User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 28.2K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: Alternating between Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask. I feel like I'm playing Ocarina of Time for morons. This is the most insultingly hint-laden Zelda I've ever seen. And Navi telling me to take a break just now doesn't help my attitude towards it any either.

    Really? I never paid attention to Navi, so I didn't get that feeling. Plus ignoring the wiggly Sheikah Stone helped. Though I did listen to her a couple of times, and yes, she pretty much tells you what you're supposed to do. Except after the Water Temple. That's still "Hey, you might want to look for clues about the last two sages!" What part of that says, "GO TO KAKARIKO VILLAGE TO KEEP IT FROM BURNING DOWN"? I swear, that part of the game makes no sense. You'd think the dumb fairy would say, "Hey, I see smoke from the village, maybe you should check it out?" *facepalm* For the most part, Navi's useless. I just ignore her and play the game my way.

    I will say this about the game's somewhat diluted difficulty. I think it's less Nintendo being condescending towards the past Zelda fans, and more like they realize...the current generation of gamers don't know what a hard game is. Anyone remember the original Zelda? You had NO clues about where to go. Just a wooden sword and a credo to go beat Ganon. That was it. I miss the good old days of "Nintendo hard".

  • @Shadowknight1 said: I will say this about the game's somewhat diluted difficulty. I think it's less Nintendo being condescending towards the past Zelda fans, and more like they realize...the current generation of gamers don't know what a hard game is. Anyone remember the original Zelda? You had NO clues about where to go. Just a wooden sword and a credo to go beat Ganon. That was it. I miss the good old days of "Nintendo hard".

    I remember never knowing how to actually get into each dungeon. Not one single signpost or hint. Nothing. No wonder I got sick of it so quickly.

    I'm not saying they had to spell it out out, but at least something to nudge me in the right direction would have been nice.

  • Of course, I'm watching someone playing through Skyward Sword on YouTube, and if not for his commentary, I would've stopped watching it a long time ago. He's so bad at the game, and even though people have told him what he's doing wrong, he doesn't seem to be paying attention. He does the same with Batman Arkham City. And it astounds me because he was freakin awesome at JURASSIC PARK! I can't count how many times I was expecting him to screw up at a point when I did and he made it just fine. Yet I'm better at Batman and Zelda? Strange, strange, strange.

  • @Shadowknight1 said: Really? I never paid attention to Navi, so I didn't get that feeling. Plus ignoring the wiggly Sheikah Stone helped. Though I did listen to her a couple of times, and yes, she pretty much tells you what you're supposed to do. Except after the Water Temple. That's still "Hey, you might want to look for clues about the last two sages!" What part of that says, "GO TO KAKARIKO VILLAGE TO KEEP IT FROM BURNING DOWN"? I swear, that part of the game makes no sense. You'd think the dumb fairy would say, "Hey, I see smoke from the village, maybe you should check it out?" *facepalm* For the most part, Navi's useless. I just ignore her and play the game my way.

    It does upset me that they made the Temple of Time so damn pretty, then ruined it by throwing that stupid Sheikah Stone in there. That said, it's been a couple of things that have irked me, even ignoring Navi 99% of the time. For example, they added a new "mandatory" Navi dialogue, in Jabu-Jabu. When you leave Ruto for the first time, to get the boomerang while Ruto holds down the switch for the door, Navi tells you that you should go back to where she is.

    Also, some of the other dialogue has been tweaked to make it more leading, such as the Great Fairy on Death Mountain telling you about her friend. In the original, she just says she has a friend who lives near Hyrule Castle. In 3D, she's much more specific about the location. It's things like that that get on my nerves. There's just so much hand-holding. And the fact that Nintendo felt that it was necessary in a 13 year old game targeted at Zelda fans is just ridiculous.

  • I'm sort of playing Skyward Sword twice over. I have a savegame that I'm playing with my wife watching, and copy it to another slot that that I play on my own when she's not around. Sometimes when I play the game with my wife I catch up to the progress my other game has, so I delete the one that has fewer collectibles obtained and load the other.

    At present, I'm heading to the first flame, after helping the dragon. That's not spoilery at all for me to say. Trust me.

  • I'm replaying Tales of Monkey Island for the first time :D And it's inspired me to come back to these forums.

  • @Darth Marsden said: I'm not saying they had to spell it out out, but at least something to nudge me in the right direction would have been nice.

    All I hear is "WAHHHHHHH ITS TOO HARD HELP ME NINTENDO HELP ME TOM CRUISE LET ME WIN INSTANTLY WAHHHHHHHHHHH DIFFICULT GAMES SUUUUUCK ASSSSS WHERES MY BELOVED HALO SO I CAN WANK ON IT".

  • Rockband,ugh.

    Now I remember what I didn't like about the early Guitar Hero/Rock Band games.

    The fact that most of the songs had to be unlocked via career mode.

    That was fine in Guitar Hero 3 at least, since it has a fantastic setlist, but in Rock Band, its a real chore.
    Sure there a few good songs in each tier, but it almost deliberately puts all the crap songs in the lower tiers, which motivates me less to get further.
    (Warriors of Rock is guilty of the same thing. Which begins with either Punk, or Emo metal. Punk is tolerable, (some songs are just painful), but Emo crap, me no likey! >:X

    Rock Band 3 is excellent. It really is.
    The interface is better, and the DLC is fantastic for a metal head like myself.

  • @Secret Fawful said: All I hear is "WAHHHHHHH ITS TOO HARD HELP ME NINTENDO HELP ME TOM CRUISE LET ME WIN INSTANTLY WAHHHHHHHHHHH DIFFICULT GAMES SUUUUUCK ASSSSS WHERES MY BELOVED HALO SO I CAN WANK ON IT".

    Dammit, you read between the lines and caught my hidden message. Curse you and your intellect! I could never hope to match wits against you!

Add Comment