User Avatar Image

Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

posted by tope1983 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

I know it's quite early for this thread but at least I don't really get one thing which we have already seen:

During the scene when Miles and Nima reach Dennis Nedry's jeep, why are they coming from the inner side of the island?
As the sign at the road indicates the east dock has to be somewhere at the end of the road after the tunnel!
scaled.php?server=841&filename=eastdockr

That's where Nima and Niles are approaching from:
nilesnimajptg.jpg

They are coming from the wrong side, especially because Miles was at the dock before.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What I think is an anachronism:

I've been buying glasses since the late 80s .. I don't remember seeing any glasses with half-rim frames in stores, like Dr. Sorkin is wearing, until the late 90s, long after Jurassic Park was out. When they came out it was a "new thing".

EDIT: I just looked up some stills of Dennis Nerdry... it looks like he had the half-rim glasses, so I was wrong... I still don't remember finding them around that time.

• I have one I don't think is mentioned...

In the film, Gerry Harding is with Ellie Sattler, who stays behind with the Trike. The only way for her to get back to the Visitor Center, which she does by the end of the night, in Harding's jeep. Now, in the story of the game, how can this be? We get an opening show of him spending time with Jess, then driving along the road at night only with her. How did Ellie Sattler fit into this time frame like she does in the film? I actually find it funny now that she and the other "guests" aren't mentioned, as far as I remember, since he does encounter them. Could have been a line like "I hope Dr. Sattler and the others are okay."

So... I think this could be a BIG plot hole, if you really think about it.

• @scallenger said: I have one I don't think is mentioned...

In the film, Gerry Harding is with Ellie Sattler, who stays behind with the Trike. The only way for her to get back to the Visitor Center, which she does by the end of the night, in Harding's jeep. Now, in the story of the game, how can this be? We get an opening show of him spending time with Jess, then driving along the road at night only with her. How did Ellie Sattler fit into this time frame like she does in the film? I actually find it funny now that she and the other "guests" aren't mentioned, as far as I remember, since he does encounter them. Could have been a line like "I hope Dr. Sattler and the others are okay."

So... I think this could be a BIG plot hole, if you really think about it.

Not a real plothole but could have been handled properly in the game.
    Like Jess being angry that even at work his father is flirting around: "You're always on the lookout for the future ex-Mrs. Harding, aren't you?"and Gerry answering sth. like "That was just one of Hammond's visitors. A paleobotanist who found out why our Trike was sick. I brought her back to my boss. Business as usual." "Mhm. As usual..." "I will not get drawn into another relationship debate with you Jess, I really will not!"

• LOL... wow I guess I forgot about that. Thanks for the clarification!

• Basically Gerry probably drops her off at the VC, drives out to the guest rooms to pick up Jess, gripes because she's not ready yet, misses the boat, and is driving back when they run into Nima.

• @Sinaz20 said: ...it makes for a really great action scene.

...it re-enforces Nima's disdain for InGen and her connection with the island.

...it represents the element of corporate investors trampling over the true vision of the park.

That's an acceptable explanation. Which makes me realize that Nima, Jess and Harding are forced to work together, even though the Harding's are taken hostage by Nima.

• @Neelis said: One big mistake the game made was the Bone Shaker roller coaster ride. In the film, Hammond clearly says, "I'm not talking about rides; everyone has rides. We have made biological attractions so astounding, they will capture the imagination of the entire planet." Clearly, Hammond implies that roller coaster rides are not meant to be part of this theme park. The roller coaster is one of the bigger deviations from the original story.

The movie (and the books) clearly state that JP is to have rides, they are just not complimentary to the tours.

About the the Hardings and Sattler.

When we first see Gerry and Jess, it's earlier in the day.

Gerry says he needs to check on a Triceratops, so he'll drop Jess at the guest house before doing that.

When we see them again later, the power of the park is already out, and they are late for the boat because Jess couldn't find her CD player (which, btw, isn't this an anacronism? I know CD drives existed in '93, but portable CD-players? If they existed, they must have been rather expensive).

There's enough time in that time skip for Gerry to meet Grant and the rest, take Sattler to the VC and look for Jess to get off the island.

• WTH, I was certain I made a post here.

Anyway, there's a significant time skip between the first time we play as Jess and Gerry and the second time.

Gerry can easily meet Grant and the others in that timeframe.

Then, when he drops Ellie at the VC, he looks for Jess, and they leave late for the boat because she couldn't find her CD player.

BTW, how expensive as a CD player back in 93? As I have some trouble believing Jess could have one.

• @MrSeyker said:
    BTW, how expensive as a CD player back in 93? As I have some truble believing Jess could have one.

Because her father works in Jurassic Park and given his status there and the top secret nature its pretty safe to assume he was paid a pretty darn good wage and culd afford to spoil his girl to make up for his abscence?

Add Comment