly name “thingy”. Another missed opportunity was her ability to speak Spanish: instead of making her fail at it, she could have bonded with Nima much easier due to the shared knowledge and mastering of the language.

All in all, it’s an entertaining game which features a lot of dinosaur action and allows us to return to Isla Nublar and explore it. I’m not certain yet if I would call the events in this game “canon” in regard of the film(s), but it certainly is a nice and worthy addition to Jurassic Park’s alternative universe.

• The game had a good story, and a bad everything else!

• now if they made another jpog game you guys would probably love it wouldnt you, the last posts ive been posting around here, of how it would be like, then you guys wouldnt complain now would you

• @bloodkiller630 said: now if they made another jpog game you guys would probably love it wouldnt you, the last posts ive been posting around here, of how it would be like, then you guys wouldnt complain now would you

Personally even though a lot of people are against it (Since it's never about guns and shooting the dinosaurs), I'd love to see a L4D-style type of versus for Jurassic Park than another JP:OG. Although that game was fun for a little while it just ended up getting repetitive and once you 5 star there's nothing else to do.

• @Asian Inferno said: Personally even though a lot of people are against it (Since it's never about guns and shooting the dinosaurs), I'd love to see a L4D-style type of versus for Jurassic Park than another JP:OG. Although that game was fun for a little while it just ended up getting repetitive and once you 5 star there's nothing else to do.

thats what mods are for, go to google and type in modding genesis, there are a bunch of mods you can install to your game to make it better, like the graphics for one, different colored skins, right now on my jpog, i have the actual skins from jurassic park, jurassic park the lost world female and male, jurassic park 3 skins, you can mod and everything, but dont tell me how, just look on youtube or something?

• It seems like Telltale should have made this an animated film and just released it on DVD than a game for most people.I would be happy either way (with it being a game or a film) because the story is great and that's all I care about.

• @_Veritas_ said: It seems like Telltale should have made this an animated film and just released it on DVD than a game for most people.I would be happy either way (with it being a game or a film) because the story is great and that's all I care about.

But then it wouldn't be a bad game, but the worst looking animated movie ever.

You now understand why they called it "a game".

Add Comment