User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: It's not about disagreeing and it's not about being related to Telltale, Anakin. You're being overly insulting to another human being.

What did you say earlier in this thread about backseat moderators, Brandon? ;)

Just ribbing. Actually, I think self-moderation - both in the sense of choosing your own words well and of regular members speaking up when someone crosses the line - is great, and "moderator" is hardly an insult. So good on you for saying the above. I was curious, though, why you thought it was "wrong" when I did it. Well, never mind.

What both of us were doing was point out that someone was behaving in a way that tried to demean another human being.* I think it is fair to say that only bullies or trolls disregard it when this is pointed out to them, whether offline or online.

Happy to see many lending their voices to the maintenance of a friendlier forum. :)

* Of course no one can actually demean anyone else, only themselves.

• It occurs to me that this thread (nay, the subject of TSL in general) has descended into one big argument between the developers at POS and the disappointed fans.

I understand that a developer of a product that they have worked so hard on is want to defend their work. Okay. I get it. The fact of the matter is that (no matter what Roberta said after having only played ep.1) TSL feels nothing like a King's Quest game should. To enumerate them all would be time-consuming, and you would only immediately jump to the defense of your product anyway, thus doing so is therefore moot.

And don't you dare tell me that I can't be emotionally invested in a "work of entertainment." By rights then, no one should give a flying crap about any work of art or literature delivered on any medium whatsoever.

For myself, I maintain that I will never tell anyone I know in real life about TSL, and if they have heard about it I will discourage them from playing it.

• @Chyron8472 said: The fact of the matter is that (no matter what Roberta said after having only played ep.1) TSL feels nothing like a King's Quest game should.

I'd say that's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned, TSL feels a *tiny* bit like a King's Quest game should. Not a whole lot, but a little more than MOE. :P

@Chyron8472 said: And don't you dare tell me that I can't be emotionally invested in a "work of entertainment."

If this was directed at me, of COURSE you should feel emotionally invested in a story, game, or movie. But there's a huge difference between emotional investment, and claiming you were personally betrayed by something that just doesn't appeal to you.

That said, I'm in no rush to play the next chapter. I found plenty to enjoy in the previous chapters and I thought the story twists were fairly compelling, but the games have been incredibly flawed, and installing in CrossOver has just been a hassle. :P

• @doggans said: I'd say that's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned, TSL feels a *tiny* bit like a King's Quest game should. Not a whole lot, but a little more than MOE. :P

Lol...I'd agree with that. ;) It at least has the interface and surface appearance of a KQ game.

• @doggans said: I'd say that's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned, TSL feels a *tiny* bit like a King's Quest game should. Not a whole lot, but a little more than MOE. :P

Okay, okay. You got me there.

• @der_ketzer said: Oh god this crap is reproduceable. Every time I go to this place my game gets screwed.

This looks like what happened to me when I tried to play episode 2 in WINE on a Mac. Faces painted with wood, buildings painted with sky. If you ever figure out how to fix it, let me know.

While episode 1 bored the hell out of me, from the conversations here it seems that subsequent installments get a lot more, uh, "interesting", for better or worse -- I'd like to decide for myself if I could it get it to work right.

• Thom (and others) check out our Tech Forum--there are a lot of already resolved issues that may help you, and Weldon (aka wilco64256) is good about getting people helped out quickly & efficiently.

• The only two people I see consistently bashing TSL whenever someone even mentions something that could be maybe construed as being in the context of TSL are Lamb and Anakin. We get it, guys. You don't like the game. It's just old and annoying to see you post about it over and over. Nobody else seems to really enjoy it or think it's funny or witty so the only people you're doing it for, it appears, are yourselves. Seriously, I know it's the internet, but grow up a bit.

• @KatieHal said: Thom (and others) check out our Tech Forum--there are a lot of already resolved issues that may help you, and Weldon (aka wilco64256) is good about getting people helped out quickly & efficiently.

Thanks, I had seen that info but nothing worked with the Episode 3 download. Fortunately, whether it was changes in the game build or updates to wine, I now have the Episode 4 bundle running fairly well.

I completed the second and started the third episodes, and I'm delighted to find they feature real adventuring and puzzles! :) There are any number of aspects so far I would regard as quite King's Quest-y. While I'm enjoying it overall, at the same time I find much to agree with in the critiques offered by Lamb and Anakin. Maybe I'll say more about that when I've completed Episode 4.

@KatieHal said: It's just old and annoying to see you post about it over and over. Nobody else seems to really enjoy it or think it's funny or witty so the only people you're doing it for, it appears, are yourselves. Seriously, I know it's the internet, but grow up a bit.

It seems to me that if it's acceptable for an outside game developer to come to the forum and start a new thread announcing release of their game, then it should be acceptable for the forum participants to express their opinions on it in that thread (as you did) regardless of whether they've expressed the same opinions elsewhere. You might consider that not everybody reads the same threads you do...

• Sure, absolutely, but you have to draw the line somewhere reasonably. Any sane person could look and see that hardly any of Lamb's or Anakin's posts are constructive and are basically just offensive.

Add Comment