User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 16.9K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hello,

Excuse my English translator, but I'm a bit lazy in this language and I have a question related to this game.

Google Looking for some websites commented that the game would have to be translated into Spanish, I wonder if it is available in that language and if they are only the subtitles or dubbing, or not at all in Spanish.

Thank you very much.
    Pasku.

• @Strayth said: But then it wouldn't be a bad game, but the worst looking animated movie ever.

I doubt that, really. Half the dinosaurs looked better than shit that SyFy pumps out.

• I'm a bit on the fence about this game. There was some great aspects to it - at times I got caught up in the action and tension, the storyline occasionally dragged but not terribly so.

There were some quiet times in the game, and a few crammed attempts at character building... and suddenly, I'd forget that I was meant to be mashing buttons. The gameplay was pretty terrible.

I struggle to call it a game, really. There's no replay value in it, and I didn't even feel inclined to go and retry for gold achievements - the game hangs when I try to load them, and it doesn't change anything if you get them. It just means your timing for hitting a button is slightly better.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but does anyone else remember what Harding looked like in Jurassic Park? He was the vet hanging around the Triceratops. This guy. Bit of a difference.
    http://jplegacy.org/costuming/costumes/Harding2.png

It makes me worry a bit about the Walking Dead game Telltale are developing (apparently, last I heard, still to be released in 2011...).

• this thread just never stops does it?

• @RaventheBlack said: I see no one has responded with my 2 most important comments that
    1-It didnt have the feel of jurassic park
    and
    2-That T-Rex seriously eats too much

I agree with you on both points. While the game did have great homages to the movies, it just didn't have the same feel. I think the characters are partly to blame. Having one or two characters return from the movies would have helped greatly.

I also had issues with how Telltale handled the dinosaurs, they were nothing more than monsters. Example- A pteradon drop kicks a helicopter, and a T-rex hurls shrapnel with its mouth etc. It's ridiculous and almost insulting. The game goes for cheap thrills and contains no 'wonder' moments that we've come to expect with the Jurassic Park films.

• @jpark_08 said: I agree with you on both points. While the game did have great homages to the movies, it just didn't have the same feel. I think the characters are partly to blame. Having one or two characters return from the movies would have helped greatly.

I also had issues with how Telltale handled the dinosaurs, they were nothing more than monsters. Example- A pteradon drop kicks a helicopter, and a T-rex hurls shrapnel with its mouth etc. It's ridiculous and almost insulting. The game goes for cheap thrills and contains no 'wonder' moments that we've come to expect with the Jurassic Park films.

To the first point, it absolutely felt like Jurassic Park and second the T-Rex is always hungry because he only got feed goats like three times a day. It's really more of an opportunist because every chance it had to eat, it ate both in the movies and the game.

To the second I refer to the Trike and Para scenes, also the Pteradon intro. All harken back to the water hole/brach scene from the first movie. Because the game contained mostly carnivores, it stays in line with the movies as there are rarely if any "wonder" scenes for T-Rex, Raptors, etc.

Plus the game showed a strong story WITHOUT any returning main characters. It was never necessary in the first place.

• @jpark_08 said: I agree with you on both points. While the game did have great homages to the movies, it just didn't have the same feel. I think the characters are partly to blame. Having one or two characters return from the movies would have helped greatly.

I fully agree with what you say on the dinosaurs,it was somewhat insulting watching a video of telltale members showing them sit down and supposdly educated on animal behavior when in fact aside from the triceratops the rest were just man-eating monsters.

Now just to point this out to everyone just how unrealstic were talking about here a T-Rex has a certain stomach size but a certain amount of calories it burns,normally in theory a T-Rex like most predators would not eat constantly it would have one big meal every so few days,this one in the movie whom i named pac-man has eaten the following in just 2 days:
    1-! full sized goat minus a leg
    2-The blood sucking lawyer sitting on the toilet
    3-One Galimimus(i may have spelled that wrong but its the fast dinosaur)
    4-Indicated by the videogame and the broken off triceratops horn its possible he ate the triceratops
    5-He ate 2 full sized raptors in the visitors center both of which are pretty big
    6-He Ate several more raptors in the videogame
    7-he ate the army dude at the end of the videogame

Now im not sure how many lbs and calories between all of that is,but in a 2 or even 3 day period based on its size theres no way any full grown T-Rex can eat that much,thats well over a ton or 2 worth of meat,that T-Rex would be having constant stomach cramps and missing in action to take its dinosaur dump every hour for an hour

Now as for the charectors,the only ones that felt like they were game worthy was the dad and daughter as well as the guy who was killed by the dilophosaurus and finally dr sorkin,the rest kinda felt outta place

I only got to pet a triceratops for 2 mins before everything else tries to eat me,so much for the hands on dinosaur joy

and again i know people are gonna hark about what i say,but all in all im a gamer and i just have a certain standard.(and no i rarely play shooting games,so please dont mention anything about it)

• And in The Lost World they were off hunting (albeit something unseen,) hence leaving the baby alone, they eat Eddie Carr, a dog, at least one human if not more in San Diego. Then dong get me started on spino. Two people, killed a rex (which should last at least two days,) and still hunting? Yeah...

I get what people are trying to say, and I agree that it's unrealistic. But the consumption rate of these animals (the large predators of JP) in all the films has been unrealistic.

• nima does say they keep eating.

• Story was there, and there were some exciting and unexpected twists. Thoroughly enjoyed the amount of death in the game, and taking on the dinos one-on-one, which is new for JP games and Telltale too. But it's a very sloppy game, with poor controls and sometimes some ugly, ugly graphics. I did however appreciate the attention to detail, regarding canon and the overall look and feel of Jurassic Park in the movies/books. 3/5

If there is a sequel, they need to make it a real game, as opposed to an interactive video.

Add Comment