User Avatar Image

Console-exclusive bonuses: an open letter

posted by ATMachine on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Dear Telltale,

I really hate to be such a misanthrope, but this is something I felt had to be addressed.

It seems that on the PS3 version of The Penal Zone, when you start up a second playthrough you get access to a new psychic power: the Nutrition Specs. These allow you to see intriguing new visions throughout the game.

Yet this bonus content is ONLY available on the PS3.

For shame, Telltale.

I am a die-hard PC gamer. I have never been able to "get the hang" of consoles, no matter how much I've tried. I've watched helplessly as big game companies abandoned the PC market, one by one, and transferred all their focus to the console world.

I thought Telltale was unique in placing so much of its efforts on the PC platform. This pleased me deeply, and cemented my love of your games.

When TOMI and then Sam and Max switched to direct control, I assumed it was because of the reasons Telltale stated, that it made it easier to construct the games' environments. Some naysayers claimed it was really because the company wanted to put the games on consoles, but I ignored them.

Then, in the promotion leading up to the release of The Penal Zone, the PS3 version was the only version featured in advertising. Again, I assumed this was because the PS3 was a new platform for Telltale, so you wanted to show it off as much as possible.

Now I find that Telltale has put out The Devil's Playhouse on PS3 with exclusive, extra-cool bonus content that the PC version lacks. This is something I had never expected would happen, and as a "console-illiterate" gamer, it pains me greatly. Moreover, it casts a new and uglier shadow over the previous events I mentioned above.

You've disappointed me, Telltale. I've learned you're just like every other game company: eager to move to the console market, and willing to shaft PC gamers in the process.

Please, prove me wrong in the future.

EDIT: So, maybe it's not so exclusive after all? Great! Mea culpa, I'm sorry, je suis desolé.

The lesson we can learn from this, I think, is that poor communication kills. I went off in a moment of anger and posted an ill-thought-out rant on these forums, but I wouldn't have done so if Telltale had cleared up the exact nature of the Penal Zone bonus content sometime earlier. Blame all around! ;)

221 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Dear Telltale Company,

you said numerous times in this thread that you have some surprises for us and there is (or will be) more bonus material for the PC version and obviously the Nutrispecs are included in the PC Version but deactivated (otherwise the hack wouldn't work). I don't mind being surprised but I do mind waiting forever. So would it maybe be possible to tell WHEN the big surprise will occur? Then I can looking forward to being surprised by nutrispecs (still want them the regular way) and other surprises you have in mind :)

Thank you for yor time

Marko

• Oh, I just thought of another wonderful thing Telltale has done semi-recently. :rolleyes:

The Great Adventure Bundle 2010. What a horrible abortion that was. Half the games still don't work properly. :(

• @Hassat Hunter said: But obviously, we do...
    Haven't we made that obvious enough by the many threads about it (and the Earl Boen 101 DL)?
    We care... although it get's harder and harder to care for TTG like this :(.

The key words are "enough to impact their bottom line".

Do you care?

Now, do you care to the extent that you're not buying Telltale games anymore?

Now, if you do, how many people share this view?

A vast majority of the audience is probably apathetic or slightly miffed. Most won't let it affect their purchasing decisions. A couple units isn't worth the manpower required, however little there may be. This is because they don't care about their customers, because companies that make money don't do that. They analyze their customers as a cost/benefit equation, as above, and when they decide that the cost of fulfilling promises is higher than the benefit of customer satisfaction, they simply turn their backs and fart in your general direction while courting an audience that is far larger than the one that you might currently belong to, and one that is far less caring about things like past promotions. More importantly, they're an audience whose money they don't have yet, heh heh heh.

• @Rather Dashing said: Now, do you care to the extent that you're not buying Telltale games anymore?

Maybe.
    I bought BttF before this was all known, but combined with ToMI it does start making me feel like watching out a bit before purchasing.

Am I the only one. Aren't you going to do the same due to declining difficulty?

• @Hassat Hunter said: Maybe.
    I bought BttF before this was all known, but combined with ToMI it does start making me feel like watching out a bit before purchasing.

Am I the only one. Aren't you going to do the same due to declining difficulty?

I have similar issues with BttF, but I'm willing to wait for the next two episodes before giving up preordering Telltale's games.
    (And I don't even care about the Nutrispecs...)

• @Pantagruel's Friend said: I have similar issues with BttF, but I'm willing to wait for the next two episodes before giving up preordering Telltale's games.
    (And I don't even care about the Nutrispecs...)

I don't really care about most of the things that I've mentioned in this thread, personally. I just care about the fact that Telltale seems to have taken a liking to promising things they have no plans on delivering any time soon.

• I've already played through the games. But bonus Content at all is awesome anyway .

• @SHODANFreeman said: I don't really care about most of the things that I've mentioned in this thread, personally. I just care about the fact that Telltale seems to have taken a liking to promising things they have no plans on delivering any time soon.

I agree, it's not a good sign - even though I'm on Telltale's main target platform, and I don't fall victim to stuff like incomplete seasons.
    The only thing I - very selfishly - care about is the quality of the games, and BttF EP1 is not too encouraging :(

• Are you ever going to release the PC bonus content, Jake?

Add Comment