User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 9.6K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

431 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RaventheBlack said: I fully agree with what you say on the dinosaurs,it was somewhat insulting watching a video of telltale members showing them sit down and supposdly educated on animal behavior when in fact aside from the triceratops the rest were just man-eating monsters.

Now just to point this out to everyone just how unrealstic were talking about here a T-Rex has a certain stomach size but a certain amount of calories it burns,normally in theory a T-Rex like most predators would not eat constantly it would have one big meal every so few days,this one in the movie whom i named pac-man has eaten the following in just 2 days:
    1-! full sized goat minus a leg
    2-The blood sucking lawyer sitting on the toilet
    3-One Galimimus(i may have spelled that wrong but its the fast dinosaur)
    4-Indicated by the videogame and the broken off triceratops horn its possible he ate the triceratops
    5-He ate 2 full sized raptors in the visitors center both of which are pretty big
    6-He Ate several more raptors in the videogame
    7-he ate the army dude at the end of the videogame

Now im not sure how many lbs and calories between all of that is,but in a 2 or even 3 day period based on its size theres no way any full grown T-Rex can eat that much,thats well over a ton or 2 worth of meat,that T-Rex would be having constant stomach cramps and missing in action to take its dinosaur dump every hour for an hour

Now as for the charectors,the only ones that felt like they were game worthy was the dad and daughter as well as the guy who was killed by the dilophosaurus and finally dr sorkin,the rest kinda felt outta place

I only got to pet a triceratops for 2 mins before everything else tries to eat me,so much for the hands on dinosaur joy

and again i know people are gonna hark about what i say,but all in all im a gamer and i just have a certain standard.(and no i rarely play shooting games,so please dont mention anything about it)

Even in the movie though the t-rex keeps eating. You think that a goat, a lawyer, and a gallimimus would be enough fill for the day, but no he goes after more food in the form of the raptors.

According to the game however before hunting the raptors in the visitors center he tries to take down a triceratops, but fails. The trike loses its horn, but he didn't successfully hunt it. Its pretty obvious that the trike survived…no corpse anywhere. In the commentary telltale even says they wanted to include the Trike sans horn later.

I do agree about not having enough "dinosaur wonder" scenes. They didn't have enough hervivores in my opinion either.

But I think the T-rex hunger could be easily argued.

• I think she was just enjoying being able to run around outside her enclosure and being able to hunt a bit. :)

• @mannyguy1 said: Even in the movie though the t-rex keeps eating. You think that a goat, a lawyer, and a gallimimus would be enough fill for the day, but no he goes after more food in the form of the raptors.

According to the game however before hunting the raptors in the visitors center he tries to take down a triceratops, but fails. The trike loses its horn, but he didn't successfully hunt it. Its pretty obvious that the trike survived…no corpse anywhere. In the commentary telltale even says they wanted to include the Trike sans horn later.

I do agree about not having enough "dinosaur wonder" scenes. They didn't have enough hervivores in my opinion either.

But I think the T-rex hunger could be easily argued.

I'm serious when i say if that T-Rex eats that much he would have eaten everything off the island in 1 month,theres no stopping pacman and his lust for hunger,and its not only that im starting to also question how he manages to get around so much on that island in such a fast time despite him being so full.

Your right about not having enough herbivores in fact i think there was only 2,the triceratops and the ones with dr sorkin.

The T-Rex however may have eaten the helicopter pilot since he was in that area,all that metal and clothing cant be good on his stomach

And again i have to mention how it seemed the Troodon seemed like the dominant predator,they looked slim with big eyes O___O,i dont truly beleive ror a second a whole heard of dilophosaurus would run from just 1,and i know for a fact the raptors would tear those things to shreds

More curiously is how far away the quaratine pens on the island is yet they managed to get to the dilophosaurus area which is on the other side of the island in just a mere hour or so which is nearly 40 or 60 miles,uh yeah someone was not doing their math...

• @_Veritas_ said: And in The Lost World they were off hunting (albeit something unseen,) hence leaving the baby alone, they eat Eddie Carr, a dog, at least one human if not more in San Diego. Then dong get me started on spino. Two people, killed a rex (which should last at least two days,) and still hunting? Yeah...

I get what people are trying to say, and I agree that it's unrealistic. But the consumption rate of these animals (the large predators of JP) in all the films has been unrealistic.

At least in the lost world after they eat eddie carr at some point Roland mentions they wont be hungry for awhile,which was true

• @RaventheBlack said: I'm serious when i say if that T-Rex eats that much he would have eaten everything off the island in 1 month,theres no stopping pacman and his lust for hunger,and its not only that im starting to also question how he manages to get around so much on that island in such a fast time despite him being so full.

Your right about not having enough herbivores in fact i think there was only 2,the triceratops and the ones with dr sorkin.

The T-Rex however may have eaten the helicopter pilot since he was in that area,all that metal and clothing cant be good on his stomach

And again i have to mention how it seemed the Troodon seemed like the dominant predator,they looked slim with big eyes O___O,i dont truly beleive ror a second a whole heard of dilophosaurus would run from just 1,and i know for a fact the raptors would tear those things to shreds

More curiously is how far away the quaratine pens on the island is yet they managed to get to the dilophosaurus area which is on the other side of the island in just a mere hour or so which is nearly 40 or 60 miles,uh yeah someone was not doing their math...

At this point you're just nip picking. I can see why you didn't enjoy this game now. It seems like you didn't pay alot of attention ot the plot or story. THE PILOT WAS NOT EATEN BY A REX. His body was later found. The troodon had build a nest inside his stomach! Nor was the Triceratops killed by the T-rex.

They never say when the troodon escaped containment. So I don't know what you mean by that. They could have escaped days before.

Also lionesses flee from hyenas all the time when they're outnumbered. So the fact that a few dillos and 3 raptors runaway from other predators is not really that shocking.

• @kasaki89 said: are you dumb...it was never meant to be a game or a shooter as all u homosapiens now a days want it to be , it was a cinematic adventurer , it has been stated over a 1000000 times , if you werent so dumb or stupid enough to open your eyes and actually read , u would of known that

If it was never meant to be a game then why is it called "Jurassic Park: The Game"?

• @RaventheBlack said: I'm serious when i say if that T-Rex eats that much he would have eaten everything off the island in 1 month,theres no stopping pacman and his lust for hunger,and its not only that im starting to also question how he manages to get around so much on that island in such a fast time despite him being so full.

kind of made a mistake here lol she not he

• Jurassic park the game has certainly received a lot of hype before its release. In some ways the hype is delivered with this game and in some ways it isn't. The graphical part of the game is fantastic. The dinosaurs are believable, their movement is fluid and they behave in realistic manners. The story has a way of pulling you in and the characters are in some ways bettere than the ones in the film.

The main problem with the game is that there is virtually no gameplay to speak of. Essentially it is one big quicktime action sequence. This actually did not bother me as much as it could have. The story proved to be interesting enough to follow and being forced to press buttons in sequences did in some way enhance the experience. There were a few puzzles which took more than 2 minutes to solve, but this was the exception rather than the rule. It seems that this is a growing tendency in telltale's games seeing as the BTTF series also featured very simple puzzles and little gameplay. In BTTF it was disturbing, but in Jurassic park it was tolerable.

Anyway there is one really big complaint coming from me. The game also discussed ethical and moral choices and their implications. But none of these choices seem to be open to the player. The game has multiple endings, but as far as I know they are decided by marginal decisions towards the very end. This is where the game has a lot of room for improvement. There were times where I wished I could actually make a contribution to the plot and change some of the things the characters did. It would have been extremely satisfying to watch events fold depending on your choices and this would have added more gameplay than smashing buttons in sequence.

<>

What really killed the game's replayability for me was the ending. From the moment I learned that InGen was planning to bomb the island, I started waiting for the part where the characters got to stop that from happening. For a while it seemed like it was actually one of the main objectives and then suddenly everybody just went along with the decision. As far as I know there is no way to prevent dr. Sorgen's death and that meant the whole stopping the bombing was hastily wrapped up. I mean like seriously wtf???? You get presented this wonderful game world with so many variable creatures and this really great jungle environment etc. Then the game ends with blowing everything up and murdering dozens of innocent animals?? I mean seriously guys, there was no allusion to this in the movie and in my opinion this part really made the book ending suck. There was no purpose for telltale to add this into the story as it is not part of the Jurassic Park movie canon. Had the game presented a choice to the player whether to stop the bombing or let it happen, then it would have been acceptable. But it just forced a moral message onto the player (in many ways this was similar to the movie) and then declared the decision to destroy the park to be the unilateral right thing to do. So the next time I show one of my friends the Tyrannosaurus vs Triceratops fight, I'm gonna be thinking, it doesn't really matter who won and what happened because both of them are going to die horribly in agony from napalm bombing. This just plain sucked and ruined the gaming experience.

Add Comment