User Avatar Image

Are the Dilo's really stunted?

posted by Mike55 on - last edited - Viewed by 287 users

Hello a friend of mine on another site is really POed that the Dilos are stuck as juvies. Me and another firend have brought up some arguments AGAINST it but he wants us to ask you guys. So are the Dilos really stunted or just Juvies? He's concerned that it's a retcon to what little canon has been established to his favorite animals. 11:47 PM
EDIT:Proof that they aren't stunted
Nedry's line in the movie "Oh I thought you where one of your big brothers"-Sure Nedry's dumb but eh was smart enough to leave the Raptor pen on and knew enough about the Dinos that his word counts for something.
TLW Dilo Screensaver-http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/debates/DiloDebate.jpg This was on the computer in the trailer.
Spielberg's word-Spielberg has said that the Dilos where juvies.

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How do you know it was a Dilopho nest? It could've been anyone's, and the Dilopho was just nearby and hungry.

A real mother would never stop protecting their nest, so why would the Dilopho just run off?

• @Hermes7282 said: How do you know it was a Dilopho nest? It could've been anyone's, and the Dilopho was just nearby and hungry.

A real mother would never stop protecting their nest, so why would the Dilopho just run off?

It could have been hunting for food, then it could have heard an intruder, then it would have been like :mad:

• @nanotyrano said: It could have been hunting for food, then it could have heard an intruder, then it would have been like :mad:

But then it would try to kill him. Animal mothers do that. They wouldn't leave, they would protect it to the best of their abilities. I think some dino laid an egg, the Dilo was nearby, and saw Yoder, and wanted food.

• I read somewhere, (years ago! sorry don't have the source) that at the time the movie was made, the biggest Dilophosaur that had been discovered was around the size of the one in the movie. Scientist wondered how it could kill larger prey being that size. So that's why for the JP movie they gave it the frill around his neck and the ability to spit paralyzing venom. So it could be easier for him to kill. And AFTER the movie came out, a 9 foot Dilo was found. With that size, it became pretty clear it didn't need any special tricks to kill.

• @Mike55 said: Hello a friend of mine on another site is really POed that the Dilos are stuck as juvies. Me and another firend have brought up some arguments AGAINST it but he wants us to ask you guys. So are the Dilos really stunted or just Juvies? He's concerned that it's a retcon to what little canon has been established to his favorite animals. 11:47 PM
    EDIT:Proof that they aren't stunted
    Nedry's line in the movie "Oh I thought you where one of your big brothers"-Sure Nedry's dumb but eh was smart enough to leave the Raptor pen on and knew enough about the Dinos that his word counts for something.
    TLW Dilo Screensaver-http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/debates/DiloDebate.jpg This was on the computer in the trailer.
    Spielberg's word-Spielberg has said that the Dilos where juvies.

story purposes, i think they are Stunted, doesn't it say in the journal you get during episode 2? i could be wrong.

for the film purpose, Spielberg didn't want the audience confusing them for Raptors, so he scaled them down to distinguish the two species.

• @JPPR_002 said: I read somewhere, (years ago! sorry don't have the source) that at the time the movie was made, the biggest Dilophosaur that had been discovered was around the size of the one in the movie. Scientist wondered how it could kill larger prey being that size. So that's why for the JP movie they gave it the frill around his neck and the ability to spit paralyzing venom. So it could be easier for him to kill. And AFTER the movie came out, a 9 foot Dilo was found. With that size, it became pretty clear it didn't need any special tricks to kill.

yea, Dilo's don't have any evidence of them having frills and the ability to spit venom. Crichton took liberties for the Dilo's when writing the book, wanted to make them more interesting. which makes sense, it is a work of fiction and wanted to make it more terrifying. Spielberg added the frills to add the terror.

• Evidence with Dilo's is a big problem because anyone can't write in this Environment.

• Hmm according to Jurassic Park Wiki the Noval has ones that are 10 foot tall that bigger than the real ones (hight wise). The film uses Juvies, dunno what the game has though.

Add Comment