User Avatar Image

Was anyone else disappointed with Season 3's ending? (SPOILERS)

posted by Superninfreak on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Let me just start by saying that while I haven't posted much, I love Sam and Max. Some episodes (S1E4, S1E5, and S2E4 especially) were just brilliant. I also loved Season 3.

Until I got to the ending that is.

I had two major problems with it.

1. Max went completely out of character. After Max has been built up as evil for the entire series, it's not believable that he would die just so Sybil wouldn't have to give birth outside of a hospital. I don't think Max would even care if Sybil died, honestly.

2. Girl Stinky died despite the fact that she's alive in the future. This was a pretty glaring plot hole.

The worst part about it though is that I can SEE a brilliant ending in Season 3. Had they not made those mistakes, I would want that to be the finale of everything Sam and Max, just because of how beautiful an ending it would have been.

#1 could have easily been fixed if it were Sam who Max died for instead of Sybil. Sam is the only person I think Max would die for, and it would still get across the point that Max isn't completely irredeemable.

So yeah, thoughts?

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm a tiny bit drunk and this is an anonymous forum, so let me embarrass myself. Played the games again, and I still love the ending. The way they have a brief, awkward pause, and then immediately get over it is brilliant writing.

I read the comic books I had endlessly when I was younger, and when I first sparked an interest in comedy writing, I scanned over them tons of times to try and see what made me love it so much. One thing I noticed was how Sam and Max only actually care about something when it risks their ability to hang out together.

Neither actually get bothered about the other getting hurt or maimed, but if it ends up preventing them from the status quo, that's when they start to care. Max wouldn't hesitate to shoot Sam, but if he died or even just gained other interests, the lagomorph'd probably be inconsolable. It's selfish and just a little sweet, and it makes their amusement at all the crime and danger a lot funnier, seeing them as three dimensional characters. They don't make quips cause they're cartoons, they do it cause they don't give a shit (especially Sam, who pretty clearly knows better)

If there's a season 4, I imagine it'd be most in character that they never mention the time clone thing again, aside from a single handwaving remark. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

• @lookingintoittoomuch said: I'm a tiny bit drunk and this is an anonymous forum, so let me embarrass myself. Played the games again, and I still love the ending. The way they have a brief, awkward pause, and then immediately get over it is brilliant writing.

I read the comic books I had endlessly when I was younger, and when I first sparked an interest in comedy writing, I scanned over them tons of times to try and see what made me love it so much. One thing I noticed was how Sam and Max only actually care about something when it risks their ability to hang out together.

Neither actually get bothered about the other getting hurt or maimed, but if it ends up preventing them from the status quo, that's when they start to care. Max wouldn't hesitate to shoot Sam, but if he died or even just gained other interests, the lagomorph'd probably be inconsolable. It's selfish and just a little sweet, and it makes their amusement at all the crime and danger a lot funnier, seeing them as three dimensional characters. They don't make quips cause they're cartoons, they do it cause they don't give a shit (especially Sam, who pretty clearly knows better)

If there's a season 4, I imagine it'd be most in character that they never mention the time clone thing again, aside from a single handwaving remark. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Can we all just agree to this? Because this is absolutely correct.

• In my opinion, the ending to The City That Dares not sleep was worse then the Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama. Seymore and Max, we miss you both.

• Is there really two endings in this game? We only saw one! :)

• @grouik said: Is there really two endings in this game? We only saw one! :)

Depends on the choice you make: Recall Adventuring or Recall Crimefighting

• Ok this is a bit off subject but im just thinking something. In They Stole Max's Brain after the world is changed and everyone is brainwashed. Max is fine because of his powers but Sam should be fine too because of the anti-hypotise hat he got in Season 1

• Nope. He took his hat off when he went into noir mode. Really hosed himself there.

• Yeah but 2 things 1. when the world is brainwashed he has his hat on and when the world is back to normal he has his hat on

• @crfh said: Commas are your little buddies.

It Has Been fixed and i updated a part

Add Comment