User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 9.4K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

431 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Strayth said: But then it wouldn't be a bad game, but the worst looking animated movie ever.

You now understand why they called it "a game".

You must be great at parties. *rolls eyes*

• Telltale, after careful consideration, I've decided not to endorse your product.

• I believe that Jurassic Park is very close to being a good game. It's not quite there yet, and it's certainly not a bad game. I liked it, though, which can only be good, but it is a mixed bag. Here are my thoughts.

The Good:
    Gameplay*: I have to admit when I first heard a lot of the gameplay was going to be QTE based I was quite worried but thankfully the different inputs are varied enough that it keeps you on your toes and doesn't get stale. It feels a lot more like Elite Beat Agents then say the later Resident Evil or Broken Sword games, and that's a good thing. Many criticised BttF (myself included) for being nothing more than an interactive movie, Jurassic Park is also an interactive movie but the key difference is it is actually interactive. Where BttF babied you through puzzles (more on JP's puzzles in The Bad) and had you do nothing else but watch cutscenes, JP actually gives you something to do during the cutscenes, and it really works well to add tension and suspense to the action sequences. Though they can still be improved (more on that later), the QTE based gameplay was a win with this gamer.
    The characters: I felt the characters were very well written and believable. The core cast was very strong and like in any good horror story I even liked some of the characters that were obviously not going to make it. I'll just say a brief word on the story while I'm at it: it gets better as it goes along. It started off OK but by around the third episode I really got sucked into it.
    Episode length: I was really happy with the length of each episode, they were very meaty and four episodes felt just right. I kept thinking they were about to end but they kept going, which was nice.

The Bad:
    Gameplay: OK, so I was fine with the QTE's, though they can be improved, but what made them work was the balance. There was the action scenes, the puzzle scenes and the dialogue scenes. The other scenes were essential because if the game was all action you'd get over it quick. It's all about balancing the excitement and retardation of story structure. However, the problem wasn't the balance, it was that the other elements were lacking. Well, the dialogue was fine so I'll give those scenes a pass, which brings me to...
    Puzzles: Sadly, Telltale's new-found commitment to patronising the player is still in full swing. The hints in this game were excruciating. I was constantly being told by the game how to solve puzzles even before I had began them, before I even had the chance to think for myself. The puzzles weren't even that hard in the first place but having hints forced upon me actually made me angry. Everytime that little speech button or movement button jumped up and down and made noises at me to click it in the middle of a scene, or a player character said out loud how to solve a puzzle I died a little inside. You can get away with that stuff in a tutorial but when it is still happening even in the final episode there is a serious lack of respect of the players abilities. We have brains, Telltale, please let us use them. I don't even mind when a game has hints, as long as they are OPTIONAL. If this were an adventure game it would be a complete fail, and those who are classifying it as an adventure game seem to be the people who are the most upset. This is not an adventure game, and I don't think it is pretending to be. This is something new; I'm OK with that. But you are still giving us puzzles and you are still holding our hands right to the very end whether we like it or not. The QTE's work because they challenge us, the puzzles fail because they don't.
    Bugs: I'll save the details for the appropriate threads, I'll just say that yes, there were bugs, and yes, they did distract from the experience.

Things That Can Be Improved:
    Gameplay: For the puzzles: remove the hints. For the QTE's: I think the icons for the different kinds of QTE's needed to be bolder and more obvious. When it came to the sneaking, time based QTE's I always stuffed the first one up because I didn't recognise what the input was at a glance, I just saw the arrow and clicked. I know they have a large green circle around them but a lot of the inputs use green circles, maybe change up the colours depending on what input you are asking for. Say if you have a time based QTE use a red circle, for a rapid-butting press QTE use a blue circle. Making sure the player can easily differentiate between the different actions is crucial and this is something that needs more work.
    Episodic format: This is a personal one. I feel it was a missed opportunity releasing all the episodes at once rather than one at a time. The game was clearly designed to be episodic; the cliffhangers were good and honestly, I miss the speculation between episode releases. That was part of the fun of episodic games, but I guess what's done is done.
    Too much T-rex: He reminded me of Spinosaurus in JP III, seemingly chasing down the tiny, bite-sized survivors over every corner of the island over the entire course of the story despite having plenty of bigger, better things to eat. The other predators: the Raptors, the Dilos and the Troodons were handled just right, they all had their moment in the sun so to speak but old rexy was terribly overused. I know she is the centrepiece of the franchise but she would have been far more effective if used more sparingly.
    Difficulty: This is a game that NEEDED to have a difficulty setting! I'm not saying the QTE's are too easy, though a lot of people are saying they can get though the game by bashing the keypad so there's that, but there should be a mode that caters to the inexperienced gamer and at least one mode that that contains NO hints for puzzles and is less forgiving. It's the only way to make everyone happy.

In closing, I came into this game with an open mind and while it definitely has its faults, at the end of the day there is a lot to like. Heck, it's so close to being a good game they could probably reach that plateau with a comprehensive patch. I see enough potential here that if Telltale were to make another JP game I would almost certainly buy it, though I really hope that they learn from some of their mistakes. This game was a gamble for them, it's like nothing else they've made before, and I for one am all for experimenting. It's not giving you a high grade, Telltale, but I'm not giving you a fail either.

*Before you flame me for putting gameplay under the good please note that I've put it under every heading. I believe there are good and bad aspects to the gameplay and I also believe that it can be greatly improved.

• @Woodsyblue said: I believe that Jurassic Park is very close to being a good game. It's not quite there yet, and it's certainly not a bad game. I liked it, though, which can only be good, but it is a mixed bag. Here are my thoughts.

The Good:
    Gameplay*: I have to admit when I first heard a lot of the gameplay was going to be QTE based I was quite worried but thankfully the different inputs are varied enough that it keeps you on your toes and doesn't get stale. It feels a lot more like Elite Beat Agents then say the later Resident Evil or Broken Sword games, and that's a good thing. Many criticised BttF (myself included) for being nothing more than an interactive movie, Jurassic Park is also an interactive movie but the key difference is it is actually interactive. Where BttF babied you through puzzles (more on JP's puzzles in The Bad) and had you do nothing else but watch cutscenes, JP actually gives you something to do during the cutscenes, and it really works well to add tension and suspense to the action sequences. Though they can still be improved (more on that later), the QTE based gameplay was a win with this gamer.
    The characters: I felt the characters were very well written and believable. The core cast was very strong and like in any good horror story I even liked some of the characters that were obviously not going to make it. I'll just say a brief word on the story while I'm at it: it gets better as it goes along. It started off OK but by around the third episode I really got sucked into it.
    Episode length: I was really happy with the length of each episode, they were very meaty and four episodes felt just right. I kept thinking they were about to end but they kept going, which was nice.

The Bad:
    Gameplay: OK, so I was fine with the QTE's, though they can be improved, but what made them work was the balance. There was the action scenes, the puzzle scenes and the dialogue scenes. The other scenes were essential because if the game was all action you'd get over it quick. It's all about balancing the excitement and retardation of story structure. However, the problem wasn't the balance, it was that the other elements were lacking. Well, the dialogue was fine so I'll give those scenes a pass, which brings me to...
    Puzzles: Sadly, Telltale's new-found commitment to patronising the player is still in full swing. The hints in this game were excruciating. I was constantly being told by the game how to solve puzzles even before I had began them, before I even had the chance to think for myself. The puzzles weren't even that hard in the first place but having hints forced upon me actually made me angry. Everytime that little speech button or movement button jumped up and down and made noises at me to click it in the middle of a scene, or a player character said out loud how to solve a puzzle I died a little inside. You can get away with that stuff in a tutorial but when it is still happening even in the final episode there is a serious lack of respect of the players abilities. We have brains, Telltale, please let us use them. I don't even mind when a game has hints, as long as they are OPTIONAL. If this were an adventure game it would be a complete fail, and those who are classifying it as an adventure game seem to be the people who are the most upset. This is not an adventure game, and I don't think it is pretending to be. This is something new; I'm OK with that. But you are still giving us puzzles and you are still holding our hands right to the very end whether we like it or not. The QTE's work because they challenge us, the puzzles fail because they don't.
    Bugs: I'll save the details for the appropriate threads, I'll just say that yes, there were bugs, and yes, they did distract from the experience.

Things That Can Be Improved:
    Gameplay: For the puzzles: remove the hints. For the QTE's: I think the icons for the different kinds of QTE's needed to be bolder and more obvious. When it came to the sneaking, time based QTE's I always stuffed the first one up because I didn't recognise what the input was at a glance, I just saw the arrow and clicked. I know they have a large green circle around them but a lot of the inputs use green circles, maybe change up the colours depending on what input you are asking for. Say if you have a time based QTE use a red circle, for a rapid-butting press QTE use a blue circle. Making sure the player can easily differentiate between the different actions is crucial and this is something that needs more work.
    Episodic format: This is a personal one. I feel it was a missed opportunity releasing all the episodes at once rather than one at a time. The game was clearly designed to be episodic; the cliffhangers were good and honestly, I miss the speculation between episode releases. That was part of the fun of episodic games, but I guess what's done is done.
    Too much T-rex: He reminded me of Spinosaurus in JP III, seemingly chasing down the tiny, bite-sized survivors over every corner of the island over the entire course of the story despite having plenty of bigger, better things to eat. The other predators: the Raptors, the Dilos and the Troodons were handled just right, they all had their moment in the sun so to speak but old rexy was terribly overused. I know she is the centrepiece of the franchise but she would have been far more effective if used more sparingly.
    Difficulty: This is a game that NEEDED to have a difficulty setting! I'm not saying the QTE's are too easy, though a lot of people are saying they can get though the game by bashing the keypad so there's that, but there should be a mode that caters to the inexperienced gamer and at least one mode that that contains NO hints for puzzles and is less forgiving. It's the only way to make everyone happy.

In closing, I came into this game with an open mind and while it definitely has its faults, at the end of the day there is a lot to like. Heck, it's so close to being a good game they could probably reach that plateau with a comprehensive patch. I see enough potential here that if Telltale were to make another JP game I would almost certainly buy it, though I hope that they learn from some of their mistakes. This game was a gamble for them, it's like nothing else they've made before, and I for one am all for experimenting. It's not a high grade, Telltale, but it's not a fail either.

*Before you flame me for putting gameplay under the good please note that I've put it under every heading. I believe there are good and bad aspects to the gameplay and I also believe that it can be greatly improved.

i agree with you, they need some improvements, but the game is still good in one way and bad in the next, hell in mw3 or black ops or something, you guys find a glitch, you would be happy, if there was a glitch to a deleted scene on this game everyone would be happy, a secrete area or something lol, but its just the usual glitches that they could improve on, also just realizing for the 6th or 7th time beating it, its already starting too get boring, some new episodes with few mistakes, and did a lot better than these episodes would be nice lol i enjoyed it, but dont think i can play it the 8th time, even though i started a new game already mines well beat it, got all gold medals already, some parts were a little tricky, but yeah more episodes so it dont get boring, and fix it before releasing them so people will be happy and not dissapointed:rolleyes:

• i like the threads before the game came out, back then the threads haven't tried too eat me yet

• (this is a review of the xbox 360 disc retail version of the game)

When Jurassic Park the Game was first announced in 2010, i was so excited. As a huge JP fan (of the two novels and the film series) this was a dream come true. seeing screen caps in an issue of game informer, i nearly crapped my pants. I counted down the days till the game was released. as the days kept getting nearer, i started reading previews of the game. I've never played a Telltale Game so hearing that the gameplay was a basic point and click adventure type game, i was slightly disappointed. But i didn't give up on the game. seeing some gameplay video's had me worried about graphical aspects of the game, i hate to say it, but graphics are big thing for me (i know, sad. but i like when things look smooth and detailed, thats why i loved the original JP movies, the dinosaurs looked real), but i never game up on the game. I was the only one at my Gamestop who pre-ordered Jurassic Park. I was faithful even in the end. I was still excited for this game. I'm nearly done with my first play through (I would have beaten it earlier, but i've had other games i've been playing) and I'm overall happy with my purchase, but i do have my complaints.

Gameplay wise, like i stated before, i've never played a TTG before, so the experience was new to me. The QTE scenes i found to be exhilarating and sometimes it was a bit frustrating, But i've never gotten so frustrated that i threw the controller down. during QTE sequences, i was always on the edge of my seat and it was a thrill! Even when i did mess up a combination or missed a button, i was blessed with a gruesome death scene (no blood which was a slight disappointment, but no big deal) The investigation sequences were interesting, most of them felt forced and unnecessary because you would look at everything and most of the "clues" let no where and you had to find a certain one. I didn't take away from the game, it just felt a little forced in some moments. the investigation scene where you are looking for the can of embryos was fun and i enjoyed that! But I enjoyed most investigation scenes. The conversation scenes was in the same level with the investigation scenes, some where interesting and lead you wanted more, but some felt forced and unnecessary. I would get slightly annoyed when i thought a conversation was going in the right direction, but they they shoot you down and you have to start over (trying to convince the doctor to leave the island as billy), like i said before, i didn't turn me off the game though, just slightly annoyed at times.

Okay, like i said before, graphics are a big deal to me in a game, but i understand certain game companies are under budget and most of the time i can look past the graphics. But sometimes certain things are hard to look past. JP had its good and its God awful moments. Character's facials features when zoomed in and focusing on their emotions were really good, but at times their movements where awkward and clunky. The environment was the same, certain distance shots looked really cool, but a lot of the time it felt out dated and could have been touched up. The only shining force when it comes to graphics where the Dinosaurs, each of the T-rex scenes felt as if it was coming straight from the film. The raptor scenes were also really good. the scar on the Raptors eye didn't look to great, but it was a good trait to add to one of the raptors, i loved the blind eye. So the dinosaurs were the thing that made me not hate the graphics.

I'd have to say that the sound was one of the best things about the game (aside from the story). all the sounds and the score was recycled from the film and i think that was the right move. It was nostalgia overload when at the main menu the T-rex walks into the shot and roars, every time i start up the game, i wait until i hear the roar before i load my save. The music in the scenes are brilliant and meshes with the films continuity and makes me feel right at home. The dinosaurs sound amazing! using all the sounds and tracks from the film was the best move TTG did for this project.

The story was also amazing as well. It was good to go back to the frozen embryos and showing what was the fate of the island after the first film. I enjoyed most of the characters (with the exception of Jess) but the new cast of characters was a breathe of fresh air. I don't want to put any spoilers so i won't go in-depth with the story, but i loved it. My favorite episode would have to be episode 1 because i felt most like the film. But each episode was as good as the rest. I also loved how they brought out the darker/greedy side of Hammond as he was in the novel. i think they story was one of the games strongest assets.

Overall, the game has its problems, but every game does. I enjoyed this game and i am going to attempt to get all the achievements. I am also hoping that there is going to be a sequel to the game. I would recommend this game to fans of the series.

Gameplay - 8.2
    Graphics - 7.1
    Sound - 10.0
    Story - 9.4

(sorry for any spelling or grammar errors. hahaha i'll proof read it later)

• I knew the game would get mixed reviews. First, they were making games based on two popular movie franchises, with new story lines. So, if the stories aren't up to snuff with the original movie's stories then they are automatically considered bad by fans. That was the first risky move. Making games based on popular franchises.

Second, they were trying new things. If they don't make their games the same way they always have, then they are considered bad by telltale fans.

Personally, I enjoyed BTTFTG and JPTG. I thought they were a fresh try from Telltale. Yeah, they might have been more like interactive stories than adventure games, but I thought the solutions to the situations were on par with the way the movies played out. Survival and action for JP, and trickery for BTTF.

As for the stories themselves, I thought they were enjoyable. They may have been a little odd at times, and had TOO much of a Telltale feel for some of the jokes. But overall, I thought they fit in well with the movies.

@Asian Inferno said: Personally even though a lot of people are against it (Since it's never about guns and shooting the dinosaurs), I'd love to see a L4D-style type of versus for Jurassic Park than another JP:OG. Although that game was fun for a little while it just ended up getting repetitive and once you 5 star there's nothing else to do.

Also, I greatly second this. That would be better than L4D I think.

• This game reminds me of something called Daedalus Encounter from 1995 which was first of the "interactive movies", back from the days FMV games were hot. Or not. ;)

There is absolutely nothing to do in this game. I loved chapter 1 though. It's like watching a film. I'm yet to finish chap 3&4, but I wish TellTale would have made a classic adventure game out of this, maybe a simpler one, but still. In adventure games you could even do something yourself. If you're not a huge fan of JP, this will give you nothing. :(

• I'm sorry but why would a sandbox or a First/Third person JP game necessarily be a regular shooter ? Why would it be possible for such a game to offer a good balance between action sequences and puzzles ?

Add Comment