User Avatar Image

Do you normally turn the in-game hints off first thing?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 267 users

Taking the question from another post regarding TT games:

@Dlenart said: When you guys play our games do you normally turn the hints off first thing? Just curious.

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @caeska said: Hints have no place inside a game. Especially in TT games where they give an entire walkthrough instead of hints. If you're really really stuck then it's just a small matter of going to gamefaqs.com anyway.

False. Why add one extra step? Tips inside the games are convenient.

• I turn them off until I find a part that I just can not figure out (Like how to get the presidents saliva, which the hints didn't help there). With any luck, I don't need them. I like it difficult a lot of times.

• @DAISHI said: False. Why add one extra step? Tips inside the games are convenient.

Too convenient. You should be suffering by doing extra work to cheat. It should make you feel bad. Now that they're in the game everyone thinks it's ok.

It's a crazy world nowadays! The world is upside down!

• @MusicallyInspired said: Too convenient. You should be suffering by doing extra work to cheat. It should make you feel bad. Now that they're in the game everyone thinks it's ok.

It's a crazy world nowadays! The world is upside down!

It's just entertainment. It's trivial. Punish me for cheating on a test, not for trying to enjoy myself.

• @DAISHI said: It's just entertainment. It's trivial. Punish me for cheating on a test, not for trying to enjoy myself.

Why play the game at all then? Why not just watch a playthrough on Youtube instead? Or better yet, have the game be one whole movie-sequence that solves itself while you're asleep. That would be exactly the same thing.

Having hints in game is certainly not trivial, it destroys the whole enjoyment of figuring something out and if you just want the solutions then I don't understand why you would play computer games to begin with.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Too convenient. You should be suffering by doing extra work to cheat. It should make you feel bad. Now that they're in the game everyone thinks it's ok.

I agree. I have used ingame hints before (because they are there) in some games (not all are TTG; eg. Phantasmagoria) but I greatly prefer being forced to visit gamefaqs/ign/gamespot to find a guide.

If people want help at their fingertips every set of the way, they should have to buy a paper strategy guide.

• @caeska said: Why play the game at all then? Why not just watch a playthrough on Youtube instead? Or better yet, have the game be one whole movie-sequence that solves itself while you're asleep. That would be exactly the same thing.

Having hints in game is certainly not trivial, it destroys the whole enjoyment of figuring something out and if you just want the solutions then I don't understand why you would play computer games to begin with.

Its fine if you don't understand because were separate individuals with separate preferences. If I get stuck I want the convenience of in game hints, simple as that. I don't get a sense of accomplishment from beating a game because it is a trivial pursuit when set against the greater whole of my life.

• @DAISHI said: Its fine if you don't understand because were separate individuals with separate preferences. If I get stuck I want the convenience of in game hints, simple as that. I don't get a sense of accomplishment from beating a game because it is a trivial pursuit when set against the greater whole of my life.

In other words, you would prefer for a game to be just easy enough that the solution to each and every puzzle is almost immediately determinable after said puzzle is encountered on the first playthrough, because you believe getting stuck or having to backtrack is a waste of time, and you have better things to do than play hard video games.

• I actually do have better things to do than play hard video games yes. It's why I play my games on Normal instead of Hard.

• I tend to turn them off for adventure games. With other games, though, I usually stay away from Hard Mode unless I'm really in the mood. I see games as more of a relaxation than a challenge (but that's just me).

Add Comment