User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 8.8K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It was my first too, hence the sentimental favoritism. The first Zelda I owned however, was Oracle of Seasons. A friend made me borrow Ages, and I liked it so much, I took my password from his finished game and bought a copy of Seasons to continue into. It was quite a while later that I got a copy of Ages for myself.

So it's night of the second day, and I just reached the Snowhead Temple. You might ask why it took me so long to reach the temple.

It's because I did Woodfall on the first day. Other than a couple quick trips to get Kamaro's Mask and the Bunny Hood, this is the first cycle in which I've left Clock Town.

• @GuruGuru214 said: A Link to the Past: Light/Dark world mechanic, the likes of which I've only ever seen elsewhere in Metroid Prime 2.

Gotta ask, how exactly is that different from the Young Link/Adult Link worlds in Ocarina of Time or the Twilight Realm/Hyrule thing in Twilight Princess? Both seem to be directly riffing on that mechanic.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Gotta ask, how exactly is that different from the Young Link/Adult Link worlds in Ocarina of Time or the Twilight Realm/Hyrule thing in Twilight Princess? Both seem to be directly riffing on that mechanic.

In Ocarina of Time, you have different equipment only available in either time period; and there are people you meet in the future who remember decisions you made in the past (eg. Guru-Guru). In LTTP, you can directly affect one world by interacting with the other, but no one from one side encounters you in the other (the boy with the flute is an illusion and doesn't count.)

In Twilight Princess, in twilit Hyrule you have no human-equippable items at all, and the twilit areas are only available for a limited period, as it it Link's job to restore them to normal. In Link to the Past, all items you obtain in the light world are available to you in the dark world once you obtain the Moon Pearl, and you are supposed to explore the dark world, not eliminate it (if/when it reverts to the Golden Land, that happens at the end of the game and is not seen.)

...I know what you're going to say. That they're still variations on a theme. Well, screw that. I don't agree. LTTP, OOT and TP are excellent games, and Nintendo did a wonderful job on all of them.

• @Chyron8472 said: ...I know what you're going to say. That they're still variations on a theme. Well, screw that. I don't agree. LTTP, OOT and TP are excellent games, and Nintendo did a wonderful job on all of them.

They may be variations on a theme. That was kind of the point I was trying to make. However, I am not deriding any of those games for that. All of them had strong gameplay and stories and characters, though I think Twilight Princess was trying too hard to be Ocarina of Time and to cater to the "OMG MUST HAVE REALZ GRAPHIX!!" crowd. Compared to other games, it just seemed very...drab, graphically.

Believe me, the only Zelda game that I really look down on is Zelda II, and I'll admit that I'm not giving it a fair chance, but I will eventually. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks...might be worth the annoyance of the touch screen controls? Maybe? What do you guys think?

And no, I am NOT counting the CD-i abominations in the above statement. Those games should be wiped from the face of the Earth.

• While I agree that LTTP, OOT, and TP are all excellent games, it's so totally a rip off variation of the same idea. I'd like to see another solid Zelda game without a dual-world mechanic. Something different.

• @Shadowknight1 said: I think Twilight Princess was trying too hard to be Ocarina of Time and to cater to the "OMG MUST HAVE REALZ GRAPHIX!!" crowd.

Fans had been looking forward to Twilight Princess ever since the Spaceworld 2000 tech demo. The idea that one could play as a (then realistic) Adult Link, fighting Ganon with superior GameCube graphics was quite appealing. I like playing as an Adult Link. It was bad marketing to suddenly switch to the Wind Waker-style graphics after giving the fans this to look forward to. If Twilight Princess is reminiscent of Ocarina of Time, arguably one of the best video games of all time, then so be it.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Gotta ask, how exactly is that different from the Young Link/Adult Link worlds in Ocarina of Time or the Twilight Realm/Hyrule thing in Twilight Princess? Both seem to be directly riffing on that mechanic.

No. I wouldn't call the time travel or the Twilight Realm weak by any means, but they're nowhere near as strong as in A Link to the Past/Echoes. In both of those games, you basically have two overworlds that correspond to each other and which can only be explored by making use of the differences between them and traveling back and forth. The overworlds have the same shape, but are in fact completely different from each other.

Ocarina of Time's time travel was just one overworld where certain things changed just a little bit when you traveled through time. There was only one location to switch between time periods, and unlike even Oracle of Ages, you didn't progress into new areas by traversing part of it in one time period, then part in another, and so on.

As for Twilight Princess, the Twilight covered areas of Hyrule weren't so much another world as they were sections of the game where you were locked in wolf form, and the Twilight Realm itself didn't correspond to Hyrule at all.

Call it riffing on the same mechanic if you must, but the only Zelda game that has explored the dual overworld concept as thoroughly as A Link to the Past is Oracle of Ages. The Tune of Echoes behaves like the Dark World warps in ALttP, except it's bi-directional. The Tune of Currents behaves like the Magic Mirror. And the Tune of Ages takes it a step further and is what ALttP would've been like if you could switch between realms at will. Those are the only two games in the series with the corresponding overworld mechanic.

@Shadowknight1 said: Believe me, the only Zelda game that I really look down on is Zelda II, and I'll admit that I'm not giving it a fair chance, but I will eventually.

I used to be the same way, until about a month and a half ago. Trust me, once you spend some more time playing it, get over the idea of game overs being a bad thing (as long as they're in the right place), and sort of learn how to effectively do things, your outlook on it improves tremendously. It's definitely not my new favorite or anything, but I don't hate it anymore.

Edit: Got the last Stray Fairy in Snowhead exactly at Dawn of the Final Day. Finished off Goht by 8:30. I just have to go turn in the Stray Fairies and get my Powder Keg license and I'm done with this incredibly full three days.

Edit x2: Besides just getting to the temples and finishing them, I've also done the Deku Butler race, gotten both quiver upgrades at the shooting galleries, got the Giant Bomb Bag, and got Don Gero's Mask.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Zelda II: Side-scrolling combat/dungeons, no items, exp/level system, large use of magic. Easily the most "different" game in the series.

A Link to the Past: Light/Dark world mechanic, the likes of which I've only ever seen elsewhere in Metroid Prime 2.

Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons: Game linking system.

Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures: Multiple Links.

Zelda 2's the red-headed step-child though. And the duel world-mechanic, without getting into the finer points. is in LttP OoT and TP as peeps said. I'd count it as standard fare at this point.

Oh, my first game was Links Awakening whilst we're on the subject, I was five years old at the time and I got it for Christmas along with a Game Boy. It kicked so much ass!

Add Comment