User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 14.9K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Fealiks said: I'm replaying Tales of Monkey Island for the first time :D And it's inspired me to come back to these forums.

Nice to see you back. You probably don't remember me, since I was a lurker for a long time and therefore possess the ability to creep people out by remembering them when I should not have that ability.

• @GuruGuru214 said: It does upset me that they made the Temple of Time so damn pretty, then ruined it by throwing that stupid Sheikah Stone in there. That said, it's been a couple of things that have irked me, even ignoring Navi 99% of the time. For example, they added a new "mandatory" Navi dialogue, in Jabu-Jabu. When you leave Ruto for the first time, to get the boomerang while Ruto holds down the switch for the door, Navi tells you that you should go back to where she is.

Also, some of the other dialogue has been tweaked to make it more leading, such as the Great Fairy on Death Mountain telling you about her friend. In the original, she just says she has a friend who lives near Hyrule Castle. In 3D, she's much more specific about the location. It's things like that that get on my nerves. There's just so much hand-holding. And the fact that Nintendo felt that it was necessary in a 13 year old game targeted at Zelda fans is just ridiculous.

Hmm. Maybe so. I still prefer the 3DS version now. *shrugs*

• They added a marker on the map for the trading sequence. In adult Malon's initial dialogue, after "If I disobey Mr. Ingo, he will treat the horses so badly... So... There's nothing I can do...", they added "Maybe I can sing them their favorite song." HINT HINT. And while I was in the Forest Temple, perfectly on course, Navi interrupted me to say that maybe I should go find a Sheikah Stone and get some help. This game has now reached the level of "fucking insulting". I've finally discovered a game whose heavy-handed hint system pisses me off even more than the one in Back to the Future.

Edit: More insult. "It sure was a surprise to find out that Saria is one of the sages! I wonder how Sheik is doing? Anyway, off to the Temple of Time!" Even if they felt they needed to add that, it should've been one of those things where Navi wants to talk to you, not one of those things where Navi talks whether you want it or not.

• Maybe I just don't notice these things because I don't talk to the characters much any more in Ocarina of Time. I already know where I'm going and what I'm doing.

BTW, a friend of mine was telling me that a coworker was asking how to get into Dampe's grave, and the guy thought it was on the ledge that you get to with either the hookshot or a magic bean, but he didn't plant a magic bean and he couldn't go back in time, so the guy restarted the file. *facepalm* THESE ARE THE GUYS THAT THOSE HINTS ARE FOR.

• The easier games get, the dumber gamers start to get, and the games get easier still. This is not acceptable.

• I am currently deciding which console game of the past year or so is most worth playing again. You see, to me there are three types of games... replayable, satisfying, and garbage I didn't bother finishing(I'm looking at you Castlevania; gathering dust on my floor).

• @GuruGuru214 said: The easier games get, the dumber gamers start to get, and the games get easier still. This is not acceptable.

Hence all the complaints about the Adventure Game genre of games.

"I don't want to solve some stupid puzzle! If I wanted to do that, I'd play a puzzle game like Bejeweled!"

Speaking of which, I started playing that again tonight. Easy to pick up as it was easy to put down the first time. I'm not one for high score achievements. :p

• Really? It was so hard to figure out Volvagia's weak point, they felt they had to make his face flash green? Every time I think this game's hand holding can't sink lower, it surprises me.

And yes, I already know about the guide lines and extra cutscene in the Water Temple.

• @GuruGuru214 said: [talking about the many things Zelda OoT 3D changed to dumb down challenges for the player]

Now you see none of that stuff bothered me when I was playing through it because I already knew how to do everything, I just ignored all hints and I didn't bother talking to the stones once I knew what they were. However if I were playing the game for the first time I sure I would have been annoyed by how obvious some of the things are.

I will add this to the list of lameness if you haven't already talked about it, on the trading sequence quest for Biggoron's Sword the map points out the exact location of the next person you have to trade with, taking all thinking out of the equation and making the whole quest pretty much redundant. It's now just an elaborate time waster.

• Mario Kart 7.

Love it. :D

EDIT: HELL YEAH! ONLINE MULTIPLAYER IS AWESOME!

I'm playing all these Japanese people, (games not out yet here), and I've been kicking ass!

I've actually won 2 races, which I never normally do.

Go Mario and his Gerkin mobile!

Add Comment