User Avatar Image

Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

posted by tope1983 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

I know it's quite early for this thread but at least I don't really get one thing which we have already seen:

During the scene when Miles and Nima reach Dennis Nedry's jeep, why are they coming from the inner side of the island?
As the sign at the road indicates the east dock has to be somewhere at the end of the road after the tunnel!
scaled.php?server=841&filename=eastdockr

That's where Nima and Niles are approaching from:
nilesnimajptg.jpg

They are coming from the wrong side, especially because Miles was at the dock before.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hermes7282 said: I wish they referenced the mustache, like Jess finding a fake mustache in the back of the car, and Gerry getting all defensive.

Haha that would have been awesome. :D Telltale dropped the ball on that one.

• I liked how the game continued some ongoing themes from the films:

Dinosaur droppings

Though completely absent in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, both Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III feature scenes that have dinosaur droppings as the main object of attention. In the first film, Ellie searches through a pile from the Triceratops to find out why the animals get sick, in the third Grant touches and smells Pteranodon guano; later in the film, the Kirby's and Grant dig frantically through a pile of Spinosaurus dung in order to find the phone.

In the game, Jess notices a pile of Triceratops droppings during the tutorial chapter.

Divorce

An ongoing theme in the films. In Jurassic Park, Tim and Lex's parents are divorcing and Hammond brings them to the island to get their minds off the separation of their parents. Later, during the tour, Malcolm confesses to Grant he has three kids (presumably with three different ex-wives); in The Lost World: Jurassic Park we meet one of Malcolm's children, Kelly Curtis. She confronts him with his absence and his disinterest with her personal life.
    The disappearance of Eric Kirby over Isla Sorna has his divorced parents, Amanda and Paul Kirby, join forces in Jurassic Park III, eventually leading up to a possible reunion of the two.

According to the game, Jess's parents, Gerry Harding and her mother, have divorced as well. It's not clear if her older sister Sarah is daughter to the same mother. The divorce and Harding's work preventing him from hanging out with Jess, causes tensions between father and daughter.

Dinosaurs vs. Vehicles

This one's a given, but in good old Jurassic Park style, several vehicles in the game get ripped apart, trampled and destroyed, most notably another Jeep and two helicopters.

One big mistake the game made was the Bone Shaker roller coaster ride. In the film, Hammond clearly says, "I'm not talking about rides; everyone has rides. We have made biological attractions so astounding, they will capture the imagination of the entire planet." Clearly, Hammond implies that roller coaster rides are not meant to be part of this theme park. The roller coaster is one of the bigger deviations from the original story.

• Ow, thanks Sinaz! Now that you mention it, I recall having heard that, but wasn't entirely sure and thought it might have been my imagination filling up the gaps.

Were the above mentioned themes put in the game deliberately? An inquiring mind would love to know! :)

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Neelis said: Ow, thanks Sinaz! Now that you mention it, I recall having heard that, but wasn't entirely sure and thought it might have been my imagination filling up the gaps.

Were the above mentioned themes put in the game deliberately? An inquiring mind would love to know! :)

Yeah, all of that was deliberate.

I mean, we didn't have a meeting where we were like-- ok, more poop jokes!

Most of the themes throughout were established by Joe and Mark as they wrote the expository stuff for eps 1 and 2.

There's a lot of discussing about what needs continuity and closure from episode to episode. And then, a lot of discussion about small moments and nods that help to define the characteristics of a Jurassic Park story.

• I would like of Telltale to clarify inclusion of Boneshaker. It's my biggest complaint to the game...destroying movie canon. As Hammond say, Jurassic Park has different rides. It would be much better if Telltale included Jungle ride, or even made a scene with motor pool, or iconic Jurassic Park gate...

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@veki said: I would like of Telltale to clarify inclusion of Boneshaker. It's my biggest complaint to the game...destroying movie canon. As Hammond say, Jurassic Park has different rides. It would be much better if Telltale included Jungle ride, or even made a scene with motor pool, or iconic Jurassic Park gate...

...it makes for a really great action scene.

...it re-enforces Nima's disdain for InGen and her connection with the island.

...it represents the element of corporate investors trampling over the true vision of the park.

• I absolutely hated the idea of of the rollercoaster before I played it, but it was actually done in a way the fit in with the park pretty well. So way to prove me wrong/make me look like an idiot telltale! :)

• "And I'm not just talking about rides, everybody has rides"

I always thought that line implied that there were going to be rides at Jurassic Park, they just weren't going to be the main draw.

I do have a question. At the beginning of the game, Harding seems to know absolutely nothing about the troodons. Later, he also doesn't seem to know that Jurassic Park has a dino that can swim. As the head veterinarian in the park, shouldn't he know every species of dinosaur that they have? Did InGen keep these two species a secret from him? And if so, why?

• Hammond also says during the dinner while the slideshows show the Jungle River Cruise and Aviary, "None of these attractions are ready yet, of course. The park will open with with the basic tour you're about to take. And the other rides will come online six to twelve months after that. Absolutely spectacular designs, spared no expense."

But either way, the game does make it obvious that both Hammond's true vision of what the park should be and what his Board of Directors want it to be don't quite mesh, nor do either of those mesh with what some of Hammond's employees, namely Dr. Sorkin, believe.

Add Comment