User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 7.8K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @SHODANFreeman said: I miss 2D Zelda. And Skyward Sword feels like it was made 10 years ago, and not in a good, nostalgic way. More of a "Have they been living under a rock for a decade? Who designs a game like this anymore?" way.

You know, you seem to go out of your way to hate on everything. And in a really annoying way. At least RatherDashing can be amusing at times.

• @JedExodus said: Pick one.

Clearly, you can't read. I said "not in a good, nostalgic way". Also, 2D is a style of game, it doesn't have to feel like it was made 10 years ago to be 2D. Terraria doesn't feel 10 years old.

• I miss 2D Zelda as well. Phantom Hourglass was good, and Spirit Tracks was great, but with Nintendo only making 3D Zelda games on consoles (and with the release of Ocarina 3D, they could move to only make 3D Zelda games on portable), together, the two games seem to confirm that portable Zelda will be touch screen controls only, and we may not see another classic-style 2D Zelda.

Thankfully, as soon as I finish Majora's Mask, I get to start the Oracle games, my sentimental favorites of the series. Not that I'm in any rush. I love Termina.

• @SHODANFreeman said: Clearly, you can't read. I said "not in a good, nostalgic way". Also, 2D is a style of game, it doesn't have to feel like it was made 10 years ago to be 2D. Terraria doesn't feel 10 years old.

By 2D you overy clearly meant Zelda from ten years prior (wait that's not right, whatevz), let's not beat around the bush here. You want Link to the Past and Links Awakening. And when Nintendo does it you'll be waiting in the shadows to shout rehash.

• @JedExodus said: By 2D you overy clearly meant Zelda from ten years prior, let's not beat around the bush here. You want Link to the Past and Links Awakening. And when Nintendo does it you'll be waiting in the shadows to shout rehash.

A huge percentage of the great indie games coming out recently are 2D, and most of them don't feel like cheap, warmed over rehashes. If Nintendo basically just remade A Link to the Past and just swapped the sprites around and made a new world map and dungeons, I wouldn't be interested. I want games like Minish Cap, and Four Swords. Games that actually attempt to add worthwhile mechanics and ideas to the genre.

• @SHODANFreeman said: A huge percentage of the great indie games coming out recently are 2D, and most of them don't feel like cheap, warmed over rehashes. If Nintendo basically just remade A Link to the Past and just swapped the sprites around and made a new world map and dungeons, I wouldn't be interested. I want games like Minish Cap, and Four Swords. Games that actually attempt to add worthwhile mechanics and ideas to the genre.

There's plenty of new and worthwhile ideas and mechanics in the new Zelda game, I haven't cleared it at all, but here's what i've encountered.

-Total combat overhaul

-Blurring between dungeon and overworld gameplay

-New items

-Reused items have all been given a new mechanic/slant

-'Classic' Zelda structure has been rejiggered

The general consensus is that it's a very strong Zelda title and that it's the first Zelda title in quite a while to stick its neck out and do new things. It's not radically different, but what Zelda game is really bar Majoras Mask? And if you wanted to be a grumpus you could say that was OoT all over again.

Anyhoo, everyone in this thread that played it bar you loved it, and it's a shame you couldn't enjoy it as much as the rest of us. I hope the next offering is something you can enjoy and be enthusiastic about.

• Speaking of Four Swords, I haven't played that one yet, because before now there wasn't a single-player mode. (Note to self: download that game to the 3DS ASAP.)

Well, that and the so-bad-it's-good CD-i games, though I have memorized the dialogue of most of them. I wonder what's for DINNER?

• @lattsam said: Speaking of Four Swords, I haven't played that one yet, because before now there wasn't a single-player mode. (Note to self: download that game to the 3DS ASAP.)

Well, that and the so-bad-it's-good CD-i games, though I have memorized the dialogue of most of them. I wonder what's for DINNER?

Oh god, please do not speak of those abominations.

GuruGuru, even though I don't share your opinion on Ocarina of Time 3D, I do give you credit for your taste. The Oracle games were fantastic.

And I sure hope that future portable games either build on what Ocarina of Time 3D has done, or go back to 2D. Without the BS touch screen control. That's the one thing that keeps me from buying the two DS games. I find the idea of controlling Link by dragging him around the bottom screen very...uninteresting.

• @JedExodus said: It's not radically different, but what Zelda game is really bar Majoras Mask?

Zelda II: Side-scrolling combat/dungeons, no items, exp/level system, large use of magic. Easily the most "different" game in the series.

A Link to the Past: Light/Dark world mechanic, the likes of which I've only ever seen elsewhere in Metroid Prime 2.

Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons: Game linking system.

Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures: Multiple Links.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@GuruGuru214 said: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons: Game linking system.

And they didn't take the Pokeyman route. These were two separate, different mechanic and storyline, equally great games.

Also, Oracle of Ages was my very first Zelda title.

Add Comment